• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:14 pm

My TDM is fully fettled and serviced and just sitting in the garage waiting for slightly better weather.....

So I'm idly trawling through the site and came across some articles about TDM's and sidecars. Interesting, but what I would really like to hear about is any experiences of a TDM solo with an Earles-type front fork.

At one point I had the pleasure of covering some big mileages on a BMW R69S with Earles front forks, and ever since then I've taken a real scunner to telescopic pogo-stick forks.

I know, I know, motorcyclists are total Luddites/Fashionistas/Penny-pinching sods....  but surely, out there, someone must have even thought about heresy ?

#2 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:16 pm

Jeez, ye'll be fitting drum brakes and a magneto next  :lol:  :hide:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#3 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:31 pm

Jeez, ye'll be fitting drum brakes and a magneto next  :lol:  :hide:

Nah, that's for antiques.  I'm just not convinced that telescopic forks are the best we can do....

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:45 pm

Nah, that's for antiques.  I'm just not convinced that telescopic forks are the best we can do....

I agree - but unfortunately the general public won't be convinced. Hossack, Fior, Foale et al spring to mind when conventional nonsense goes out the window..............

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:59 am

aren't their inherent advantages in weight transfer with a set of conventional forks? 

I had a 2010 1200GS and it took me a long time to get used to the telelever fork. it made the front end feel somewhat disconnected.

I would love to try a bike on track with one of those funny front ends. I can think of some corners where they would have a clear advantage

#6 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:21 am

I agree - but unfortunately the general public won't be convinced. Hossack, Fior, Foale et al spring to mind when conventional nonsense goes out the window..............

I suppose we've got to give credit to BMW for at least making an attempt to change the way we perceive front suspension....  "prophets in the wilderness !"

#7 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:35 pm

I suppose we've got to give credit to BMW for at least making an attempt to change the way we perceive front suspension....  "prophets in the wilderness !"

Well, BMW appropriated the idea from a British gentleman (whose name escapes me) but they did take theory and put it into production. I had an R1100GS which I rode for many years and thousands of miles and I loved the telelever front suspension - it separates braking and braking forces (I have no idea how) and reduces dive dramatically. Those big BMs handle way more nimbly than you think they should! No experience of Earles forks other than a brief ride on a Greeves scrambler many, many moons ago - I cant remember anything about it now, apart from falling off :)

Didnt Yamaha make a hub-centre steering bike in the 90s? The GTS1000?

Edited by Jim, 17 January 2019 - 12:36 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:02 pm

Norman Hossack was the man https://www.hossack-design.com/and BMW owes it's Telelever to him

#9 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:55 pm

Well, BMW appropriated the idea from a British gentleman (whose name escapes me) but they did take theory and put it into production. I had an R1100GS which I rode for many years and thousands of miles and I loved the telelever front suspension - it separates braking and braking forces (I have no idea how) and reduces dive dramatically. Those big BMs handle way more nimbly than you think they should! No experience of Earles forks other than a brief ride on a Greeves scrambler many, many moons ago - I cant remember anything about it now, apart from falling off :)

Didnt Yamaha make a hub-centre steering bike in the 90s? The GTS1000?

Norman Hossack was the man https://www.hossack-design.com/and BMW owes it's Telelever to him

That's right, Norman Hossack designed the Telelever front suspension.  And back in 1951 , Ernest  Earles patented his front forks which BMW adopted across the range from 1955.  I've a feeling neither Mr Hossack nor Mr Earles became millionaires ….. 

There's a very interesting, but old, article by Tony Foale design which mentions the developments done by Bimota, Yamaha etc.  They all look seriously interesting to me but I can understand that " The Market" won't go for it just now.  Designing, building and marketing a nice lightweight, Euro 5 compliant motorcycle with an inspired front suspension would probably double the price... even for the Chinese and Indians.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users