29 replies to this topic

#1 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:51 pm

Anyone got a Tiger they can review for me.
I took the TDM out yesterday and fell out with the ride a little. Suspension too hard on the rough roads and the engine a little too rough but working perfectly.
I am more used to multi cylinders over the years and would like another. I know people will be amazed myself included as I have always liked the bike.

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:15 pm

One of the things a few Tiger 800 owner's have complained about is the lack of adjustment in the suspension.  Mark (Hartsideman on here occasionally), ended up fitting a complete set of aftermarket suspension on his.

Can't do anything about the engine of course but have you tried setting up the suspension differently on your TDM, there's a post in the knowledgebase somewhere with some tips on setting adjusting it.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:20 pm

One of the things a few Tiger 800 owner's have complained about is the lack of adjustment in the suspension.  Mark (Hartsideman on here occasionally), ended up fitting a complete set of aftermarket suspension on his.

Can't do anything about the engine of course but have you tried setting up the suspension differently on your TDM, there's a post in the knowledgebase somewhere with some tips on setting adjusting it.

I like my suspension quite supple which is how it's set. I have now softened it up even more but not road tested it yet.

#4 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:41 pm

I have one & cant really fault it other than it needs the shim service at 12000 miles.

I will get this one done at the dealer but if I still have it at 24K I will buy a thing called a "Dealer Tool" ( for resetting the service indicator & balancing the throttle bodies) for £60 & work on it myself.

They like to be revved so you may miss the low down stomp of the TDM.

Fuelling is faultless & there is lots of info on the 2 trips.

Its comfy. Mine is on the lowest seat height & I get both feet on the floor. I'm 5' 7".

The build quality is the best of any bike I have had. Even the electrical block connectors have been treated with some sort of grease from the factory.

All I can say is try one & take it for a really good test. You might find it characterless. Mine has the Fuel exhaust on which gives out a lovely howl.

Let me know what you decide.

Oh & go on the Tiger 800 forum & do a bit of research :good:

#5 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:21 pm

Been on the tiger forum but cant find much info, not as good as this one.

When you say it needs revving thats probably a good thing for me as I tend not to rev the TDM enough as its a twin.

I take it yours is a later one from some of the points you mentioned. I am looking at not spending too much and maybe buying something like a 12 plate.

I will keep my TDM for the time being at least. I have read many times that previous owners have regretted selling theirs.

If I do sell mine someone will get the buy of their lives I have spent loads on it "shh" don't tell the wife. She doesn't even know yet that I am thinking of a new one.

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:14 pm

I know someone who went down from a 1050 to an 800 and completely regretted it.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:11 pm

My mate has a 1050 likes it but isn't over the moon so bought a Tuono as well and hit a car last week, broke his arm and dislocated his wrist. Nothing to do with this thread but I had to tell someone.  :lol:

#8 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:38 pm

Anyone got a Tiger they can review for me.
I took the TDM out yesterday and fell out with the ride a little. Suspension too hard on the rough roads and the engine a little too rough but working perfectly.
I am more used to multi cylinders over the years and would like another. I know people will be amazed myself included as I have always liked the bike.

Go have a lie down................you'll get over it. :rotflmmfao:

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#9 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:01 am

Do it! Can I have your 850? :)
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#10 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:36 pm

Do it! Can I have your 850? :)

Attached File  animated-vulture-image-0019.gif   17.6KB   0 downloads

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#11 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:40 pm

You gotta try one & make your own appraisal.

Ten years ago I bought a 900 Monster based on the rave reviews of the press & it was dreadful.

The best day was when I waved goodbye to it & rode SWMBO's ER6 home.

Remember though that Triumph know the British winter better than the others and take this into account in the build.

Having said all that the 07 Tracer looks interesting :wub:

Edited by TinTin, 22 April 2016 - 02:07 pm.

#12 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:25 pm

As I get older my bikes get smaller and lighter.
Winters don't bother me as I don't ride in them anymore.
As you say the 700 tracer does look a good prospect.

Edited by Gasman, 22 April 2016 - 05:27 pm.

#13 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:23 pm

I saved and saved for a Tiger 1050, never had a ride but loved the look and reports from some local owners.
Managed to have a test ride on the 1050 sport and didn't get on with it at all. Couldn't get a ride on the one I wanted no local dealers had a demo, thoroughly pissed off I let the local yamaha dealer talk me into a ride on the S10 and ordered one. 

Now I'm seeing lots of tigers for sale, low mileage, luggage etc. My point being, go and ride one for yourself or that itch will keep coming back at you like the tax man or an untreated rash.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#14 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:50 pm

I am more used to multi cylinders over the years and would like another.

Been thinking over your above statement Gasman & I can draw parallels with my past bike history ie.

FZS 600 Fazer

Bulldog(big twin)

Fz6 Fazer

Bulldog

Fz8 Fazer

Tdm

Fz8

If I have a screamer I miss the twin & vice versa. I think too could be in that same frame of mind.

In a perfect world I would have the Tiger + a Niner. :cloud9:

Watch this space.

( I still have SWMBO.s ER6f but even though its a twin its very rev happy as well :blink: )

#15 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:12 pm

[quote name="TinTin" post="332259" timestamp="1461430200"]Been thinking over your above statement Gasman & I can draw parallels with my past bike history ie.
If I have a screamer I miss the twin & vice versa. I think too could be in that same frame of mind.
In a perfect world I would have the Tiger + a Niner. :cloud9:
Watch this space.

I think no matter what I buy I'll keep my 850 I've done that much to it I couldn't bear to to part with it.

#16 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:55 am

A very wise decision. Now go get some Tiggers ridden :good:

#17 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:18 pm

I put a deposit on a tiger today. I hope I don't regret it.

#18 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:15 am

I put a deposit on a tiger today. I hope I don't regret it.

Not if old faithful is still in the shed. I've ridden an F800 and the tigger, both impressed, lovely bikes. But. Not to the point of giving away my TDM for. It's just far to engaging, and fun, to sell for peanuts.

I'm with you on the older and smaller, too. The "little" Tracer has me quite excited.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#19 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:12 am

I take my Triumph to an independent mechanic in Lincoln who is well know and recommended on the Triumph scene - he is a bit of a doom and gloom merchant and will happily list the possible problems with all the current and previous (hinckley) models (he calls the Explorer the "Exploder"). He begrudgingly said the 800 was a good machine with very few problems, which if you know him is praise indeed!

My mate has a Tiger Sport which he really likes but was very taken by the Tiger 800 on a recent test ride - enough to look into the part ex for his which scuppered the deal.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#20 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:27 am

Not if old faithful is still in the shed. I've ridden an F800 and the tigger, both impressed, lovely bikes. But. Not to the point of giving away my TDM for. It's just far to engaging, and fun, to sell for peanuts.

I'm with you on the older and smaller, too. The "little" Tracer has me quite excited.

My 850 is tucked up in the garage for some time yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users