#262 Stonie

Stonie

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:45 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Tue 27th May 2008, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jochen, I think I may have met a few people this weekend who's English was better than mine blush.gif

that was not me, i'm sure rotflmmfao.gif

#263 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:31 pm

Well ive got my bike all clean again now. Riding along the M25, M1 and M6 in the biggest rain storm ive ever seen helped get rid of some bug splats. My water proof kit lasted till about 100 miles from home and then just gave up the ghost, Soaked I was. Pilot road 2s are a must. They stuck in the dry and wet and I only had one shinkter twitch at 75 mph when driving through a massive puddle in the outside lane on the one unlit portion of the motorway. Those pants are now in the wash unsure.gif
Topped up 1600 miles in total and after a good check on the old bike will have to confess Ive now put in just over a half a pint of Halfords finest to bring the oil level back to normal.
Chris, Tony and Steve were great company and I had a great time. I would like to thank Hanno, Jochen, Jorg, Suzanne and Highlander (whos image is still embossed on my rear mirrors laugh.gif ) for providing a superbly organised stay for us English. Also thanks to Guinness and Edith for putting us all up at short notice (special thanks to Whisky for my goodnight kiss wub.gif )
This was my first trip abroad on a motorcycle and I have started saving for next year already. I know most of you have done this sort of thing before but if you have not and are thinking about it then just book.
Right now all I have to do is lose the 8lbs ive put on in 5 days rotflmmfao.gif

#264 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:56 am

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Wed 28th May 2008, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right now all I have to do is lose the 8lbs ive put on in 5 days rotflmmfao.gif

me too dry.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#265 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:38 pm

I ain't going near the scales for a few days hidden.gif

Thanks for the picture Hanno, I seem to be hiding behind a BMW on the far right rolleyes.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#266 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:57 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Thu 29th May 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ain't going near the scales for a few days hidden.gif

Thanks for the picture Hanno, I seem to be hiding behind a BMW on the far right rolleyes.gif

Not a normal position for a TDM I must say dry.gif

#267 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:56 pm

Hi all, back from my extended German trip and, like Chris, Danny and Tony, would firstly like to add my thanks to all of the great guys and gals we met for making us feel very welcome indeed. Would also like to add special thanks to Hanno for letting me join his group for the journey south and to Karlo who very kindly let me stay at his that evening and who also guided me over the French boarder on yet more great roads the following day. Really top guys.

At this stage I was going to post some pics but got the internal Server Error message in the attachments bit? Will hopefully add them at a later stage.

Anyhow, continued journey south into Switzerland and, as you would expect, saw some stunning views and rode some great roads with lots of twisties and hairpins. And if there is such a place as biking heaven I'd settle for being sent there as its much more appealing than swanning about on a cloud playing a Harp!

After leaving the Alps the rest of the trip was a bit of an anticlimax and to be honest I was pleased to be heading home so just munched many miles on the major routes west.

The bike is now very dirty and needs some TLC including new tyres (the front was only just legal when I left and now parts of it haven't got any tread at all!). The valve clearance check also needs to be done and also the greasing of the swing arm so will give the old girl a rest until I get around to sorting these out. Whilst she is off the road I will take things more gently and ride the Silverwing I acquired before we left, and although it is totally different from riding a TDM, it is no slouch and very comfortable to ride (am I showing my age???)

That's all for now except also to say cheers to Chris, Danny and Tony for bring great company and putting-up with my snoring (well so they said, personally I didn't hear a thing!) drinks.gif

Edited by Saga Lout, 30 May 2008 - 04:06 pm.

Now on 9er number 2 .....

#268 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:15 pm

QUOTE(Saga Lout @ Fri 30th May 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and putting-up with my snoring

Noisy fecker! ranting.gif

We were wondering at one point if we could drag the entire bunk outside without waking you up rotflmmfao.gif

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#269 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:16 pm

glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and arrived back safe and sound good.gif
how was the fuel consumption?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#270 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:32 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 30th May 2008, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and arrived back safe and sound good.gif
how was the fuel consumption?

I gave up recording fuel consumption coz it would only depress me knowing that Danny's MK2 was getting at least 15 mpg more. So much for fuel injection to comply with euro 3 as carbs are obviously more efficient providing they are set-up correctly.

