#21 nav18tor

nav18tor

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:14 pm

I never tried the standard screen, my TDM900 came with a MRA Vario

The reason I was helping Palmer Products out was that I was not at all happy with the Vario screen, whatever adjusttment I tried just did not work

I never actually tried the Palmer Products brackets as the bike went within a few days, my bike was used for final product checking and images 

The Palmer Products stuff is fantastically engineered and worth every penny

Standard screen on my FJR1300 was not a lot better, running with a Puig Touring which is OK, but not the answer

He who dies with the most toys wins

No more 2007 in white

In it's place is a big blue FJR1300

Touring Portugal? this is the perfect base

145071.png

#22 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:13 pm

I had good results with Palmer adjustable screen brackets on my CBF1000 (coupled with a Givi touring screen) and also on my NC700-X (with Palmer's own medium screen). The fairing/screen design of both bikes had really poor and the Palmer stuff made a big difference. Their products really are top quality and, if you pay the £10 extra to have the manual clamps, you can change the height and rake of your screen in seconds. I fitted a screen pair of their 4-bracket set to each of my screens (the small OE one and the bigger touring one) so that I could swap them over in a couple of minutes. Iain and Margaret P are really nice people to deal with too so, if the standard TDM set up doesn't suit me when I get my bike, I'll be on the phone to them again.

#23 pescador

pescador

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:03 pm

Have done about 1000 miles now with the Palmer Products screen riser , it is a huge improvement for me over the standard, I have it on the lowest but most upright setting and my screen is the Yamaha Tall one. Very little fairing flex at legal speeds . Also just bought some mirror extenders from China on Ebay for about a tenner including postage as i got fed up with looking at my elbows all the time. here is the linc ; http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649 very good product for the money 

#24 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:12 pm

the brackts on this look similar to the PP one,

http://www.bikehps.c...rds.html#a59164

this is for a complete kit - brkt's, powder coated inner screen and windscreen

anyone used one of these?

look good, expensive, but if you weigh all the bits up a lot of stuff,

I just thought toooo much outlay for a screen

#25 Jacko575

Jacko575

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:47 pm

Well, I've made the jump & bought the Palmer Products (I got it today!) so I'll be trying it out as soon as I can get it fitted... :D

#26 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• 890 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:51 pm

give us a shout when it's fitted, i'd be interested in having a closer look

#27 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:13 am

Well, I've made the jump & bought the Palmer Products (I got it today!) so I'll be trying it out as soon as I can get it fitted... :D

Still working for me.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#28 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:38 pm

looks useful design ... 

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#29 Jacko575

Jacko575

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:56 pm

I've installed my Palmer Products screen spacer today & I'm chuffed to bits! I've opted for the black powder coating, adjustable knobs & the sat nav bar.

The sat nav bar joins the screws for the rear adjustable mounts & I suspect contributes to the overall rigidity. The black powder coating matches the black plastic dash & with the setting at high-rear, middle-front, it works pretty much the same as high-rear, rear-front but doesn't put the screen so far forward. There is minimal buffeting as I suspect that as there is now air coming through (what looks like an air-intake where the screen is raised) it has stopped my head being caught in the vortices at what was the trailing edge of a wing (no more 'bobble-head!)

There is some flex, which comes from the fairing itself- the mount itself is rock-solid, but I have no concerns & I tried it at speed without any issues.

Perhaps I will look into preventing the sat nav bar from rotating under load of my sat nav (I've got to wire the loom in 1st!) But it is in an ideal location placing it higher & easier to view with minimal head movement or distraction, but still shielded to a great degree from the elements.

#30 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:47 am

Fitted a set of Palmer brackets yesterday. Based on previous experience with these brackets on other bikes, I set the screen in lowest height / most upright rake position. Only had chance for a quick 8-mile test ride (half motorway, half A-roads) so no time to play with other settings, but was well pleased with the results. I had already fitted a set of Nippy Norman's handlebar 'radius risers' (25mm up and 18mm back) earlier in the week. They really improved comfort but lifted my head a bit more into the air flow. The Palmer brackets have more than compensated for the risers, resulting in less wind blast than the standard TDM bar/screen set-up without introducing any of the dreaded buffeting. Before the addition of the risers and screen brackets, my visor used to snap shut at about 50mph. Adding the risers dropped this to about 40mph. Now it stays open on the first click up to 60-ish - despite the strong blustery wind during my test ride. All in all, the risers and brackets have made an excellent bike even better and I'd strongly recommend both for anyone of medium dimensions like me (5' 8" tall with 31" inseam and average arm length).

#31 CharlieMac

CharlieMac

sticking around

• 37 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:03 pm

Have done about 1000 miles now with the Palmer Products screen riser , it is a huge improvement for me over the standard, I have it on the lowest but most upright setting and my screen is the Yamaha Tall one. Very little fairing flex at legal speeds . Also just bought some mirror extenders from China on Ebay for about a tenner including postage as i  got fed up with looking at my elbows all the time. here is the linc ; http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649 very good product for the money 

Must concur with Pescador re; the mirror extenders. However, they cause problems with my IAM (Institute of Advanced years Motorcyclists) instructor insisting that I am not checking my mirrors enough as he cannot see my head moving. I don't need to move my head anymore, as I can see behind me perfectly by just averting my eyes to the left or right. There is just no pleasing some people.

