9 replies to this topic

#1 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:41 pm

I have always liked VFRs but had never ridden one. I think the latest one is an exceptionally nice looking bike so I arranged a test ride. After 3 years on a TDM 900 I couldn't believe the riding position on the VFR. I nearly didn't continue with the ride because my feet felt so high up and my knees so bent. I almost felt contorted. After not too long it didn't feel so bad and I enjoyed the bike but the riding position is a bit too sporty for me. I was really impressed with how compact it was and how easy the handling. Also the engine was superb and really smooth.
Going home on the TDM afterwards I was so pleased at how comfortable it is !
Having a test ride like this makes you appreciate your own bike.

#2 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:07 pm

which model VFR800 was it?  ive had a couple, they are good bikes,

on the vtec ones the 16k valve check is a mega costly service, but if you don't do the miles or do it yourself  its not a issue,

you can alter things to make em comfortable 

Edited by ramo, 21 March 2015 - 11:08 pm.

#3 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:19 am

........not that your wandering eye should be encouraged.......but have you tried the Crossrunner ?......

Jiff

#4 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:35 am

........not that your wandering eye should be encouraged.......but have you tried the Crossrunner ?......

Jiff

When I mentioned to the sales guy that I found the VFR riding position too uncomfortable, he showed me the Crossrunner.
They only had one and it was sold. He said if I wanted one I would have to order it. I must say I was very impressed - it is
about £10,400 new but includes top box, centre stand, akropovich exhaust, tom tom satnav and heated grips. It is a very nice looking bike and has that great v4 engine. I am very tempted and still thinking about it. The only thing that is stopping me is that my TDM is so excellent.

#5 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:40 am

which model VFR800 was it?  ive had a couple, they are good bikes,

on the vtec ones the 16k valve check is a mega costly service, but if you don't do the miles or do it yourself  its not a issue,

you can alter things to make em comfortable

It was the latest one that so many people seem to slag off for some reason. Apart from me being too old for the riding position I thought it was a beautiful bike and so well made and designed. I wanted a VFR from the earliest 750 but in those days they were more than I could afford. In those days I rode an MZ 250 !

#6 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:49 am

The 2015 Crossrunners 242 kg fully wet is a deal breaker for me.

Compare that with 1190 Adventure S at 230 kg, TDM900A at 226 kg and MT09A Tracer at 210kg.

#7 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:49 am

Don't know about slagging them off, 

but there aint over 27,000 members on the VFR forum for nothing  :good:

good bikes but for me, I like cheap biking,

so that puts Honda, Triumph and BMW out of my options, due to their service costs

(I still own a blackbird though :rotflmmfao: , canna see me getting rid of that)

Edited by ramo, 22 March 2015 - 11:50 am.

#8 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:06 pm

I like cheap biking as well, and I love both my TDM and MT07 for their very low TCO.

The new Crossrunner is acually rather pretty and I'm sure it's both comfortable and pleasant to ride and live with.

But... why are most/all Hondas so damned heavy? If the Cross dropped 20 kilo It would have been a really nice bike I guess.

#9 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:36 pm

I like cheap biking as well, and I love both my TDM and MT07 for their very low TCO.

The new Crossrunner is acually rather pretty and I'm sure it's both comfortable and pleasant to ride and live with.
But... why are most/all Hondas so damned heavy? If the Cross dropped 20 kilo It would have been a really nice bike I guess.

I agree that on paper it appears heavy but it is about the same weight as the new VFR and I didn't notice that being heavy.

It is some of the big adventure tourers that seem really heavy - The Suoer Tenere, Triumph Explorer, Honda Crosstourer etc .
They are behemoths. I find it rather annoying when all the bike reviewers say that the weight is not noticeable when you are
moving. The problem with weight is when you are NOT moving - manoevering the bike into a garage or parking etc.
The bike mags never like to mention that because it is not what the manufacturers want them to say.

#10 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:16 pm

I have always liked VFRs but had never ridden one. I think the latest one is an exceptionally nice looking bike so I arranged a test ride. After 3 years on a TDM 900 I couldn't believe the riding position on the VFR. I nearly didn't continue with the ride because my feet felt so high up and my knees so bent. I almost felt contorted. After not too long it didn't feel so bad and I enjoyed the bike but the riding position is a bit too sporty for me. I was really impressed with how compact it was and how easy the handling. Also the engine was superb and really smooth.
Going home on the TDM afterwards I was so pleased at how comfortable it is !
Having a test ride like this makes you appreciate your own bike.

My thoughts exactly. Peach of a motor, the Vtec effect is great.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users