#1 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:53 pm

DAY ONE

Ramo and I completed this run last week (Took me this long to recover enough to do a write up)

Departed my place on Sunday 10.30am and it was hot "Phew" Remember Ramo/Steve had just come up from Notts to mine (4 miles over the Scottish border, Nr Gretna Green), in one hit, apart from a fuel stop :badgerrock:

Attached File  IMG_1585.JPG   172.58KB   51 downloads

The objective was to get as far West and North as we could first day, but stop and take a little bit of scenery in as well :good: our fiirst stop for piccies was at Loch Lomond,

Attached File  IMG_1587.JPG   121.85KB   67 downloads

Then on to Tyndrum for lunch, A nice big Yorkshire pud filled with roast beef :yeyeye:

Attached File  IMG_1590.JPG   215.82KB   59 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1591.JPG   166.35KB   58 downloads

Heading north we soon come across our first proper Highland view with proper hills!

Attached File  IMG_1600.JPG   165.45KB   15 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1600.JPG   165.45KB   15 downloads

then onto Glen Coe and boy was it warm there, a couple of pics and we were off again,

Attached File  IMG_1603.JPG   144.69KB   55 downloads

Our next stop was Fort William to stretch the legs and skim some stones "as you do"

Attached File  IMG_1607.JPG   163.75KB   54 downloads

And I caught "Crabs" :huh:

Attached File  IMG_1605.JPG   92.76KB   46 downloads

"See" Told you so! :P

Next stop Shiel Bridge for an Ice lolly "As you do"

Attached File  IMG_1611.JPG   141.8KB   54 downloads

It was then I phoned a mate of mine "Hammy" who said we were close to "Eilian donan castle" which featured in the film "Highlander"

and must get some pics of that.........

Attached File  IMG_1613.JPG   131.46KB   68 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1618.JPG   112.51KB   75 downloads

getting on in the day now we thought get over to Skye and try and find some digs...( Yes we were "Winging it") over the Skye Bridge to Broadford and :tdown:  no chance all full, and we didn't speak with a German accent and ride a "Panzer".....so it wasn't going to happen!

back over the bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh, we eventually found a nice little B&B for £30 a night (Twin Room) :yahoo:

There endeth day one.....to be cont...zzzzzzzzzzzz

Right day 2.....08.30 breakfast and no rush to get going (Rem ember it's a holiday!)...So we loaded up and away by 09.30

Attached File  IMG_1627.JPG   230.34KB   69 downloads

After fueling at Kyle we headed North and after a while we run beside Loch Carron to it's end where we turned left at "Strathcarron"

and the start of the "Applecross Peninsula" (Doesn't it sound grand) time for a pic.

Attached File  IMG_1635.JPG   133.4KB   81 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1632.JPG   109KB   77 downloads

Next stop after the twisty bit was the viewing lay-by

Which had a view directly onto the isle of Raasay and the Isle of Skye,

Attached File  IMG_1641.JPG   121.75KB   56 downloads

Next we had lunch at Applecross pub, and what a place for a midday stop! and the weather was Beautiful again :good:  :badgerrock:

Attached File  IMG_1650.JPG   155.9KB   48 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1651.JPG   91.8KB   47 downloads

Then onwards round the peninsula (Love it) and the scenery just gets better and better....golden sands, sea, hills. "Picture postcard"

Attached File  IMG_1652.JPG   142.35KB   52 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1654.JPG   146.36KB   60 downloads

And how's this for a "Moody" TDM shot.....

Attached File  IMG_1658.JPG   153.84KB   64 downloads

And another..

Attached File  IMG_1664.JPG   155.7KB   64 downloads

That last pic is at Loch Torridon where we seen our one and only "Golden Eagle"....don't strain your eyes?

Attached File  IMG_1666.JPG   39.27KB   58 downloads

Thirsty work this touring lark, so a nice drink at Kinlochewe, at the......

Attached File  IMG_1667.JPG   172.51KB   52 downloads

From here on the roads got faster and faster and it got a bit "Ride it like you stole it.com" :badgerrock: and before we knew it, we were in "Ullapool" and we finished a bit earlier than yesterday..but it had been a high concentration day! (These corners don't take prisoners)

only 163 mile today but it felt like enough!

found another cracking B&B £27.50 :badgerrock: and single rooms!

So after the three "S's" we hit the town with our newly aquired "Midgy Repellant" on...it worked!

