Thought I would provide a little write up about My findings on the new ecu.
Firstly, as previously mentioned my engine has been lightly tuned, including:
- raised compression
- fast road cams
- ported head
I have rebuilt the bike over the winter and refreshed virtually everything on there.
I decided to treat the bike to a custom ecu given the old power commander on the bike gave up the ghost.
The Ignijet ECU is a standalone ecu, which means you do away with the stock ecu altogether, unlike the Power Commander which is a piggy back ecu and intercepts and modifies the signals the stock ecu sends.
The advantage of a stand alone ecu is full control of all areas of engine management. With a piggy back ecu you always have the stock ecu underneath trying to conform with its original brief of emissions, noise and safety regulations, so you will always have things such as reducing the power output in lower gears, dips in certain sections of the power/torque curve where it had to conform to some noise or emission regulation etc
The standalone doesn't care about any of that. It has a fully customisable ignition and fuel map, and can also split the fueling maps for individual cylinders, and both the ignition and fueling tables can be setup for each gear if you want to.
I decided to buy the wide band lambda setup and see if I can build a map myself using the autotune function. It took me a while to get it working, nothing was happening until I realised the autotune function actually happens on the laptop not the ecu, so I eventually got myself a setup with a laptop in a back pack on my back.
I developed a tuning process on a long straight slightly uphill section of local dual carriageway, where I could do some top gear roll on's with varying constant throttle openings. The gradient providing a bit more resistance to the engines speed increase.
I did a few of these runs up and down, and headed home to see the results. The laptop records the values in a compensation map, which you can then choose to apply or not.
I have done this process about 4 times now and the adjustments are getting smaller an smaller every time I head out.
The results are quite impressive. Where it was a bit hesitant or flat, it was identifying and adding or taking away fuel as necessary. The net effect is the bike is super smooth from 2000rpm upwards. Its got that buttery smooth throttle uptake that carbs have, and it pulls like a train from 4000rpm onward.
The engine feels much stronger everywhere, and its also a lot smoother, which i didn't expect. Vibrations are much reduced. in normal cruising conditions.
The map is pretty much sorted now, all hesitation and flat spots have been elliminated, and I tuned the the engine to a nice safe 13.8 to 13.5 AFR.
I need to have a look at the ignition map now, I think I can retard the ignition a touch on the full throttle maps as I should have better cylinder fill with the tuned engine. This is going to be a bit of an experiment as I have not really messed around with ignition maps, but I'll report back my findings.
Jobs left to do is installed the quickshifter and enable the function on the ecu, and over the winter I am going to fit front and rear wheel speed sensors and enable the traction control feature.
Edited by Coxylaad, 04 June 2019 - 02:19 pm.