#1 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:35 am

So my left front disc on the 4tx is warped so need to source a replacement

in this thread  I found a list of discs from other model's that will fit so anyone got any to add to it so I can widen my search and (hopefully) not get screwed on price

298mm Dia
TZR 250 (3MAI) 89
FZR400 RR (4DX) 92
FZ 400 96
FZR 400 (3TJ1/2/6/7)
FZR 400 (3ENZ) 89
SR 400 (BC-RH01J)
XJR 400 95-
FZR 600 83-93
FZR 600 R 94-95
FZS 600 FAZER 98-03
FZ 750 89-91
TDM 850 91-01
TRX 850 96-99
FJ1200 (3CV/3XW) 88-95

Or the other option is to buy a full set of ebay ones, anyone have good results with something like this set

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#2 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:51 am

Avoid Chinese disks is all I've heard. Trouble with some of the sellers, they don't tell you the source of the disks......

Did I read somewhere on here you can swap to 9'er disks? Would a wheel including disks be a way to go? Don't know how compatible 9'er wheels or others are with 850's.

Edited by TKH, 20 January 2020 - 11:53 am.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:40 pm

Only the 9r rear disc will swap over,  pretty sure drewpy had a disc made up for his mk2 from here, i grabbed a set of nearly new Brembo's which were originally fitted to an Aprilia Futura, cant remember year, but would imagine other Aprilias fit also..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:10 pm

Bought a pair of Tarazon wavy discs from Amazon back in August £129.99
Not had any issues with them so far
Still on sale 3-4 day dispatch they estimate del - Wed 29 - Feb 5Attached File  20190924_143447.jpg   96.07KB   2 downloads

The Cable ties are not a permanent fixture - was just to get me home. Cos I forgot to tighten the bolt oops

Edited by Andy25, 20 January 2020 - 07:12 pm.

#5 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:17 pm

Does it follow then that if a disc is 298mm outer diameteer then the inner diameter and bolt hole spacings are the same?

#6 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:29 pm

This Amazon item:-

https://www.amazon.c...2/dp/B01JP5XHBY

lists non-Yamaha bikes as well, for the Brembo part 78.B408.A2 (Cagiva, Ducati, Triumph).

The A2 part of the part code seems the significant section, since the 78.B408 appears for different bikes, with another suffix.

Working back from the TDM fitment part number for other disc suppliers may provide further lists of compatible bikes, and searching / Googling the part numbers. I saw Morini Scrambler / Gran Passo 1200 mentioned too.

This item specifies the disc dimensions:

https://www.ebay.com...AYAAOSwwvtb7Z7x

HTH

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:39 am

Bought a pair of Tarazon wavy discs from Amazon back in August £129.99
Not had any issues with them so far
Still on sale 3-4 day dispatch they estimate del - Wed 29 - Feb 5attachicon.gif 20190924_143447.jpg

The Cable ties are not a permanent fixture - was just to get me home. Cos I forgot to tighten the bolt oops

those discs being completely swept by the pads?

So my left front disc on the 4tx is warped so need to source a replacement

in this thread  I found a list of discs from other model's that will fit so anyone got any to add to it so I can widen my search and (hopefully) not get screwed on price

298mm Dia
TZR 250 (3MAI) 89
FZR400 RR (4DX) 92
FZ 400 96
FZR 400 (3TJ1/2/6/7)
FZR 400 (3ENZ) 89
SR 400 (BC-RH01J)
XJR 400 95-
FZR 600 83-93
FZR 600 R 94-95
FZS 600 FAZER 98-03
FZ 750 89-91
TDM 850 91-01
TRX 850 96-99
FJ1200 (3CV/3XW) 88-95

Or the other option is to buy a full set of ebay ones, anyone have good results with something like this set

JMC  is it deffo warped and not simply gummed up bobbins?

https://www.youtube....qoPqN2GBdw&t=6s

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:46 am

[quote name="wicklamulla" post="375294" timestamp="1579567163"]those discs being completely swept by the pads?

Not sure if that was due to bolt falling out etc or the new pads ,
refurbished calipers etc
But every thing seems fine now

#9 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:11 am

Been there, done that  :rolleyes:

Bjørge

#10 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:21 pm

JMC  is it deffo warped and not simply gummed up bobbins?

https://www.youtube....qoPqN2GBdw&t=6s

That does make sense so I will check tonight and report back, maybe I'll be lucky and find that's all the problem is  :lol:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:47 pm

Also check calibobs not partially seizing.. Is the time of year for that...no point in gettin expensive new discs Android immediately warping them.

If you can't get OEM discs...good luck with what you choose...some real plop out there.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:29 am

Checked the bobbins last night they don't have a hole through them so difficult to move but I tried cleaning with brake cleaner and it made no difference
See attached pic, now if I press on it the disc snaps back the other way and appears warped to the other side but won't center in the middle

Cant attach pic either on phone or pc for some reason

Link to pic https://ibb.co/fnDYcxP

Edited by JMC, 22 January 2020 - 09:39 am.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#13 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:06 am

Checked the bobbins last night they don't have a hole through them so difficult to move but I tried cleaning with brake cleaner and it made no difference
See attached pic, now if I press on it the disc snaps back the other way and appears warped to the other side but won't center in the middle

A bit hard for me to imagine what behaviour you're indicating (partly due to limited English knowledge), would need a video or series of pictures.

But as dapleb said, free moving pistons is a requirement - as sticky ones would require a 100.000% straight disc to avoid pulsating brakes. My disc bobbins (MkI/9'er) are not free, nor are discs 100% straight, but after servicing calipers brakes are dead smooth.

Edited by Bjørge, 22 January 2020 - 11:07 am.

Bjørge

#14 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:03 pm

I used a small G cramp so I could release them

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:16 pm

Cos I forgot to tighten the bolt oops

Loctite 243 will be your friend, together with a decent torque wrench. I put a spot of tippex on each bolt after torquing, that way it's easier to spot any you missed. Auld age yer know.  :oldgit:

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#16 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:19 pm

Update...so I ordered seals to do a full rebuild of both of the front calipers and about to pull the trigger on a used front disc for 35 gbp delivered, the seller says it's in good condition so will report back when job is done.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#17 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:40 pm

All parts arrived during the week and in the middle of the caliper rebuild, fingers crossed 😆

Hunter S. Thompson.

#18 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:24 pm

All done, thank you jesus :)
All seals replaced flushed out all old gunky brake fluid and brakes working nice, 2nd hand ebay disc was perfect, new pads as well
Also flushed out coolant and replaced, changed oil and filter, plugs, and gave her a good going over, a good weekends work even if though bleeding the front brakes after a complete overhaul is a bitch

Can't upload images for some reason   :unsure2:

Edited by JMC, 09 February 2020 - 04:27 pm.

Hunter S. Thompson.

#19 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:59 pm

200km or so done so far since rebuild of calipers and replacement disc and all's well, it's nice to have good brakes again :)

Attached File  calibobs.jpg   128.6KB   0 downloads

Hunter S. Thompson.

#20 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:15 pm

Good man JMC, thems lookin nice, did you have to resort to Del boys piston poppin method, they can get jammed in, least you can split the calipers on the originals which helps..dont forget ya bobbinses..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users