Dining was al-fresco at the local chippy, and boy was it enough....

Attached File  IMG_1678.JPG   105.86KB   43 downloads

But this dining alfresco lark was not without it's hazards!!!!......there were "Bandits"...No not the Suzuki type, but big Fookers with wings!!!!!

Attached File  IMG_1679.JPG   98.12KB   40 downloads

But using skills I Acquired 30 years ago, protecting the chips on my plate during school dinners, I managed to foil the big rat with wings plan :yeahbaby:

after a tour of the harbour and meeting the resident seal we toddled of to bed...

Attached File  IMG_1684.JPG   100.99KB   42 downloads

And here endeth Day 2

Day 3 ULLAPOOL TO FORT AUGUSTUS!

Well you dont travel very far up here, before the next bit of "Wow factor" appears round the next bend!

Attached File  IMG_1686.JPG   104.48KB   46 downloads

Onwards and upwards we soon come across a bridge ( at Loch Dubhaird Mor ) we thought would be worth a photoshoot all of it's own :cool: so we done a couple of passes and took pics on each others camera!

Attached File  IMG_1701.JPG   85.71KB   48 downloads :blink:

So for the next run i said to "david Bailey" when I come into the lay-by I'll be using my "Cal Crutchlow" leg dragging technique ( yeah I know he nicked it from Rossi) to slow me down?.....So he cut me fookin foot off :rotflmmfao:

Attached File  IMG_1703.JPG   106.65KB   47 downloads

Next stop Durness for lunch, and funny we didn't take any piccies here....as there wasn't much here really!........but soon as we left and headed for Tongue things got even better, and I couldn't get stopped quick enough to get the pics...WOW

Attached File  IMG_1707.JPG   97.57KB   47 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1708.JPG   70.86KB   46 downloads

This left a smile on our faces for a few miles, It just get's better round every corner! :badgerrock:

Next stop was Tongue and a top up of fuel, £1.55 a litre :blink: one pump and two nozzles Petrol/diesel and be aware they have been known to run out of one or the other......as two of our friends on Blackbirds found out!!!!!

Attached File  IMG_1709.JPG   122.98KB   50 downloads

Heading south now the hills began to dissappear and the countryside got a bit featureless now, compared with what we've witnessed until this point, It's still lovely, but we have been spoiled by this point!

we did see an unusual hut, with a roof that blended in with it's surroundings! (possibly a shooters hut)

Attached File  IMG_1711.JPG   132.1KB   48 downloads

We soon dispatched Inverness and got on the A82  and wow what a road :badgerrock: as fast as you dare, and the corners are sublime, in fact we got so into this road and got into a rythm, we almost forgot to stop and take a pic! And NO "Nessie" didn't oblige!

Attached File  IMG_1718.JPG   110.43KB   42 downloads

So we  rolled into "Fort Augustus" and the hunt for digs started again......and Ramo/Steve come up trumps again, a twin room £25.00 a night B&B :yeahbaby:

Here endeth day 3........Zzzzzzzzzz

DAY 4

Homeward bound, and a tinge of sadness, having to leave this picture postcard scenery, and the thought of all the responsibilities I left behind to go on this "Jolly"  and even worse!.....going back to Work!!!!  :angry:

Attached File  IMG_1720.JPG   129.74KB   38 downloads

Staying at our B&B also was a German couple (We refrained from doing the "Basil Faulty" routine :lol: ) and very pleasant they were too, He owned an FJ1200, 22 years old and owned it from new! :good: nice to hear it start cold on the choke, "Sweet as a nut" :badgerrock:

Attached File  IMG_1719.JPG   172.32KB   38 downloads

We bade them fairwell, and a safe journey, and shortly followed on behind them, and true to form we soon had to stop for a piccie....again!

Attached File  IMG_1724.JPG   115.76KB   36 downloads

This time at Loch Oich, (Who you calling an Oich) It had been raining through the night but the weather was lovely now, and the roads were drying nicely, our next photoshoot was at the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge! ( Bit pissed off "Arnie" wasn't there? ) 

Attached File  IMG_1725.JPG   111.06KB   31 downloads

And lovely views of "Ben Nevis" and "Aonach Mor"!!!!!

