241 replies to this topic

#1 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:30 pm

Our Carpe Family has been wonderful support to me during my recent crisis and I thank you guys very much   :wub:

My late wife, Iryna was such a big personality of inspiration, integrity & humour, that unless I keep my brain occupied, I can see an emotional "Grand Canyon" looming in the very near future.

The 83 year old mother-in-law has lost both her husband (married for over 60 years) & her young 55 year old daughter within the past 18 months and is keen to visit remaining family in Northampton. I think she would really appreciate a chaperone to travel "home to the UK" for say 5 weeks in June 2014. Basically I'd drop her off & pick her up 5 weeks later for the trip back to Australia.

Consequently I am thinking about the following & was curious as to whether you think it is at all possible & where should I be looking for answers/help.

The Plan: Riding UK's "B", "C" & "D" etc roads in summer and enjoy cake.  :P

Initial thoughts:

Acquire/hire a van & touring motorcycle in the back and drive to various base locations, then  ................................... Ride !  :yeahbaby: 

I already have Family/Friend contacts in

(a) Northampton
(b) Hereford:                                             to ride the Welch roads
© Over Kellet:                                         to ride The Lakes District & Yorkshire Dales
(d) Northern Scotland:                             to ride the Scottish Highlands

http://goo.gl/maps/bd9B6

Update: June 2014 Time will only allow me to ride northern UK/Scotland https://maps.google....,7,9,10&t=h&z=7

:dunno:

Many thanks in advance. :good:

Edited by masterbrewer, 21 June 2014 - 10:21 pm.

#2 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:13 pm

Forget the van and just ride!

Applecross, Oban, Fort William in fact anywhere along the west coast of jockland. Tomintoul to Ballater over the Lecht is an absolute hoot. So much so you'll turn around and have another go just for sport! Bigboat of this parish is your man for over that way.

Let us know when you're coming and it may end up as a rideout!

Edited by Matt101, 14 September 2013 - 09:14 pm.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:21 pm

No need for a Van MB, lots of riding in the UK and 5 weeks is long enough for lots of it.... sure some of us would be happy to meet up....crikey you even have time for Ireland fella  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:45 pm

Great prospect born out of sad circumstances.

Northampton is an hour max from here. Would be good to meet and ride along for a bit.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#5 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:18 pm

Not sure if I understand correctly. Drop off your 83 mother in law and her pillion f 5 week? Que?
24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider

#6 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:18 am

Gee! that was quick :huh:

OK it's AA Confession Time.     :isurrender:

"My name is Kym & I am a woosy.  :blush2:

I don't like getting wet or dirty.

I Photoshop my ride reports"  :rotflmmfao:

Actually my thinking was that if the weather turned bad in any particular area, I could drive in the shitty weather to another location & when it clears up ...... go riding  :yeahbaby:

That way I would be maximising my riding all over the UK so I can catch up to as many as you lot as possible.

TonyDevil (a Carpe member) offered me one of his bikes to hire, a few years ago, but I don't know where he's at these days.

Looking to contact your recommended bike shops, so a Name & web address would be helpful.

Cheers

Not sure if I understand correctly. Drop off your 83 mother in law and her pillion f 5 week? Que?

Been on the piss tonight, hey? Rob :lol:

Edited by masterbrewer, 15 September 2013 - 09:01 pm.

#7 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:59 pm

Would you base your plans on hiring out of (or near) Northampton? Google search looks potentially fruitful.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#8 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:34 pm

Would you base your plans on hiring out of (or near) Northampton? Google search looks potentially fruitful.

Probably if the price is right, as I assume her sister in Northampton would collect us from the airport.

#9 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:10 pm

Don't worry too much about hiring MB -  I'm sure I could find you something in me garage to borrow for a few weeks as long as you can get some insurance  ;)

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#10 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:55 pm

Don't worry too much about hiring MB -  I'm sure I could find you something in me garage to borrow for a few weeks as long as you can get some insurance  ;)

Is that the van or the bike?

