#1 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:14 am

Greetings all,

Reason I got myself a TDM is that most bikes are on the small side for me. Also, I like it moderately offroad. Did a bit of googling and it came down to three models - TDM, Varadero and V-Strom. Had an XJ 900 in my youth and was pleased with the quality, and came over a near mint 2002 TDM. 

Still, it felt small. I've got long arms and legs, and I sometimes felt like I was riding pillion on my own bike. Not to mention the stone hard saddle, didn't add much to the overall comfort. All my modifications are motivated by stuff I've found in this forum, so huge thanks to all of you.  

So this is what I have done so far, with comments on the perceived results.

1. Sheep skin on the saddle. Did nothing for me. Added a 20 mm gel insert (link), still too hard. Air Hawk turned our to be hard (sic!) to get here in Norway, so just to experiment I slipped a self inflating camping mat (£ 6.98) under the sheep skin. Lo and behold - worked wonderfully! Wipped out the missus' sewing machine and added velcro straps to the sheep skin, so it sits snugly onto the saddle, as well as bonding the mat to the skin with some hefty carpet tape. Adjustable on the fly, no compressor or stuff - open valve, stand up to inflate, sit to deflate, close valve. 

s-l140.jpg

2. Elevated the bar. First I tried these (bay 123825178091):

p.jpg

Now, it turned out that these will either bring the bar backwards a fair bit, or, if fitted backwards, elevate straight up. Didn't really work for me. Then I found these (bay 303340841210):

p.jpg

Perfect, I now have the bar up and forward a fair bit. Also continuously adjustable.

3. Added Renthal 755 bar, in black (bay 273979649554), £32 delivered (UK)

s-l300.jpg

Had it forwarded to Norway by splendid fellow forum member daplev, along with a complimentary unused visor - thanks again!. As many before have reported, the sweep feels more natural. No issues with cable or brake line lenghts. Got a tap and threaded the bar ends (no drilling necessary) for the bar end weights, but I haven't got around to fit them yet. No vibrations, though, so may not fit them at all.

4. Lowered the pegs 40 mm. Fully adjustable. (bay 292947015666), £ 29.88.

They are only listed with 25 mm risers, but the company will ship 40 mm risers upon request. 

p.jpg

Works very well for me, and being tapered, hardly any ground clearance is lost. No problems with the brake pedal, but it must of course be adjusted accordingly. Two minor issues - the gear linkage is now extended to the maximum, and the pedal must be shifted one tooth on the spline. I would really rather have a longer link arm, but is is a bit complicated with half of it being links-threaded and all. Any suggestions here?

Also, the heel of my boots now rests on the peg bracket. Not uncomfortable, but may impair the toeball weight shifting during spirited driving. Will have to try it out a bit.

5. Elevated the rear end 45 mm with shorter link arms. (bay 223106610393), £19

p.jpg

The bike now feels more .. right? when I sit on it. Still have my heels flat on the ground. Haven't tested it on the tracks or off road yet, will see if there is any perceived change in the handling. Did lube up the entire suspension, though.

6. Extended the mirrors 40 mm, (bay 163736195597), £ 8.85

p.jpg

This is the single most useful modification I've done. Looks absolutely original, and gives me a GREAT view of what's behind me instead of my shoulders. Really a dramatic improvement! 

7. Changed levers to black with yellow trim, (bay 262736907973), £ 15.69

p.jpg

Perfect fit, good look. A bit angular, somewhat less comfortable grip than the originals with bare hands. With gloves it doesn't matter. I went for the long ones, only slightly shorter than the originals. I wish I'd taken the short ones, I think they would be big enough even for my size 12 hands. Maybe I'll get some later.

8. Got muffs. (bay 163881970540), £4.76

p.jpg

With these I have ridden in 2 deg C with bare hands on my heated grips. Just need a long sleeve to cover the wrists. Opening is a bit narrow, so a hassle to use with even thin gloves. Fits well without the bar ends, may be on the small side with bar ends. Also not compatible with hand protectors.

I am playing with an idea of fabricating a velcro based muff addition to my hand protectors, thereby getting the best of two worlds. Shouldn't be to difficult. 

Still to come:

- mud flap

- crash bungs

- crash bars

- air horn

- extra lights

- center stand

- Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs

Edited by Norwegian, 02 April 2020 - 10:18 am.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:33 am

:clapping:  :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:41 pm

Cool!