Attached File  IMG_1730.JPG   122.3KB   29 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1731.JPG   70.25KB   27 downloads

Steve had already decided that morning, that he was going home in one hit :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: "Old Iron Butt" so we pushed on now and Fort William was dispatched fairly quickly, and headed for Oban, as the theme was the "West" coast,

Attached File  IMG_1733.JPG   128.21KB   26 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1735.JPG   135.02KB   27 downloads

We had lunch at Oban, and a quick walk round the main street and the Docks area, then made "Progress" south on the A816 and what a road, :badgerrock: :badgerrock: :badgerrock: there was a section on here half way between Oban and Lochgilphead, that reminded me of "Hartside" brought the "Horns" out it did!!!!

Wanting to push on! our next stop was Inverary, for an ice cream (as you do) and Lo and behold what's in the Harbour?

"The Vital Spark" the famouis old Clyde puffer, from the BBC Scotland comedy "Para Handy"

Attached File  IMG_1741.JPG   149.9KB   28 downloads

I got a bad touch of melancholy on seeing this!......It's criminal that some Feckin eejit erased 27 episodes of the original Black and white series from the 60's :rant: when they altered the archive library to digital.....there isn't a strong enough punishment for such incompetence :punishment: If you havent seen it....heres one of the survivors

Attached File  IMG_1743.JPG   220.57KB   24 downloads

We also bumped into a father and son here from Germany, and the son obviously hadn't got the big bike licence and was touring on a CBR 125 Honda.....Good on him :badgerrock: He said he wasn't looking forward to joining motorway's again!...I bet he wasn't!!!!

Anyroad on we go....were on the A83 now the roads still a cracker and the scenery was still there, as we got nearer Arrochar, i made the decision to try the A814 down to Helensburgh :blush2: ......Bad decision!!! compared with the A82...there's NO comparison (Give this a Miss) lesson learned for the future on this one!!!

We soon dispatched Glasgow at "Rush hour" with some nifty filtering (Mostly Illegal...As you do) a fuel up and a coffee at Bothwell services, then a quick blat down the Motorway, and home!

Great 4 day's, Great weather, great company :good: (Cheers Steve) and I still have a few private moments now, and have a big smile on me ugly mug at the memories!....and it's all stored in the memory banks for when the Winter Blues set in!!!!

Edited by jono49, 05 August 2013 - 11:07 pm.

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#2 middlewich

middlewich

seems to like Carpe

• 79 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:37 am

Nice write up and piccies - sooo envious - the roads and scenery up there are spectacular!

#3 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:43 am

Great pictures and write up. 

Touring around Scotland is on my List of things to do..

Looking forward to the next installment. :good:

2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:31 am

Hmm would like to try and get up in September, looking good chaps, nice piccies.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:39 am

Nice, in the act of planning my annual sabbatical around Scotland this September starting at New Lanark around the Galloway coast over to Arran down the Mull of Kintyre back up to Mull across to Ardnurmurchan then Skye, around the highlands to Tongue back down the east side across the middle ending at Crianlarich total mileage around 2200 just hoping the weather has improved up there by then.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:13 pm

Good stuff :good:

#7 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:52 pm

pleased you all like it......Don't you all think your going to get that type of weather on every trip to Scotland....we've got a reputation to live up too.....it alway's rains in Scotland! :rotflmmfao:

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:33 pm

Stunning scenery when the sun comes out though eh ! :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:30 am

Looks like you could be RTT manager if you can provide that weather!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#10 RSRocket

RSRocket

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 991 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:58 pm

Nowhere better when the sungod smiles on you.
24 Hours in a Day, 24 beers in a tray !

"I think the firing orders wrong! : ) "
"I do it with Twins"

Lone Wolf Rider

#11 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:21 pm

Stunning scenery when the sun comes out though eh ! :good:

To be honest, It was a couple of day's after we got home, that I had time to reflect, It was only then I appreciated how lucky we were with the weather!

Edited by jono49, 03 August 2013 - 10:35 pm.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:41 am

Fantastic ride report Jono :badgerrock:

Thanks for taking the time & effort to post it up, muchly appreciated ! :clapping:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:34 pm

Thank you Studley :good: I forgot to mention, another thing I had time to think about? Was the TDM :badgerrock: :badgerrock: :badgerrock: I'm usually a weekend warrior, due to work restrictions etc, so 4 day's living with my Niner gave me time to reflect, on it's performance, and suitability for this touring lark!...........And on reflection, I cant think of anything negative to say about it at all, it done everything I asked of it and more! I love the old girl and she's a keeper :badgerrock:

#14 tr7dan

tr7dan

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:12 pm

Great ride report Jono and great pics.

