#1 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:08 pm

Out of the blue a pristine 2013 650 Suzuki Vstrom has caught my attention and I'm thinking of buying it :hide:  The Glee has been on the top of my watch list for a while, as I think it's got a lot of the attributes of the 9er but with better MPG. I'm going in blind though as I've never ridden one, but their fan club is huge and they are highly rated bikes. This one comes with ABS, which I think sooner or later I'm going to need, as I'm getting less sharp as the years roll by. I think it's a bike that will suit my riding style, which is sedate in the main. It's a bike that's frequently used for long tours, so that ticks a priority box as well. I just hope it's as relaxed as the TDM. 

It's a bit of an impulse and it's come at a time when my 9er has been in my possession for 10 years just gone. It's been a fantastic motorcycle and has never let me down and when it has, it's been the usual culprits and no surprise. But it's now coming up to 42k and sooner or later the stator is going to fail and need rewiring and I have a lot of miles to do this year abroad, so it's a risk. It's a hard bike to let go of, which is why I've had it so long. Also, it comes with a great set of owners who're probably the most practical and helpful a crowd of bikers as you're likely to meet. So that will be a loss. But time it a keeps on moving and so...I'll know for sure on Tuesday! So if anyone wants a tired ol', cosmetically challenged, but, engine wise, well cared for 9er, mine may be up for sale soon probably for offers around 1.7k

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#2 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:46 pm

But why do you need to move on? I didn't and intend sticking around for a while.

Good luck with the new one.

#3 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:47 pm

had a loan of an mto7 on Monday , took it back on Tuesday and got my niner back , felt great getting back on the tdm  after stepping off the mt. the only thing I would take off that bike and put it on the tdm were the mirrors, I have had  the bike now since 07 and its done just on 70,000 and I cant see me changing it any time soon , my brother had a go on an sv and he said that it was the brakes that put him off buying it , maybe the abs will give you piece of mind :good:

#4 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:32 pm

Hi muddy!

It certainly is a great motorcycle.
The abs brake is an excellent addition and perhaps what attracts us most.

I think it's better to regret for what has been done, than to reminisce what was not done. Ideally you can try the bike in the city and on the road and then see if it really pays off. For sure what will notice immediately is the lowest torque. But is an engine that goes very well.
Substitutes and not like it, worth the experience. Nothing prevents you from returning to TDM.

The important thing is to have the freedom of choice. :clapping:

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#5 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:08 am

I've ridden my mates a couple of times, although impressed by it's performance as a 650 and the handling etc, I was glad too get back on the Tedium :badgerrock: The V-strom is like a lot of bikes of that type, it's built to a price and has budget suspension that will need replacing at some point, just as your TDM will have! so why not spend a few hundred on the Tedium rather a few thousand on a trade in, and keep it going a bit longer until a worthy replacement comes along! S/H Tracers at respectable money will be in abundance within a couple of years, and most of the foibles will be sorted by then as well :good:

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#6 PassTheBuck

PassTheBuck

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:50 am

Buy a new stator and keep the TDM, simples :good:

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:02 am

It's futile to resist the mid-life crisis, may as well accept your fate and go buy the V-Strom.  :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:28 am

Oh tough choice Muddy.....i think my biggest issue (not that it matters) is the downsize to a 650, i suppose if i had a couple of years of a bike and then got the 650, then it would'nt matter a jot, but to convert right at once would take some adjusting, mind i seem to recall you hankering after a V-strom for awhile  :)  shoulda,woulda,coulda  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 Oil patch

Oil patch

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:07 am

The 650 reportedly lacks torque which you'll miss every time you pull away. i agree with PassThe Buck, have the stator rewound as a precaution against wear and tear. It's preventative maintenance rather than breakdown maintenance, Ask the rewinders to report the condition of the origonal windings and insulation to you.

#10 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:41 am

I'm wavering :lol: It's blowing a gale here and my bike's outside as always, with cover bulging and letting rain in. I don't always wash it down after a ride in winter, it doesn't get as much polishing as it needs, but still is pretty much in good shape. Of course I'm thinking of the Suzuki build quality and what the point would be of having a nearly new bike end up as a rust pot in a year or two, when my bike will probably go on and on. 

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:18 pm

I'm wavering :lol: It's blowing a gale here and my bike's outside as always, with cover bulging and letting rain in. I don't always wash it down after a ride in winter, it doesn't get as much polishing as it needs, but still is pretty much in good shape. Of course I'm thinking of the Suzuki build quality and what the point would be of having a nearly new bike end up as a rust pot in a year or two, when my bike will probably go on and on. 

:rotflmmfao: well you did'nt take much persuading  :good: or !!!!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:19 pm

I've cancelled the viewing on Tuesday. Good job I posted here first, thanks for the wise words. The grass is always greener, until it isn't. In ten years I've only racked up 33k on top of the 8k it had when I bought it. So here's to the next 33k, let's see what's about in 10 years, if Uncle Sam hasn't completely lost the plot and got us all nuked by then.

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:25 pm

Better the dablik you know  :good:

#14 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:46 pm

I bet if you had tried the V Strom you would have bought it. Been on two of them & my only gripe was the seat height. Couldn't get both feet on the floor.

What a peach of an engine though. It was soo smooth compared to my ER6 that I kept hitting the rev limiter at first.

#15 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:52 pm

I fear you may be in the same boat as me.

I have hankered after a Blackbird for a couple of years. Checking them out every now & again.

Just taken the plunge & collected mine yesterday, time will tell if I've made the right decision.

If not, I can always get another TDM.

But at least I'll have given it a go, so will have no regrets when I finally hang up the leathers. 

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#16 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:54 pm

The BIRD is an awsome bike and Hypersports performance will alway's put a smile on yer face! But I owned one and some on here still have them, I fell out of love with mine due to the weight, slow steering and it's apetite for rear tyres and fuel when used in anger..........Now I'm content with the Tedium for all my needs :good:

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#17 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:43 pm

I've never even ridden a sportsbike, let alone a super sports. I've always known they're not my thing. The fastest bike I've ridden was the Tracer, which was fun, but didn't do it for me. There's loads of bikes I'd love to try though. I suppose we're all looking for the perfect ride. You'd think somebody would set up a business with all the huge stock of different bikes that you could ride over the course of a weekend. A sort retreat for bikers. Now I'd sign up for that.

#18 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:54 pm

Rumours are rife (talk in the Yamaha dealerships) that at the end of the year the MT 07 will be given the adventure bike makeover. I hope so. 20 litre tank and better thought out screen than the Tracer please Mr Yamaha. 

That was on Adv from last year and the MT 07 turned out to be the Tracer. Got my hopes up :sorry:

Edited by muddy, 30 March 2015 - 01:09 pm.

#19 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:04 pm

Stick with tried and tested. You know the bike and it will last some have 100k on here.

Besides you just did the shims at fettle day last year.... or rather I did with advice being given from all sides.  :)

http://www.carpe-tdm...=30275&p=302597

Edited by leehenty, 30 March 2015 - 06:12 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#20 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:38 pm

Nice to have you back Lee

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suzuki DL650, Vstrom, Glee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users