17 replies to this topic

#1 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:35 am

Well, like a bad penny I'm back with another problem......

So, yesterday I ran the bike all morning with no issues then came to start her and no joy. Now, the battery's on its last legs an' I've had it on trickle charge every night for the last six months so after cranking it over for a minute or so it sounded goosed.

Luckily for me I'd stopped at the top of a big, steep hill so I jumped on thinking to myself "this should do the trick....I'll get her home, order a new battery and the job's a good 'un", and set off tryin' to bump her into life.... 

A mile later I'm at the bottom with the seat off checking the fuses in the hail, thunder an' lightening scratching my head.

Prior to this I'd just bin an' filled her up with Shell V Power (about 17 quids worth) an' a couple of other short journeys of about ten miles in total. 

I got a lift home with her late on last night, put her on charge an' got up bright an' breezy this morning to make a start. She wouldn't go although the battery had taken a decent amount of charge. I noticed the yellow engine light started to flash while turning her over. There were no error codes showing so I decided to check through the diag codes.

When I got to the voltage check D09, I flicked the engine run switch an' got a reading of zero volts?, an' this is where I'm at now......question is have I made any school boy errors as far as checking the diag reading or anything else for that matter ?, an' if not has anyone got any suggestions as to what the problem might be before I start pulling her to pieces.....

P.S. sun's just come out here an' I'm getting desperate! :(

I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boy!

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:00 pm

Standard procedure seems to be to check all the connectors under the tank, and the wires going into the back of those connectors in case one's snapped or corroded, but it's one of those annoying intermittent problems that's hard to find. Good luck!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:45 pm

Quick question....just checked the fuel pump was working, which it was, but when I put the meter on the plug terminals that connect the loom and the fuel pump and turned on the ignition and then the run switch I didn't get a voltage.....question is should I?

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:47 pm

Yes I think you should. I had the same problem with my 900 which had been stood for a few months. When I turned the ignition on the pump didn't run (it should run for at least a second to get the fuel pressure up). The problem was a faulty wire at the multifunction relay under the tank.....are you sure the fuel pump fires up when you turn the ignition on ? If not you could have the same problem

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:33 pm

Cheers Stan, no, there's deffo no pump sound so I'll check that

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:40 pm

OK, so it's underneath the tank, the rear of the tank where it's hinged. There is a crossmember with three or four relays on it (just in front of the battery). The M/F relay is on the left of the crossmember, easy to locate because it has the most wires going into it. The red wire at one end of the row of contacts had corroded off it's contact.....never seen anything like it before, normally a few wires would be corroded, but this is a single wire. I'm sure I've seen other people one here have a similar problem

I had another similar symptom as you have , the engine warning light flashed on and off as the engine was cranking over

Edited by fixitsan, 26 April 2017 - 06:43 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:03 pm

Here's my saga of the same problem Mr fixitsan had.
http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#8 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:10 pm

Sounds exactly like the problem I had last year...the same wire on the same connector block. The female half of the connector had disintegrated. I couldn't get hold of a replacement so I ended up pushing the red wire straight through the connector and soldering it directly to the pin on the relay (bitch of a job).

So I've just checked all that an' it still seems in tact. I took the tank off and wired a 12v feed direct to the fuel pump and the fuel squirted out so no issues there. So the fault appears to be that the pump isn't getting a power feed when the ignition is made live. 

Does anyone know what route the power to the fuel pump takes ?

#9 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:33 am

Does anyone know what route the power to the fuel pump takes ?

A wiring diagram on Dropbox for you to download.

https://www.dropbox....wiring.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Hombre, 27 April 2017 - 07:34 am.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#10 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:37 pm

She's ALIVE !!.....OK, so I cleaned all connections to the main relay carefully but this didn't seem to help so I replaced all the dodgy looking earth connections I could see along with any other iffy looking wiring but still no joy :dunno: ...

After reading through Celticbiker's saga and seeing the bit about the tilt switch I got to thinking....At the mo' I'm living in a hotel after my next door neighbour decided to burn his side of our semi down :hide: . The said hotel is on a steep hill an' the car park is sideways on to the hill so when I'd parked the bike on the side stand it was on a considerable angle, so much so that when I got off I gave it a wiggle an' it was non too stable.

Now, last time I fired her up I did so without getting on so she was still well over, whereas every other time I've got on before starting her up. An' she had ran for around 5 seconds before cutting out....question is, would I need to have reset the fault codes in order for her to have run again?, 'cos as soon as I cleared the fault codes an' checked diag 50 I heard the fuel pump spring to life!....I put her back together and hey presto ! :yeahbaby:

I feel as though I'm clutching at straws a bit but can't think what else it might have been......anyone any thoughts?  :um:

Edited by wigwamclan, 27 April 2017 - 02:41 pm.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:06 pm

Sounds about right matey. :)  I've lived in Bolton so know what it can be like.   you could try repeating the parking on the steep bit and see if it does it again, to be sure ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:11 pm

Sounds about right matey. :)  I've lived in Bolton so know what it can be like.   you could try repeating the parking on the steep bit and see if it does it again, to be sure ?

Lol, I could do but I've come over all ginger..... Must be the prospect of her not firing up again an' me missing out on the one day of summer we get in Bolton :/

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:56 pm

C'mon wiggers, i dare you matey, glad you got it sorted  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:54 pm

Lol, I could do but I've come over all ginger..... Must be the prospect of her not firing up again an' me missing out on the one day of summer we get in Bolton :/

:lol:  aint that the truth.  

Me bro lives in Wigan, well Hindley Green actually.  I used to live in Bolton, up St Helens Road area, many years ago now.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 wigwamclan

wigwamclan

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:03 am

C'mon wiggers, i dare you matey, glad you got it sorted  :good:

OK, I'll take a hit for the boys, but only after I've bin out for a decent spin tomorrow, providing it's not snowing again

:lol:  aint that the truth.  

Me bro lives in Wigan, well Hindley Green actually.  I used to live in Bolton, up St Helens Road area, many years ago now.

I'm over in Bromley Cross at the Last Drop Hotel at the mo' but live in Eagle Bank when my house don't smell like a vaporised settee .....I know Hindley Green and St Helens Road well tho'.....you'll know exactly what I mean when I say Bolton summers are precious commodity then pal⛈

Edited by wigwamclan, 29 April 2017 - 07:47 pm.

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:52 am

My overriding memory of Bolton is one of dampness, gets in yer bones.  Some stunning countryside on the doorstep though. :)

#17 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:34 pm

My overriding memory of Bolton is one of dampness, gets in yer bones.  Some stunning countryside on the doorstep though. :)

I'd say that about Oldham

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#18 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:17 pm

aye, you can't beat Rivvington Barn on a Sunday afternoon and its the gateway to Skipton/Hawes and devils bridge @ Kirkby lonsdale.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users