• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moodygaz

moodygaz

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:18 pm

While doing my shims (I had both cams out while taking the buckets out) I gets called in by the wife and my son goes in the garage mooching about and sees the rachet still attached to the crank and decides to give it an exploratory turn or two. After kicking his arse around the garage (he's thirteen and hasn't a clue!) I'm left with a dilemma, which TDC is going to be on the compression stroke so I can set the cams up again. Any ideas anyone?

#2 moodygaz

moodygaz

• 61 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:23 pm

Oh and while i'm about it I'm going to do a compression check while everythings out, what should the compression be?

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:31 pm

The only way to know for sure is to remove the spark plugs and stick a length of dowel or similar in each plug hole and you'll see which cylinder is at TDC when the crank mark lines up.  Make sure the length of the dowels is plenty long enough.

Compression for a mk2 is Standard = 175psi  with max = 182psi and min = 145psi

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 moodygaz

moodygaz

• 61 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:45 pm

The only way to know for sure is to remove the spark plugs and stick a length of dowel or similar in each plug hole and you'll see which cylinder is at TDC when the crank mark lines up.  Make sure the length of the dowels is plenty long enough.

Compression for a mk2 is Standard = 175psi  with max = 182psi and min = 145psi

but how will I know if its on the compression stroke or the exhaust?

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:00 pm

Hang on a min, I'm confusing myself here. 270 crank with wasted spark. Edit: correction, does not have wasted spark.

Right, if the crank is at TDC then the no.1 cyl must also be at TDC.  Compression and exhaust stroke are controlled via the camshafts.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 moodygaz

moodygaz

• 61 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:08 pm

Ahh light is dawning!!!     so as long as the crank is at 'T' and I set the cams lobes outwards, I'm sorted.   I forgot about the wasted spark!

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,091 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:56 am

studley is right so long as the 'T' is aligned and the in on the inlet cam and the ex on the exhaust cam line up level you are there.

Edited by leehenty, 18 June 2013 - 08:57 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users