135 replies to this topic

#21 BigC

BigC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:47 pm

now down from £188.57 to £146.55 inc legal after A quote phoned me up to do a requote which came out at £205 ish said i had a better quote and after talking to his manager knocked it down to the £146

Carole Nash also phoned me back to offer a better quote than their online quote. Came out £200 ish the down to £171.22 after i told them my best price.
Might well take the Carole Nash quote for the UK and European breakdown (even though i have read the Carole Gnash thread)

Twin Carbon Can Co Exhausts, TomTom Rider, Scotoiler, Wingrack 2 with 2xGivi E360 panniers, Monokey Plate / Monolock Plate, E360 topbox / E450 topbox, Fenda Extenda, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Stainless Steel Rad Cover, Top Saddlery Tank Cover, Suzuki DL650 Handguards, Pressure Alert Valve caps

Unused - Blue Tall Screen
"Most of the gear, absolutely no idea!"

#22 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:37 am

QUOTE(BigC @ Tue 15th Jan 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now down from £188.57 to £146.55 inc legal after A quote phoned me up to do a requote which came out at £205 ish said i had a better quote and after talking to his manager knocked it down to the £146

Carole Nash also phoned me back to offer a better quote than their online quote. Came out £200 ish the down to £171.22 after i told them my best price.
Might well take the Carole Nash quote for the UK and European breakdown (even though i have read the Carole Gnash thread)

Glad you managed to get a realistic price. Surprised that Bennetts were so dear for you - they were cheapest for me (cheaper than your quote, although I'm TPFT) and I'm about as high risk as it gets! Reasons being: a) It's my first year as a rider b) My TDM is relatively valuable, being an 05 reg and c) It's kept outside. rolleyes.gif

Just goes to show that the cheapest for one individual isn't necessarily cheapest for another. A lot of people are praising eBike, but I found them to be quite expensive. Guess they just don't like noobs! laugh.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#23 BigC

BigC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:16 pm

all my quotes are for TPFT.
2 years experience, 2 yrs no claims, bike lives outside, on an 05 plate, Meta 357 TV 2 alarm / immobiliser

Bennets were good enough on the phone, explaned that the insurer i had my previously policy with now required TDM to be garaged hence quote from a different provider and price hike.

Best bet seem to be to get a mix of internet quotes first, hope they call you back chasing the business and then phone back the best priced insurers and get them to price match or beat your best quote as they do have leeway on the price they quote you. It all depends how keen they are for your business.

Twin Carbon Can Co Exhausts, TomTom Rider, Scotoiler, Wingrack 2 with 2xGivi E360 panniers, Monokey Plate / Monolock Plate, E360 topbox / E450 topbox, Fenda Extenda, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Stainless Steel Rad Cover, Top Saddlery Tank Cover, Suzuki DL650 Handguards, Pressure Alert Valve caps

#24 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:41 pm

my theory on insurance is that bike companies give better during the winter as there are less people looking for new policys, therefore for the sales people to keep their targets up they give better deals good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#25 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:41 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 16th Jan 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my theory on insurance is that bike companies give better during the winter as there are less people looking for new policys, therefore for the sales people to keep their targets up they give better deals good.gif

Mines due the start of next month so will see if you are right!! wink.gif

If they cant beat the current £120 will you pay the diffrence rolleyes.gif ???

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#26 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:48 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Wed 16th Jan 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mines due the start of next month so will see if you are right!! wink.gif

If they cant beat the current £120 will you pay the diffrence rolleyes.gif ???

rotflmmfao.gif
no!

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#27 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:52 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 16th Jan 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif
no!

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#28 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:00 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 16th Jan 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But unless you are insuring an additional bike you will be renewing, which means you always get quotes at this time of year so to the individual this would make no difference.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#29 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:12 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Wed 16th Jan 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But unless you are insuring an additional bike you will be renewing, which means you always get quotes at this time of year so to the individual this would make no difference.

3 bikes this year cost me less than 1 bike last year......

My TDM :

#30 Guest_blarsen_*

Guest_blarsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:52 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 16th Jan 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 bikes this year cost me less than 1 bike last year......

Aw.