We have a ride arranged, setting off on Friday Sept 6th from Merseyside with the first guest house booked in Fort William for the Friday night and the second on the Isle of Skye for Saturday night. Sunday we have left open and we need to be back by Monday evening at the latest.

Three of us going, two Niners and a rich git with a GS1200 Triple Black - our trip being inspired by the many outings and ride reports of Mr Frogwell  

I've been told that the road from Fort William to Mallaig is a must-do and also the Applecross Pass - any other recommendations?  Bearing in mind we have about 125 miles to go just to get to your starting point.

Cheers

Dan

PS. What was your midge repellant ? - I've bought some Avon Skin So Soft which I've read works a treat.

More amazing Frogwell

#15 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:37 pm

Hi Dan, I think the  trip to Malaig is a must do, we missed that, and hopefully we'll crack that one next year! "Applecross"  We left kyle of Lochalsh at 10.00am and got parked up at Ullapool early evening (7.00pm'ish) 163 miles only, but a high concentration day, (These corners with shear drops don't take prisoners!!!)  with longish stops, when we did stop, but we were ready to park up that night.

On our first day we made the Isle of Skye (Broadford) by 7.00pm and we didn't leave mine till 10.30am.......We were skimming stones at Fort William at 3.00pm! we had a few longish stops, but we didn't hang about! you might want to re-schedule your first day and make the most of things?

Midges........Avon skin so soft is the Biz......Thats what was in our Tourist information bought formula!!!

Edited by jono49, 25 August 2013 - 07:37 pm.

#16 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:39 pm

midges?

I heard of a few swimming with monster in a Loch,

another myth? ;)

by the way Dan I left Nottingham, to meet up with Jono(200 miles), 

did a longer run back in one hit, Fort Augustus, Fort William, Oban, Inveraray on the nice roads,

then  down towards Glasgow motorways etc

enjoy yersen :badgerrock:

#17 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:33 pm

Enjoyed that Jono, thanks.

For me, the A87 (off the A82) to Kyle of Lochalsh has to be one of my favourites - fast, flowing, grippy and fun! Better than the Mallaig road IMO

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#18 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:15 pm

:good: Cant beat local knowledge! :badgerrock:

#19 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:59 am

Enjoyed that Jono, thanks.

For me, the A87 (off the A82) to Kyle of Lochalsh has to be one of my favourites - fast, flowing, grippy and fun! Better than the Mallaig road IMO

Yes the road through Glen Shiel is very satisfying only one or two corners needing care due to ogling tourists, I also love the A890 through Glen Carron onto the A832 to Ullapool, further north the A835 out of Ullapool heading north the roads around the Moidart are challenging and I will be enjoying them at start of September.

Wherever you go you will enjoy the roads but they can bite due to the views on offer to the cage muppets.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#20 charlietbird

charlietbird

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:43 pm

I'm just back from a wee tour of Wester Ross and Skye. Depending on what time you have, I would, if you are coming up via Glasgow, is to avoid the A 82 between just north of Balloch to Tarbert, (south Loch Lomond) as it is dull and full of tourists and police. Far better to take the turn for Garelochead along the Glen Fruin military road and follow the A814 along Loch Long. Tight, twisty and interesting. At Arrochar, the choice is, head back on to the A 82 at Tarbert, and up the northern part of Loch Lomond to Chrianlarich, Tyndrum, and though Glencoe to Ballachulish,or to turn the other way to Inverary,Lochgilphead, Oban,, Benderloch, and then to Ballachulish. this is a deal longer and a deal twistier, and may be an idea to go up one road and down the other, as both these roads are fun! If Skye is the destination, dont use the bridge at Kyle. Much better to use the wee turntable ferry from Glenelg to Kyleakin. £7 for a bike and rider, and a load of singletrack to get there, and a bit more singletrack on the other side to Broadford.

Applecross has been mentioned, and, while you are in the area, it would be against the law not to do the Bealach na Ba. From Loch Carron, follow the signs for Applecross, and enjoy the, nearest we have to an Alpine pass. Stunning views if you can lift your eyes from the road! It would also be against the law if you didn't stop at the Applecross Inn for seafood, as it is absolutely superb!

a few ideas.

Charlie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users