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:55 pm

to extend your change rod have a look at these

https://www.safetyge...B8aArTVEALw_wcB

or google stainless turnbuckle for rigging.

you might get lucky

Edited by drewpy, 02 April 2020 - 03:55 pm.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:04 pm

Thanks, will do!

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:11 pm

Saw  in half and weld a bit in

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:44 pm

Ref gear adjustment rod, if you let me know what length in mm your require, I can make you one. It will be stainless of course. I made Studley one for an 850 when some Oik pinched his.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:49 pm

Good bigification skills.

I found the sheeps works well for touring together with an air dork. Which is the same combos as your inflatable sheeps I suppose.

Those footpegs would prolly be good for my legs...but having run myself over enough to bend the brake lever back 90degs (whilst staying on), I don't think them tapered bits would be very forgiving... Not that I plan on re-peteing that.

Looks like ewe have been busy.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:13 pm

good project. I remember  'Minty Hippo' did similar mods to his 900 as he was a tall chap too.   Show us yer steed please. 

Norwegian some of those ebay item numbers are dud it would seem.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:20 pm

Good bigification skills.

I found the sheeps works well for touring together with an air dork. Which is the same combos as your inflatable sheeps I suppose.

Those footpegs would prolly be good for my legs...but having run myself over enough to bend the brake lever back 90degs (whilst staying on), I don't think them tapered bits would be very forgiving... Not that I plan on re-peteing that.

Looks like ewe have been busy.

holy god,  did ya break yer ankle?  i agree on the sheepskin (tank yew very much Dapleb) as i find them excellent for cumfort but combined with an airhawk would be even better.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#11 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:44 pm

@leehenty, I'd be very interested in that. I'll measure it up come weekend. 👍

#12 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:32 pm

Attached File  20200402_204702.jpg   789KB   7 downloads

Risers in action.

Attached File  Screenshot_20200311-134910_Photos.jpg   196.4KB   4 downloads   

Valve on the blue self inflatable cushion peeking out at the rear left corner. I like the skin very much, only it's not soft enough in itself  for my steely buns.

@wicklamulla, sorry bout those eeby numbers, they do tend to expire. Most of the stuff should still be available from somebody else, though. 

Edited by Norwegian, 02 April 2020 - 07:40 pm.

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:10 pm

attachicon.gif 20200402_204702.jpg

Risers in action.

attachicon.gif Screenshot_20200311-134910_Photos.jpg   

Valve on the blue self inflatable cushion peeking out at the rear left corner. I like the skin very much, only it's not soft enough in itself  for my steely buns.

@wicklamulla, sorry bout those eeby numbers, they do tend to expire. Most of the stuff should still be available from somebody else, though. 

no worries,  we look forward to reading more about yer steed.

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:31 am

Ref gear adjustment rod, if you let me know what length in mm your require, I can make you one. It will be stainless of course. I made Studley one for an 850 when some Oik pinched his.

I was going to mention it Lee.

A fine job indeed. :)

5653158955_15acec37ac_b.jpg

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:33 pm

So mr Henty, the link arm would need to be 153 mm to get maximum grip. Threads each end 20 mm minimum, perhaps 25 mm would be better, that way it could be fine tuned by grinding off a mm or two if necessary. 

Attached File  Gear linkage original.jpg   61.18KB   0 downloads

This is my current setup with the gear lever (top) rotated one tooth CW to acommodate the lower pedal. Note: For shorter riders looking to elevate their pegs, the lever can be rotated one or even two teeth CCW and still be fitting under the cover when upshifting. That way the original link arm should fit even with a substantially lifted gear pedal.

Attached File  Gear linkage pinching.jpg   68.97KB   0 downloads

This is the reason the lever can only be rotated one tooth - any more, and the link arm pinches when downshifting.

Attached File  Gear link.jpg   59KB   0 downloads

Not much of a hold left here (locking nuts in actual position)

Attached File  Gear pedal lowered.jpg   50.57KB   1 downloads

Side view of current setup. 

#16 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:53 pm

Ok 153mm long 25mm threads noted, I'll throw a piece of 8mm 316 in the lathe this weekend. It will have nice knurling like Studley's. Please pm address where you want it sent.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:59 pm

I have had a stop due to waiting for parts, so I popped a bit of 8mm 316 in lathe and made your rod. Pictures to follow.

#18 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:34 pm

Will this do ?
Interrupted knurls denotes left handed thread.

#19 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:12 pm

We're all gonna want one now. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#20 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:51 pm

Will this do ?
Interrupted knurls denotes left handed thread.

Looks perfect to me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users