At the moment I'm paying more for my CBF1000 than for my TDM850, BMW650GS, VT750C2 and VW Passat combined. Guess I'll have to make a few phone calls.

#31 ajfergie

ajfergie

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:46 pm

Hi lads, now my insurance is due on 05/02/2008 just had my renewal from bennets 1 years no claims disc because i had not had i bike for 4 years and lost my full no claims, anyway they want £197.05 for renewal
fully comp, cant ride any other bike and carries £500 xs includes legal expence cover.

Went online carole nash £228.59, inc legal cover £150 xs and covered t/party for other bikes

Devitt £227.12 inc legal cover£500 xs and covered t/party for other bikes

Got two phone calls at work today from them touting for business

Devitt now offering fully comp, inc legal cover £170.08 125.00 xs and covered t/party other bikes

Carole nash now £171.81 fully comp, inc legal cover £100.00 xs and covered t/party other bikes

Whats your thoughts on any of these companys and their quotes.... sad.gif blink.gif

cheers ajfergie..........

#32 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:36 am

carol nash seem ok, no experience of devitt yet
i'm with bennetts and they pretty much matched the best quote i found elsewhere
so if you are happy with them give em a call and point out the price wink.gif

My TDM :

#33 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:01 am

QUOTE(ajfergie @ Fri 1st Feb 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Devitt now offering fully comp, inc legal cover £170.08 125.00 xs and covered t/party other bikes

I was with Devitt last yr Tdm 850 1992 and GSXR 750 1990 fully comp with 4 yrs NCD for a 37 yrold was £120.....

Due to be renewed on the 19 of this month and it's still £120!! But get this they want £9 RENEWAL FEE ranting.gif

Havent rang them yet to find out why???? Cos I did'nt pay a £9 fee for them to insure me in the 1st place....... huh.gif

Will post news when I have it.

Hopefully it will be good.gif yahoo.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#34 Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:16 am

5 weeks ago I paid £52 TPFT for my 1993 XT600 (now stolen).. I did it on line and declared 5 years NCB which I have on my ZRX1200. They wrote and asked for the NCB proof. I couldn't send it on because its still active. They replied I must pay an extra £130 as I 'really' only have 0 years NCB as you cant have No Claims shared on 2 policies. Bugger!!!

So I phoned them and re-applied on line whilst still on the phone. Here's the conversation

"AT NO POINT DOES THE INTERNET SCREEN STATE I CAN'T SHARE 2 N.C.B.'S!!"

"WELL YOU CAN'T, AND YOU OWE US ANOTHER £130 MAKING A TOTAL OF £182 FOR THE YEAR"

"I'M ON THE NET NOW, AS WE SPEAK, AND I HAVE JUST RE-APPLIED, WITH YOURSELVES, FOR THE EXACT SAME BIKE DECLARING ZERO YEARS N.C.B. AND IT'S COME TO £59 - AN INCREASE OF £7. HOW COME YOU WANT ANOTHER £130?"

"WELL ERRRRRRRRRRR.........!!!"

So it was cheaper to cancel the 1st policy and start again...Oh and 9 days into the policy, the XT got stolen !!!!..

ALSO GUYS PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS !!!!!!

Mrs M.Monkey applied for cover 'on line' at Bennetts and when it came to the excess bit, she chose £300 (out of £0- £700) to try and bring her premium down a bit, which it did......Her TDM gets stolen. The actual excess is £800 as there was a mandatory £500 excess and what she was actually doing was adding a voluntary excess of 300. The £500 one, was stealthily hidden at the time of applying....Thankfully we have the TDM back and thanks to you guys it's on it's way to much shinyness

Sorry to waffle on and thanks

cheers

M.M.

Edited by Matrix Monkey, 02 February 2008 - 10:53 am.

#35 David H

David H

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:43 am

Just got my ebike renewal notice. It's a pound more than last year. huh.gif
No renewal few. tongue.gif
Your new premium is inclusive of a 5% discount which we only offer our renewal customers.

#36 ajfergie

ajfergie

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:27 pm

Well lads, got my insurance sorted tonight, went with Carole Nash, fully comp, legal protection cover,
breakdown assist inc home start, 90 day european cover, unlmited mileage, £100 xs,
can ride another bike not owned by me on third party cover, £171.81
thats with one years no claims disc
rolleyes.gif

#37 BigC

BigC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:05 am

Picked this up at the London Bike Show.

