13 replies to this topic

#1 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:22 pm

Personally I like Top Gear. I like the lack of PC, I like the presenters and sometimes I like the format. It's like going to the pub with your mates, banter happens, its not meant seriously and no one is usually offended. It pivots around Clarkson playing the mindless moron, although I suspect that he is a shrewd and intelligent bloke. The point I want to make is that if the BBC pander to the ultra-sensitive, we are going to have programme makers only producing that which is "safe" and that means bland. More cake baking reality shows and dancing extravaganzas to name but two.

No one should go around thinking they are so untouchable that they can punch someone just because the catering arrangements are not up to scratch, but the Beeb have, in my opinion, totally over-reacted again.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:23 pm

The BBC are the arch purveyors of cringeworthy, PC TV and Clarkson would've been gone long ago if he wasn't so popular. He's been given a long leash for that reason, but I think all that fame has probably made a diva of him. Top Gear isn't my cup of tea, but I see it's popularity. It gives blokes the license to indulge their inner-juvenile and women get to tsssk, harumph and generally feel superior, as is their want. I'd be very surprised if they do any more than give him a 3 match ban. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:41 pm

Personally I like Top Gear. I like the lack of PC, I like the presenters and sometimes I like the format. It's like going to the pub with your mates, banter happens, its not meant seriously and no one is usually offended. It pivots around Clarkson playing the mindless moron, although I suspect that he is a shrewd and intelligent bloke. The point I want to make is that if the BBC pander to the ultra-sensitive, we are going to have programme makers only producing that which is "safe" and that means bland. More cake baking reality shows and dancing extravaganzas to name but two.

No one should go around thinking they are so untouchable that they can punch someone just because the catering arrangements are not up to scratch, but the Beeb have, in my opinion, totally over-reacted again.

:wifgeni:

#4 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:16 pm

the mans a fud

#5 Scurve

Scurve

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:21 pm

Bet channel 4 have already started writing a contract for him to start a new show

New name for the show ?

Suggestions please !

(In the spirit of the BBC, please keep them as clean as possible !)

Scurve

#6 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:40 pm

Maybe Mary Berry should get the job.

#7 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:02 pm

PR stunt by the BBC  :clapping:

Don't watch it but seems to be what the local Radio Station call news  :rotflmmfao:

I like to mee JC  :punishment:

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:46 pm

Pulling the next 2-3 shows at short notice is over-reacting by the beeb, it's our fookin' tv licence money. :oldgit:   They cudda just carried out an internal investigation and decided the outcome based on that, simples. ;)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 daveRapide

daveRapide

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:38 pm

I agree about TV in general being too bland, but as you rightly say, no one should go around thinking they are so untouchable that they can punch someone just because the catering arrangements are not up to scratch. The guy was already on a final warning, and, anywhere I have ever worked, punching someone (if that is genuinely what he did) is gross misconduct and instant dismissal, and rightly so. TV stars shouldn't be treated any differently from anyone else just because they have a lot of fans.

#10 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:19 pm

:wifgeni: Spot on QM. 

The reason the remaining shows have been pulled isn't just the BBC having a hissy fit, but the fact that the "live" links between VT in front of the studio audience and JCs "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" interviews are recorded a few days before the transmission. JCs been suspended (as any employee would be if he was accused of punching a co-worker), so can't do the "live" bits, so Sunday's show is incomplete. I guess the remainder of the show's transmissions are pending the outcome of the investigation. I doubt he'll be fired, he's much to valuable to the BBC in terms of revenue from overseas sales.

I'm going to guess that Clarkson has something in his contract about being replaced to. He owned 50% of the rights to Top Gear until 2012 when he sold them back to the BBC - no doubt with a few riders around his pay and conditions  :pimp: . 

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#11 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:42 am

:wifgeni: Spot on QM. 

The reason the remaining shows have been pulled isn't just the BBC having a hissy fit, but the fact that the "live" links between VT in front of the studio audience and JCs "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" interviews are recorded a few days before the transmission. JCs been suspended (as any employee would be if he was accused of punching a co-worker), so can't do the "live" bits, so Sunday's show is incomplete. I guess the remainder of the show's transmissions are pending the outcome of the investigation. I doubt he'll be fired, he's much to valuable to the BBC in terms of revenue from overseas sales.

I'm going to guess that Clarkson has something in his contract about being replaced to. He owned 50% of the rights to Top Gear until 2012 when he sold them back to the BBC - no doubt with a few riders around his pay and conditions  :pimp: . 

Took the words outta me mouth. Although I am pissed the rest of the series is off, but I understand why. 

#12 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:42 am

Took the words outta me mouth. Although I am pissed the rest of the series is off, but I understand why. 

YUP...Sunday night viewing was , IMHO, better with the Orangutan on the screen!

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#13 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:46 pm

the mans a fud

:good: :good:

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#14 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:31 pm

Who hasn't thrown there toys out of the pram at some stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users