Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:11 pm

I presume this will apply to all road vehicles.

http://www.motoring....er&src=motoring

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:39 pm

More cost to us to fill the coffers at the DVLA. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:56 pm

It does provide a means of ensuring vehicles are insured by the new owner shortly after the point of sale. May turn out to be a good thing?

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#4 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:02 pm

This is going to be a nightmare buying privately.

Trying to coordinate taxing and insuring the vehicle from a certain time

As well as the owner cancelling the tax at the same moment

And what if you are doing the deal say at 8pm on a Sunday

Will the tax go through, will the insurer be open for business

And of course money won't change hands until the change of ownership is assured.

Thank goodness the MOT will be transferable???

And what if the deal falls through what costs will be incurred, like insurance cover cancellation etc.

Am I seeing too many problems here?

1953 BSA Bantam, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1948 Vincent Rapide, 1959 Matchless G11, AJS 250CSR, 1986 BMW K75s, Suzuki 1999 GS500E, 2002 Suzuki SV650, 1991 VFR750 FL, 2007 TDM900

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:03 am

There are already loads of vehicles sold without road tax and it doesn't seem to prevent the owners selling them. :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:15 pm

Have a look on ere http://www.gov.uk/go...icensing-agency

#7 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:27 pm

Crikey! That's not good.

Many people here not grasping the point. Never mind the uncertainty, profiteering by the govt, legalities or near 100% surveillance required.

It's the same reason why we can't see the benefits queues, meth heads are able to get on by and the ugly side of society has rolled over belly-up so long as the cash arrives at the ATM on the expected date.

"What's the problem? I'm straight up and above board. Of course you/we are!"

Don't think of these developments as adoption of technology and associated savings through efficiency. Regard this and similar changes as control. Then recognise that this level of control can't be undone unless the system collapses.

Any qualms you may have regarding this development can be summed up in two words.

Slavery sheeple!

The vehicle licence disc is a widely accepted and highly regarded means by which motorists can easily determine the "status" of a vehicle or advertise their "status" to other road users. Granted, it's just a piece of paper, but, doing without it makes no sense whatsoever. Unless of course by eliminating it the motorist is kept in the dark and that was the intention throughout.

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 16 January 2014 - 05:46 pm.

#8 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:03 pm

Don't see how this will work.

When you insure a vehicle it can take up to 7 days to appear on the DVLA database, according to the guy I spoke to a couple of weeks ago when insuring the bike.

So you, at present cannot tax online, until the system recognises that an MOT & insurance is valid for the vehicle in question.

So if you buy go look at a vehicle being sold privately & decide you want it. How can you tax it to get it home.

As for ensuring there is valid insurance, I think that's a crock.

There is absolutely nothing to stop someone taking out insurance & paying monthly, taxing the vehicle, & then cancelling the insurance within the 14 day cooling off period or defaulting on payments.

I assume the system would then flag this up & the tax would be cancelled :dunno: .

Edited by RolfieB, 16 January 2014 - 09:05 pm.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#9 Johnlaas

Johnlaas

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 113 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:21 pm

Don't see how this will work.

When you insure a vehicle it can take up to 7 days to appear on the DVLA database, according to the guy I spoke to a couple of weeks ago when insuring the bike.

So you, at present cannot tax online, until the system recognises that an MOT & insurance is valid for the vehicle in question.

So if you buy go look at a vehicle being sold privately & decide you want it. How can you tax it to get it home.

As for ensuring there is valid insurance, I think that's a crock.

There is absolutely nothing to stop someone taking out insurance & paying monthly, taxing the vehicle, & then cancelling the insurance within the 14 day cooling off period or defaulting on payments.

I assume the system would then flag this up & the tax would be cancelled :dunno: .

Yes there is nothing to stop someone cancelling their insurance as you suggest, and believe me it happens. However, the insurer concerned will update the MID (Motor Insurance Database) so the vehicle in questions shows as uninsured. Therefore, I see no reason why the owner should not get done for being uninsured especially if said vehicle has not been declared off road.

John

2012 plated model, Black - with black seat
Mods - Yamaha High Screen, Scott Oiler, Fenda Extender, Givi Top box and panniers, Yamaha Heated Grips, Barkbuster Hand Guards
The Wish List - a decent horn, crash bungs 

06 Model in Blue with Silver trim [GONE - But not forgotten
Mods - Yamaha High Screen, Scott Oiler, Fenda Extender, Givi Top Box and Panniers, LED running light. Acerbis Dual Road Hand Guards, HID, Yamaha heated grips
Wish List - Crash Bungs,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users