14 replies to this topic

#1 Manx1200

Manx1200

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:33 pm

Having never taken my bike to Ireland before, I'm going to the HUBB meeting in Enniskillen end of June. After this finishes I'll have most of the Sunday (after packing up camping gear), Monday, Tuesday then need to be in Dublin Wednesday afternoon. Any suggestions for a rough route, things to see etc. looking at a max of 200mile days so I'm not rushing around like a blue-arsed fly, and can camp or cheap B&B.
cheers, Paul.

Edited by Manx1200, 27 March 2015 - 07:34 pm.

MotoGuzzi Norge 1200GT. for Euro touring
Triumph Street Triple. For those hooligan moments......
Beta Alp 200. For falling off In muddy bits.
I suffer from C.D.O. It's like O.C.D. but all the letters are in the correct order, just as they should be.

banner1.jpg

#2 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:37 pm

Hi Paul

Went there for the first time myself last year. Head west to Sligo, onto Ballina and follow the Atlantic Coast Road down to Galway. Easily done in a day. Then a nice easy ride around the south and head across to Dublin after that. Galway was a must stop when we went and it didn't disappoint.

#3 Manx1200

Manx1200

has been here 4ever

• 1,040 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:23 am

Cheers Matt, I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good weather!
I suffer from C.D.O. It's like O.C.D. but all the letters are in the correct order, just as they should be.

banner1.jpg

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:15 pm

That northern coast from Larne, past the Giant's Causeway and onto Portrush is one of the finest roads for scenery. Other than that I'd speak to that nice Mr Larkin and his manager when he gets back from visiting his other client Mr Rossi  - between the two of them, they know some cracking roads  :good: .

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 Manx1200

Manx1200

has been here 4ever

• 1,040 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:09 am

I'll do that Chris. Pretty much follow your nose and you'll find a good road, but it's always nice to get recommendations from someone who's been there. See you in Leominster.

banner1.jpg

#6 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:53 am

Hi Paul

The nicest place around that part of the country is Westport.I would recommend working your way along backroads from Enniskillen to Manorhamilton then onto Sligo. There is a great place for lunch there in a department store cafe but the food is brilliant, TeDeum may chime in later with the name. Then head for Enniscrone and take the coast road around Ballycroy National Park and down into Westport. There is a lovely campsite in Westport House which is 15min walk from the town. Head into town for a few pints and the atmosphere which is terrific all summer. 

Next day bimble on down the coast definitely in Lousiburg which is a great road and around Croagh Patrick and on to Cliften and then if you like cities head for Galway. Galway does not do it for me but whatever you are into, it is lively at night and quite friendly. There is a motorway right back to Dublin which takes about 2hrs or if you can take the B road which is more entertaining.

As always watch your gear and get local advice on parking up if its in the city areas.

Final word, watch out for gravel, we specialize in laying layers of pebbles over new tarmac and not putting up any signs to make it more interesting, TeDeum will testify on this matter!

Enjoy, oh  and don't you know it never rains in Ireland but we just don't advertise the fact.

APW

Edited by apw99, 29 March 2015 - 11:56 am.

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#7 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:40 pm

I dare you to walk across this damn bridge http://www.discovern...llycastle-P2829 . I got half way across & turned back. Had I gone all the way I would have had to be airlifted off. :lol:

The Somme Heritage Centre is well worth a detour. I found it very thought provoking indeed http://www.discovern...wtownards-P2864  :um:  

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:21 am

Watching this thread with interest, be heading over with the misses in August. :good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 Manx1200

Manx1200

has been here 4ever

• 1,040 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:02 am

Cheers Alex, some good stuff there. I'm no fan of cities either, may have a drive through Galway for a quick skeet then back into the countryside. The roads in Wales last year were just the same for gravel, first day thought I was in a feckin enduro! And may be tempted by that bridge Sam, the thought of cake may just make me cross it......

banner1.jpg

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:00 am

Agree that that the Antrim coast road is fantastic but it's not exactly on route from Eniskillen to Dublin.  However if you go that way then the cake shop at Ballintoy harbour is an essential stop.  So good that Moose proposed to the owner and think he, Trev and myself left about 2 stone heavier.  

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:57 am

Hi Paul,

Alex has it pretty well sorted for you from where you are starting and within the time you have. Basically head west until you see the signs for The Wild Atlantic Way and follow those - you can't go wrong. Go into Clifden via the Sky Road - turn off the N59 towards Derreen and follow the loop and see some of the most dramatic sea views in Ireland. On to Galway on the N59. If there is time take a look at the Burren (N18 South then N67) and cut across on any of the minor roads to Ennis and the N18 back to Galway to the motorway for Dublin.

If you had the time I could show you some stunning roads and passes in Kerry and Cork. You need to come over again!

Edit. The restaurant in Sligo is Lyons and you go upstairs. It's bear the Town Hall if you are asking anyone.

Edited by TeDeum, 30 March 2015 - 12:14 pm.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#12 Manx1200

Manx1200

has been here 4ever

• 1,040 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:42 pm

Sounds like my kind of shop Chris! (G). And I should be ok to try some of the Atlantic way, don't have to be in Dublin until 6pm on wednesday, although I'd like to get there a bit earlier. Thanks for the offer Chris, think I'll be over again, just a flying visit in between the HUBB meeting and AC/DC Concert in Dublin. Going to be a good week!

Edited by Manx1200, 30 March 2015 - 04:43 pm.

banner1.jpg

#13 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:47 am

You could follow the lough to Bundoran , and swing south along the coast to Sligo, before heading to Ballina. From there via Killala towards Belmullet then Bangor Erris to Mulranny en route to Westport.

Hi Paul

The nicest place around that part of the country is Westport.I would recommend working your way along backroads from Enniskillen to Manorhamilton then onto Sligo.

Stu

#14 OwenMc

OwenMc

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:08 pm

If you have time to kill before getting the ferry back (presuming it's from Dublin), the Wicklow Gap used to be a worthwhile short loop, from the N81 over towards Laragh.... not sure of the state of it these days, though.

Edited by OwenMc, 31 March 2015 - 07:09 pm.

'64 MkI chassis, MkV specs, dodgy suspension, aerodynamic haircut, grab-handles :-)
'90 GS450L, '92 XJ600S, '99 TDM 850 '06 TDM 900A

#15 Manx1200

Manx1200

has been here 4ever

• 1,040 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a few hours to kill on the thursday, ferry leaves about 3pm. That'll fill the day in nicely.Staying in Bala, north wales overnight before travelling down to Leominster for the G2G. Back home on the ferry Sunday afternoon. Should put a fewmiles on Nora!

banner1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users