£10 discount on every Carole Nash bike quote.
Code: LON310108SG

Got my existing CN quote (which was apparently the best they could do and was already subject to discounts) down to £161.22 TPFT 2 yrs No claims. Didnt even have to mention the code just said i'd got a discount voucher from the bike show.

So now with Carole Gnash - lets just hope their European Breakdown (which hopefully i wont need to use) is ok after the stories i've heard.

#38 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:25 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Sat 2nd Feb 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was with Devitt last yr Tdm 850 1992 and GSXR 750 1990 fully comp with 4 yrs NCD for a 37 yrold was £120.....
Due to be renewed on the 19 of this month and it's still £120!! But get this they want £9 RENEWAL FEE
Havent rang them yet to find out why???? Cos I did'nt pay a £9 fee for them to insure me in the 1st place.......
Will post news when I have it.
Hopefully it will be good.gif

Well rang them today and after some arguing they aint gona want the £9 yahoo.gif They said because they are brokers and the insurance company dont give them any commision dry.gif the money was their fee! So I just mentioned that I pay them £120 to insure my bikes with their insurance co and then I have to pay them another £9 to let them do it huh.gif ...

Then said that if I cancel my policy then ring up for a new 1 I wouldnt have to pay the £9 renewal fee? blink.gif

The highly trained telephonist was confused and had to ask her "Line Manager" came back and said I don't have to pay the £9 rotflmmfao.gif banana.gif

Shame the policy price didn't drop but hey ho £120 for 2 bikes fully comp is ok in my book good.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#39 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:47 pm

Renewal notice just came through from Swinton. £78 TPFT + £25 legal protection. Can't remember if I told them about getting some points last year though unsure.gif Just filled in my details on "the bike insurer" for the link in the first post and they say they can't do me an online quote but will contact me.

Edited by ChrisG, 06 February 2008 - 06:04 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#40 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:12 pm

QUOTE(Matrix Monkey @ Sat 2nd Feb 2008, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5 weeks ago I paid £52 TPFT for my 1993 XT600 (now stolen).. I did it on line and declared 5 years NCB which I have on my ZRX1200. They wrote and asked for the NCB proof. I couldn't send it on because its still active. They replied I must pay an extra £130 as I 'really' only have 0 years NCB as you cant have No Claims shared on 2 policies. Bugger!!!

So I phoned them and re-applied on line whilst still on the phone. Here's the conversation

"AT NO POINT DOES THE INTERNET SCREEN STATE I CAN'T SHARE 2 N.C.B.'S!!"

"WELL YOU CAN'T, AND YOU OWE US ANOTHER £130 MAKING A TOTAL OF £182 FOR THE YEAR"

"I'M ON THE NET NOW, AS WE SPEAK, AND I HAVE JUST RE-APPLIED, WITH YOURSELVES, FOR THE EXACT SAME BIKE DECLARING ZERO YEARS N.C.B. AND IT'S COME TO £59 - AN INCREASE OF £7. HOW COME YOU WANT ANOTHER £130?"

"WELL ERRRRRRRRRRR.........!!!"

So it was cheaper to cancel the 1st policy and start again...Oh and 9 days into the policy, the XT got stolen !!!!..

ALSO GUYS PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS !!!!!!

Mrs M.Monkey applied for cover 'on line' at Bennetts and when it came to the excess bit, she chose £300 (out of £0- £700) to try and bring her premium down a bit, which it did......Her TDM gets stolen. The actual excess is £800 as there was a mandatory £500 excess and what she was actually doing was adding a voluntary excess of 300. The £500 one, was stealthily hidden at the time of applying....Thankfully we have the TDM back and thanks to you guys it's on it's way to much shinyness

Sorry to waffle on and thanks

cheers

M.M.

Emmett - you reading this, ref http://www.carpe-tdm...?showtopic=6560

I knew I wasn't dreaming when I said I'd been told you can't use your NCB on more than one policy, and that you have to start a second one with zero NCB if you want two policies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users