The other thing that is depressing is that petrol is just as expensive in Europe as in the UK, around €1.50/litre, although Switzerland was about €1.25/litre. It really makes touring expensive. ranting.gif

#271 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:50 pm

QUOTE(Saga Lout @ Fri 30th May 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So much for fuel injection to comply with euro 3 as carbs are obviously more efficient providing they are set-up correctly

???? - dunno why you did so poorly. I was always clocking 70+ mpg on M-ways.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#272 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:08 pm

To be fair I think the large panniers Steve was carrying had something to do with the fuel issue.

#273 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:02 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Fri 30th May 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
???? - dunno why you did so poorly. I was always clocking 70+ mpg on M-ways.

What sort of speed did you cruise at though Pict? We were doing about 90mph and Danny was getting 67mpg, I was getting 62, and I think Steve and Tony were getting mid 50's. As Danny says though Steve did have throwover panniers on which would give him a bit more drag, and I guess the power commander upps the fuel comsumption a bit too.

#274 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:15 pm

QUOTE(Saga Lout @ Fri 30th May 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all, back from my extended German trip and, like Chris, Danny and Tony, would firstly like to add my thanks to all of the great guys and gals we met for making us feel very welcome indeed. Would also like to add special thanks to Hanno for letting me join his group for the journey south and to Karlo who very kindly let me stay at his that evening and who also guided me over the French boarder on yet more great roads the following day. Really top guys.

At this stage I was going to post some pics but got the internal Server Error message in the attachments bit? Will hopefully add them at a later stage.

Anyhow, continued journey south into Switzerland and, as you would expect, saw some stunning views and rode some great roads with lots of twisties and hairpins. And if there is such a place as biking heaven I'd settle for being sent there as its much more appealing than swanning about on a cloud playing a Harp!

After leaving the Alps the rest of the trip was a bit of an anticlimax and to be honest I was pleased to be heading home so just munched many miles on the major routes west.

The bike is now very dirty and needs some TLC including new tyres (the front was only just legal when I left and now parts of it haven't got any tread at all!). The valve clearance check also needs to be done and also the greasing of the swing arm so will give the old girl a rest until I get around to sorting these out. Whilst she is off the road I will take things more gently and ride the Silverwing I acquired before we left, and although it is totally different from riding a TDM, it is no slouch and very comfortable to ride (am I showing my age???)

That's all for now except also to say cheers to Chris, Danny and Tony for bring great company and putting-up with my snoring (well so they said, personally I didn't hear a thing!) drinks.gif

Glad your safe Steve,

So then,,,, dry.gif Tell us about this new bike. As usual we demand pics!!! tongue.gif

cats

#275 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:17 pm

As Chris & Danny have said I was carrying quite a bit of extra width & weight and we weren't hanging around. However, I'm sure having a power commander doesn't help either as when I toured France and Spain last year with a similar load, before the PC3 was fitted, I was certainly getting mid to high 50's mpg. I guess I need to consider the trade-off as the engine is much smoother and more responsive with the pc fitted, which also made riding the roads in Germany etc. more enjoyable, especially when powering out of the corners. unsure.gif

#276 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:24 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Fri 30th May 2008, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad your safe Steve,

So then,,,, dry.gif Tell us about this new bike. As usual we demand pics!!! tongue.gif

cats

Good to hear from you CB, hope you are keeping well. No pics at present (will try to post over the weekend) but I may be able to make the Alton Station meet on wed and will ride it then as the 9er's front tyre would be a guaranteed 3 points if the boys in blue decided to pull me over. Hope you can make it too. good.gif

#277 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:56 pm

Looking good for Wed, although My Tenere has not come back from service. (look out for my topic on dealers/servicing)

(and while I'm in brackets, must go and get a TDM)

mellow.gif

#278 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:52 pm

Where's Saga? Not seen him for a while? Is he on his travels? dry.gif

#279 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:08 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Thu 5th Jun 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where's Saga? Not seen him for a while? Is he on his travels? dry.gif

Hi CB, yep I'm still around. Couldn't make Alton on Wed as I had to visit old relative in hospital and also had to go to Birmingham on thursday; life is very hectic at mo with not much time for R & R. Will hopefully catch up soon. mellow.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users