Photo
- - - - -

New Owner,new Member,possible Issue Already ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Craig

Craig

Carpe Regular

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:09 am

Hi.
Been guided here as a new TDM owner through excellent comments I have been reading about this site on the net. My names Craig and I live in Devon in the UK. After a break of nearly 20 years,I had a midlife crisis and decided "I want another motorbike" .........
So a week ago today I went to Brighton to pick up my 2005 TDM 900,45,000 on the clock with a good service history. Now although I have fallen for it big time,I'm thinking maybe it has some "issues" ??.
Firstly when I turn the ignition on the dials all go clockwise then reset to there normal position,the Orange engine light comes on,then goes off ( I think this is all normal ),now when I press the start button the engine management light comes back on,the goes out again shortly afterwards is this bit normal ?.
Sorry if this sounds a stupid question,but the last bike I had was a Suzuki GSXR400RR back in 1996 when carburettors were all the rage..........
And by the way my 900 also has a power commander fitted,which again is all new to me,but depending on if there is any issues with my engine management light,I will ask more about that later........
Thanks in anticipation.......
Craig .....

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:15 am

The needles and all lights when you start up is normal

You'll sometimes get the red oil pressure light (bottom right of the rev counter) come on for a few seconds when you start it if the oil is a little bit low, but not sure about the engine management light.  If it's finding a fault there should be a code logged in the diagnostic readout http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=1955

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:34 am

Engine management light behaviour is normal.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:18 am

:welcome:  to da club Craig !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:52 pm

Engine management light behaviour is normal.

Does it on all injected yamacycles I think :good:

FZ6, XJ6 & FZ8,s deffo do it
Welcome to the crazies  Craig

Edited by yamahasam, 14 March 2015 - 07:16 am.

#6 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:13 pm

Hi Craig!

Welcome family! :cake eating:

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#7 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:17 pm

Welcome, good to have new people to fill the spaces vacated on the Tracer exodus :)

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:56 pm

I live in Devon in the UK.

I ewesed to be dare .... actually best update me location

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:21 pm

:welcome:  :cake eating: hi and welcome , seems all is normal with your bike , but as chrisg says about the oil light , I have it come on  just after start up but tend to ignore it as it goes out after a few miles ,  I usually do my own oil and filter change and I know how much oil I have put in her , :good:

#10 bondy

bondy

850 going for 900

• 852 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:28 pm

I ewesed to be dare .... actually best update me location

Morris dancing & Them Bentley Boys. Now yer local ish you could pop down 1st bank olliday in May and watch me make a tit of mesen chasing a rugby ball. Yep it be ORFC international Rugby Festoval time again. BEER & RUGBY what could possibly go wrong.

Hi.
Been guided here as a new TDM owner through excellent comments I have been reading about this site on the net. My names Craig and I live in Devon in the UK. After a break of nearly 20 years,I had a midlife crisis and decided "I want another motorbike" .........
So a week ago today I went to Brighton to pick up my 2005 TDM 900,45,000 on the clock with a good service history. Now although I have fallen for it big time,I'm thinking maybe it has some "issues" ??.
Firstly when I turn the ignition on the dials all go clockwise then reset to there normal position,the Orange engine light comes on,then goes off ( I think this is all normal ),now when I press the start button the engine management light comes back on,the goes out again shortly afterwards is this bit normal ?.
Sorry if this sounds a stupid question,but the last bike I had was a Suzuki GSXR400RR back in 1996 when carburettors were all the rage..........
And by the way my 900 also has a power commander fitted,which again is all new to me,but depending on if there is any issues with my engine management light,I will ask more about that later........
Thanks in anticipation.......
Craig .....

Welcome to the mad house. CAKE

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:48 pm

Now yer local ish you could pop down 1st bank olliday in May and watch me make a tit of mesen chasing a rugby ball.

Oi moight well be up ferret.  :)

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:57 pm

Welcome to da hoose Craig.
Not bad eh? All good news from the start!
Never heard of PC giving any probs. Should have smooothed out the charactoristic low speed / rev.... errr......roughness.
Ride and enjoy.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#13 Craig

Craig

Carpe Regular

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:14 pm

Wow......
Thanks for all the positive replies and warm welcomes :-)
Happy to know that yes all is fine with mine then... Regarding the PC,I have to confess I know nothing about it,it's under the seat and when the engine is running and I increase the revs,some green lights go up and down,so I have to assume it works :-) .....
Now then Devon,only lived here 4 years,so still finding my way through the cream teas,the coastline and yes,them Morris men !!!
But Axminster is situated right on the cusp of Devon,Dorset & Somerset so I have choices :-) .....
Spent some time reading through the various posts and sections on this site and it pretty much looks like you have everything covered
Madhouse sounds about right :-)
Right glad to be accepted into your knowledgeable community and any meets in the South-West area,I'll look forward to attending .
Oh BTW,regarding the "infamous" characteristics of the low speed/rev......errr ..... roughness :-) Wasn't there a recall on a possible mod to stop/cure this ???.......

#14 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:26 am

The recall was for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), which went some way to improve things.

The generally acknowledged best improvement comes with the "air box mod", which is well covered on here, and I found further improvement came when the PC was fitted and a bit of rolling road / dyno work done.

A dealer will be able to tell you whether the TPS recall was done.

The air box mod will show up as a disconnected / blanked vacuum hose running along the top of the airbox.

like I said.......Ride and enjoy !!

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:28 am

There was a recall for faulty TPS's but, iirc, they tended to cause the engine to stop unexpectedly or splutter and fart etc.  The low rev stutter is more of a 9'er trait which can be smoothed out by doing the airbox mod and/or fitting the PC.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users