• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:12 pm

Just seen this on the net,

Has anyone else seen it

http://s410372035.in.../yamaha-tdm900/

http://s410372035.in.../yamaha-tdm900/

Edited by paddy900, 26 April 2013 - 09:14 pm.

2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:22 pm

Been posted up Paddy and i think Tam bought one..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• 1,246 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:28 pm

:hide:  :istupid:

2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:29 pm

You thinkin off getting one then Paddy !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 nav18tor

nav18tor

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:35 pm

Oh I love the fame

Yes, that's my (now gone) TDM900 in the images

And the kit is a suberb bit of engineering

He who dies with the most toys wins

No more 2007 in white

In it's place is a big blue FJR1300

Touring Portugal? this is the perfect base

145071.png

#6 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• 1,246 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:40 pm

Looks interesting,

Undecided between it and a Vario touring screen

Join us on Facebook

#7 ajfergie

ajfergie

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:27 pm

Yip I seen it too paddy looks a good bit ov kit

#8 gabby

gabby

really likes Carpe

• 95 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:50 pm

Hi folks. I bought one of these adapters direct from Palmer Products and took it on a test ride today so will give my views.

I had been using an MRA Vario screen for a while, and although it's a slight improvement it's not worth the money...in my opinion. The whole screen and front end design of the bike is bog. The screen angle is too shallow and it's set too far aft, so it's never going to work well, no matter how much higher the screen is.

I used the adapter with the standard screen and initially set it to a position one down from the most vertical and highest, shown here: (if this attachment works)

Attached File  PICT0006.JPG   136.93KB   133 downloads

The most noticeable difference when I got to freeway speed was that I could hear the engine, and I've not heard it like that previously. The edge of the wind blast was hitting at the top of my visor, rather than in the middle of it, and that made a huge difference. It's the single biggest improvement in all the dicking around I've done with screens.

The adapter throws the screen some way off the original mounting points and there is a big gap, which helps it to work by letting air behind the screen. However I wanted to close that gap a little, mostly for when it's raining, so experimented some more. I fitted a cut-down section of an old screen at the bottom, extending some way behind. The top two mounting points on each side of the adapter screws got 3mm spacers behind to keep it all straight.

The additional screen section seemed to make things a little quieter again. It possibly helped by directing air flow up the rear of the raised screen.

The next photos show this lower screen section fitted and the adapter set to the highest and most vertical setting:

Attached File  PICT0005.JPG   140.61KB   185 downloads

Attached File  PICT0003.JPG   186.07KB   173 downloads

Attached File  PICT0001.JPG   138.59KB   132 downloads

The highest setting was slightly quieter again, and the edge of the air blast was now just above my visor.

It's a bit weird-looking when fitted, but then so am I, so nothing lost there and I'm after functionality rather than looks. It throws the screen forward as well as higher and that does seem to be the secret to it.

More testing later, but it seems to be money well spent at this stage. It's expensive but a well-made product. Only change might be to paint the adapter black.  ... g

Edited by gabby, 28 April 2013 - 01:00 pm.

#9 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:52 pm

Great write up.

You must have read my mind with the idea of adding a screen back on and cutting it to fit the bracket, though it looks like you have had to cut quite a bit of screen off.

TAM 

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#10 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:42 pm

Looks like KTM (Adventure), Aprilia (Caponord) and Kawasaki (Versys) have had the better idea  all along, then, with their more upright screens?

Edited by Pict, 28 April 2013 - 03:50 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#11 nav18tor

nav18tor

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:57 pm

I am sure that you can specify a black powder coat finish for the brackets

He who dies with the most toys wins

No more 2007 in white

In it's place is a big blue FJR1300

Touring Portugal? this is the perfect base

145071.png

#12 gabby

gabby

really likes Carpe

• 95 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:37 pm

Great write up.

You must have read my mind with the idea of adding a screen back on and cutting it to fit the bracket, though it looks like you have had to cut quite a bit of screen off.

TAM 

Thanks. I did cut a lot off but that was deliberate as there was no way to mount it securely at the top. The adapter hardware is in the way so you have to cut the original screen away in the vicinity of the top two mounting screws. There might be a way to leave more and mount it securely but I'm not sure how much it will improve it.

#13 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:14 pm

Gabby - how much flex do you get on the fairing now you have a greater screen area? I'm thinking of 50mph plus?

Ta.

#14 gabby

gabby

really likes Carpe

• 95 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:11 am

Gabby - how much flex do you get on the fairing now you have a greater screen area? I'm thinking of 50mph plus?

Ta.

I didn't notice any wild flexing at up to probably 70mph on those test runs. Having the air gap at the bottom is good for that reason too. I gave it a good pull test after fitting and I don't see it having a problem.  But I would be careful adding a taller than standard screen

#15 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:36 pm

A lot of time has gone into that, pity about the results.
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#16 pescador

pescador

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:36 pm

So with the MRA Vario screen , did you have the little one or the big one? I was thinking of buying the X-creen which is the bigger one , a decent screen is the only thing I miss on my last bike an XT1200,

#17 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:32 pm

Fwiw, the PP screen adaptor works better for me than the MRA Vario

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#18 doboy

doboy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:16 am

ive seen these on other bikes and they seem to work  ok but i think it just dosent look right  at all on the TDM with a huge gap between the screen & fairing ..

#19 pescador

pescador

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:22 pm

Thanks Pict , just looked at the PP website and I think this the way to go , I agree with doboy it is not a thing of beauty but looks like it will do the job , i'm not a scientist but apparently you need a gap at the bottom of the screen as well to balance the airflow or some such witchcraft . My previous 3 bike were an XT1200 an XT660 and a Buell Ulysses( worst bike I ever owned) but they all had these upright screens that split the air so well    

#20 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:38 pm

I've been running it with a normal screen, but am curious to know what an MRA Vario would do.  Looks don't matter much - the trike is a freak that invites modification anyway. Might even get enough lift like a triplane, and pop a few wheelies... :badgerrock:

The only thing that in truth makes me nervous is the flex in the inner fairing over bumps or if the setting isn't right.

PS Never seen or tried an X-creen, but it does look interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users