In any case you are most generous & I can't thank you enough.   :signthankspin:    :wub:   

Maybe at the very least, liquid remuneration &/or cake would be in order.    :drinks:

Edited by masterbrewer, 16 September 2013 - 05:32 am.

#11 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:41 am

Kym if you want to ride roads you would not normally venture as a tourist why not have a go at the round Britain Rally? have a word with Buzzo, Steve for an unbiased Aussie reaction sure we can arrange a few rides with this involvement. :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:20 am

Wales, Scotland, Lake district and Yorkshire dales all have fantastic roads. Northampton less so.

You can get between any of those areas in a day on a bike (2 days to northern Scotland if you want to avoid the boring roads) so personally I wouldn't bother with the van unless you're hauling a lot of luggage between base locations.

Edited by ChrisG, 16 September 2013 - 08:23 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:39 pm

Kym if you want to ride roads you would not normally venture as a tourist why not have a go at the round Britain Rally? have a word with Buzzo, Steve for an unbiased Aussie reaction sure we can arrange a few rides with this involvement. :good:

:um:

#14 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:51 pm

Our Carpe Family has been wonderful support to me during my recent crisis and I thank you guys very much   :wub:

My late wife, Iryna was such a big personality of inspiration, integrity & humour, that unless I keep my brain occupied, I can see an emotional "Grand Canyon" looming in the very near future.

(d) Northern Scotland:                             to ride the Scottish Highlands

http://goo.gl/maps/bd9B6

:dunno:

Many thanks in advance. :good:

http://goo.gl/maps/yKlXJ

if your going to that neck of the woods I'd go with these roads, the old fire station in Tomintul has good cakes and a whisky shop. Tomatin has a distilary. Point F is were you can usually see dolphins if you time it right. If need anymore Scottish roads let me know.

TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 17 September 2013 - 08:55 pm.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#15 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:24 pm

Thanks for your suggestion Tam  :good:

The destinations on my map indicate family & friends I plan to see, getting between them is another story altogether.   :groucho:

I'll expect to be spending more time though, with my mate in Scotland who lives opposite the Benrinnes distillery

May have to vary my name on the trip from;

MB = many bakeries to  :cake eating:

MB = many breweries to   :drinks:

MD = many distilleries    :yeahbaby:

I'll be on :cloud9:

:rotflmmfao:

#16 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:58 pm

Probably if the price is right, as I assume her sister in Northampton would collect us from the airport.

We live en route between the two, so could probably help out if there's a problem

#17 NZTDMGUY

NZTDMGUY

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:55 am

As the others have said, you won't need the van.  It will just be another vehicle to insure and possibly repair, unless you want it for budget accommodation.  Distances are short, compared to your recent efforts, and the accommodations are pleasing so if the weather turns, stop and enjoy the locals  :pimp:

Another option is to buy the bike in Europe, claim back the VAT, ride it and ship it home.  Can be a good deal if you keep the bike in OZ.

Cheers from NZ

(Although having a month in Thailand at present)

2008 TDM900 in lovely red
Scorpion cans
Power Commander (under review)

#18 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:33 pm

Is that the van or the bike?

In any case you are most generous & I can't thank you enough.   :signthankspin:    :wub:   

Maybe at the very least, liquid remuneration &/or cake would be in order.    :drinks:

Bike only mate - haven't got a van ! - might even have a Mk2 TDM - if it's in the country  ;)

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#19 bigboat0

bigboat0

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:23 pm

Let me know if you are planning on coming up to North East Scotland.

#20 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:11 pm

As the others have said, you won't need the van.  It will just be another vehicle to insure and possibly repair, unless you want it for budget accommodation.  Distances are short, compared to your recent efforts, and the accommodations are pleasing so if the weather turns, stop and enjoy the locals  :pimp:

Another option is to buy the bike in Europe, claim back the VAT, ride it and ship it home.  Can be a good deal if you keep the bike in OZ.

Cheers from NZ

(Although having a month in Thailand at present)

:um:

Bike only mate - haven't got a van ! - might even have a Mk2 TDM - if it's in the country  ;)

:banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users