#32 Scout18

Scout18

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:46 pm

I like the PP design. I've had a similar adapter on my KLR for a couple of years from KLR dash.com  At it's highest nearly vertical setting it gives a very smooth non buffeting ride but I can't see over it very well so I have it one notch  down which gives a little  buffeting at  top speed (70ish mph ;) ) but is very tolerable.

#33 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:43 pm

JOB DONE! Have finally done what I've been meaning to do for a while now, namely make a 'dash cover' to finish off my screen mods. The idea was to make a semi-rigid plastic panel that fits between the Palmer adjustable brackets and screen to protect the dash instruments from the rain, improve the laminar air-flow, and tidy-up the appearance of the bike a bit. It took me a while to find the right material in terms of thickness and stiffness but I finally fitted the rough prototype today and went for a spin. I can honestly say that the combination of the Palmer brackets, standard TDM screen and my panel gives me a set-up that (at last!!) meets all my expectations in terms of performance, appearance and cost. Next step is to remove the panel and use it as a template to make a properly finished version with nice clean holes in exactly the right places, a bottom-centre fixing, push-on edge trim, and trim clips to attach it to a couple of redundant holes in the bottom of the Palmer brackets. Oh, and I'm getting Palmers to powder-coat the brackets black so they look a bit more discreet. RESULT!!! :badgerrock:

http://i1149.photobu...zpsfe9b1e51.jpg

http://i1149.photobu...zps02c8029f.jpg

http://i1149.photobu...zpsf63fe05a.jpg

PS Thinking about it, a very cost-effective option would be the dash cover and standard screen separated by tap-washers or similar spacers (say 1 on the bottom holes, 2 in the centre, and 3 at the top to create some through-flow and make the screen a bit more upright). It wouldn't be as good as my set-up but I'm pretty sure that it would be better than standard.

#34 howie

howie

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:31 pm

Yep i think this is the way to go, I bought the PP with powder coat,quick ajusters post& packing, £98.00, not cheap but better than buying lots of other screens that dont work.
Result no buffeting not silent but better than standard and you can put it in the lowest setting for hot days whatever they are?

#35 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:26 pm

wish day did wan fer the TDM850

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#36 CPHrider

CPHrider

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:48 pm

JOB DONE! Have finally done what I've been meaning to do for a while now, namely make a 'dash cover' to finish off my screen mods. The idea was to make a semi-rigid plastic panel that fits between the Palmer adjustable brackets and screen to protect the dash instruments from the rain, improve the laminar air-flow, and tidy-up the appearance of the bike a bit. It took me a while to find the right material in terms of thickness and stiffness but I finally fitted the rough prototype today and went for a spin. I can honestly say that the combination of the Palmer brackets, standard TDM screen and my panel gives me a set-up that (at last!!) meets all my expectations in terms of performance, appearance and cost. Next step is to remove the panel and use it as a template to make a properly finished version with nice clean holes in exactly the right places, a bottom-centre fixing, push-on edge trim, and trim clips to attach it to a couple of redundant holes in the bottom of the Palmer brackets. Oh, and I'm getting Palmers to powder-coat the brackets black so they look a bit more discreet. RESULT!!! :badgerrock:

http://i1149.photobu...zpsfe9b1e51.jpg

http://i1149.photobu...zps02c8029f.jpg

http://i1149.photobu...zpsf63fe05a.jpg

PS Thinking about it, a very cost-effective option would be the dash cover and standard screen separated by tap-washers or similar spacers (say 1 on the bottom holes, 2 in the centre, and 3 at the top to create some through-flow and make the screen a bit more upright). It wouldn't be as good as my set-up but I'm pretty sure that it would be better than standard.

Mike, it looks really good. May I ask, what was your choice of material for the dash cover? I have a spare screen, which, I guess, I could just use.
Cheers
Jakob

#37 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:57 am

Looks like scrumpy did just that. So did I. I cut a cheap STD screen to size and left the sides to extent all the way to the end of the fairing. That way the fairing sides get a bit more support. Without it the Palmer brackets are flexing the fairing an awful lot at higher speeds and a bit of wind. That fairing does seem a bit fragile for that. Also add the bar across! Even if you are not using it as a sat nav holder. It stiffens things up a bit.

Rob

#38 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:00 am

Hi Jakob, this was sheet material used for industrial roof guttering that I got from a friend of mine.  Actually, I've since managed to get hold of the much nicer version with a textured surface on one side.  As you can imagine though, the manufacturer only supplies this to the trade in large rolls.  If you pm me your details, I'll happily send you what you need for £5 plus p&p costs.  I can send a couple of pic's first if you're interested.

Mike

#39 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:46 am

Hi Jakob, this was sheet material used for industrial roof guttering that I got from a friend of mine.  Actually, I've since managed to get hold of the much nicer version with a textured surface on one side.  As you can imagine though, the manufacturer only supplies this to the trade in large rolls.  If you pm me your details, I'll happily send you what you need for £5 plus p&p costs.  I can send a couple of pic's first if you're interested.

Mike

Hi Mike, tell us what ye riding now please?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#40 scrumpymike

scrumpymike

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:09 am

Unfortunately nothing - sold my Honda NCX750 and Guzzi Cali Jackal last year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users