9 replies to this topic

#1 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:23 pm

Looking to buy a new 3/8" ratchet which should I buy.
A fixed head, flex head, or swivel head, extending etc.etc.etc
Anybody got any good advice.
Thanks

#2 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:03 pm

By the time you pay for an individual ratchet you might as well have the benefit of some sharp new sockets as well and as for recommendations, for the money I rate Halfords ratchets! I have one 3/8 drive 27 years old and still in use, but only part time now, but for 23 years full time! the direction lever copped it in the early years, and was replaced with a square nut from a spout bolt with a groove filed in it and still working well today :good: But for the bike I find 1/4 drive used more, and my favourite is a Bahco set!

http://www.halfords....-socket-set-3-8

http://www.amazon.co...tchet set bahco

Hang on until the Crimbo Hols and new year and Halfords have some cracking deals in the sales!!!! :badgerrock:

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#3 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:33 pm

By the time you pay for an individual ratchet you might as well have the benefit of some sharp new sockets as well and as for recommendations, for the money I rate Halfords ratchets! I have one 3/8 drive 27 years old and still in use, but only part time now, but for 23 years full time! the direction lever copped it in the early years, and was replaced with a square nut from a spout bolt with a groove filed in it and still working well today :good: But for the bike I find 1/4 drive used more, and my favourite is a Bahco set!
http://www.halfords....-socket-set-3-8

http://www.amazon.co...tchet set bahco

Hang on until the Crimbo Hols and new year and Halfords have some cracking deals in the sales!!!! :badgerrock:

p

Thanks for that. I have recently bought a new set of sockets from Halfords and my deep sockets aren't that old, but may consider a 1/4 set in the sales.

#4 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:37 pm

http://www.sealey.co...productid=13523

The best ratchet handle you will get. Does both jobs as regular ratchet or speed wrench. Around £35 if you shop around.

Edited by leehenty, 24 November 2015 - 11:39 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#5 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:48 pm

+1 on the Halfords professional ratchet. 3/8 is most use with 1/4 for smaller jobs. Get a 1/2 set with a long bar for breaking tight bolts loose. Oh and a set of 1/2 to 3/8 and 3/8 to 1/4 adapters are useful

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:58 am

The Halfords stuff is pretty good, mainly because of the lifetime warranty.  The ratchet failed on my 1/4" and I just took it in the to the shop and they swapped it straight away. 

http://www.sealey.co...productid=13523

The best ratchet handle you will get. Does both jobs as regular ratchet or speed wrench. Around £35 if you shop around.

Is it wrong to have ratchet envy?

Edited by ChrisG, 26 November 2015 - 07:58 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:42 am

Facom. Very expensive but you will only buy one once.

#8 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:31 pm

Just ordered a Facom J360PB the same as the Sealy but with quick release and direction change £23 new off eBay.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:18 pm

There was one rat sheet that converted very small up and doon movements into lefty/righty.  Never been able to find linky dink again.  Was abooot $93 but for reaching the front bank of a V6 in a mid enjuned car .....or plug 'oles on modern thilly boikes it was temptin.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:52 pm

The Halfords stuff is pretty good, mainly because of the lifetime warranty.  The ratchet failed on my 1/4" and I just took it in the to the shop and they swapped it straight away. 

Is it wrong to have ratchet envy?

Your lucky, when my3/8 failed I was told the moving parts i.e. ratchets aren't covered by the lifetime warranty. I also had them query a broken torx head socket that broke when I was stripping out a cyl head on a Citroen Xantia.

I was basically accused of using it on an air gun.

Perhaps I just have a crap Halfrauds near me.

Edited by RolfieB, 26 November 2015 - 06:53 pm.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users