has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:49 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*** a plethora of information ***

Thanks for the great tips, Pict!
We were indeed already thinking about making the tour of the Benderloch peninsula. Coming from Loch Lomond up to loch Awe, then along the south side and back up towards Loch Craignish, along the A816 through Oban towards Fort William. And perhaps even a quick excursion on the Kintyre peninsula as well while we're at it dry.gif
Does that sound like a good idea?

The south side of the river Dee was already planned in mapsource as well cool.gif So we may have a stop at the Lochnagar distillery.

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me (and I'm sure all the September Scotland Meet devotees will agree) the A87 (Road to the Isles), just south of Loch Ness, to Kyleakin has to be one of the best in the country for scenery, surface, flowing corners and an absence of speed cameras You'll also get a cup of coffee but a poor selection of biscuits at Nanooks house en route................

We were thinking more of going further north after coming from Skye towards loch Maree and perhaps even Gruinard Bay, then towards Garve, over Muir of Ord untill Inverness and to Fort Augustus from there. That would mean we miss the A87 unsure.gif
What in your opinion will be the best?

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give me a shout when you're in Edinburgh dK - I'l make sure I'm out! tongue.gif (only joking!)

No Belgian chocolates for you then tongue.gif

QUOTE(Buzz @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at your plan so far my only comment would be Nottingham and Sherwood forest may be a bit disappointing. There are some good roads in the area yahoo.gif but the thought of you making a diversion from your route for the Forest and Nottingham makes me think you may spend your time on better things (even if the missus wub.gif wants to go there). Your planned route is very ambitious as well considering the time you say you have available. Just the leg from Folkstone to Stonehenge and Avebury will take the best part of a day with stops for photos, food and accounting for the traffic ranting.gif in that part of UK.

Thanks Buzz. The misses and me had given up on the Southeast, Stonehenge, Avebury, Nottingham and Sherwood after cupasoop's suggestion to just take the ferry to Hull and start from there. So we'll have to come back for Robin Hood some other time wink.gif

BTW:
- is it worth it to go much further north than Gruinard Bay (Ullapool has already been suggested)?
- what's the plod like that side of the island? Do we need to worry about a lot of speed camera's?

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow im getting "excited" reading this !!!

You're always welcome to join us dry.gif
Mind you I do ride a 9'er rotflmmfao.gif
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#22 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:58 am

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Fri 29th Dec 2006, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From Loch Lomond towards Loch Awe, and along the south side towards the coast. ........... perhaps a visit to Eilean Donan Castle. Back north, across to Applecross and with a tour along the coast to Kinlochwe. Most likely a small detour to Loch Maree for some photo opportunities.

Loch Lomond to Loch Awe (A83 from Tarbet?) would miss out some of the other stuff,l but it's a choice. Southside road down Loch Awe would be nice in May. Given time, the north-side road down the Loch is interestingly twisty to drive, with some steep drops into the loch, though much tree-lined. Small hotel at Ford (south end of Loche Awe) is friendly to my recollection and shouldn't cost too much. Hotel at Ardfern (B8002 off the A816 to Oban) used to have good bunkhouse accommodation, atmosphere and food, but I think the latter has taken over via the Egon Ronay set, and the bunkhouse is no more. Kilmelford may still have accommodation. (Others can confirm all this?). Oban is Klondyke City. Coast road north is good - see earlier posting.

Don't hold out too much hope for Eilean Donan castle (restored) - worth a stop for a picture for next year's calendar and move on?

Applecross, Torridon etc. are stars. No detour from Kinlochewe to Loch Maree - suggest you run up to Gairloch or Ullapool and enjoy the views on the way up and back.

Dandy's comments are true too, and there are chunks we haven't mentioned. In the end you have too much choice!!

Edited by Pict, 30 December 2006 - 12:02 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#23 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:42 pm

some of my favourite roads are A82, A85 (the green wellie stop is a fav bike stop at Tyndrum), A828, A816, A819,
A830 to Mallaig is a great road but a lot of it is single track and if you get stuck behind a caravan or a lorry it can be painfully slow. When I had my first TDM (1996) I done a trip to Skye for a few days then on to Inverness we went on via the ferry at Mallaig then left via the bridge we took the A87 on to the A887. Stayed at this B&B on skye.

If your on the A85 at loch Awe try to see the power station they do a guided tour but I cant tell you when it is open.
There are some good roads down in Dumfries A713is one of them that I can remember A75 has a heavy police presence.
Thats all I can think of.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#24 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:12 pm

basically get to Scotland and ferget the rest of the UK, Robin Hood an all !!!!!!!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#25 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:24 pm

Spoild for choice again! Tam's right - at the expense of losing the A87, the road to Mallaig is a beauty, and the pure white sand beaches and blue sea around Morar are spectacular (almost Caribbean if the water was warm). Ferry to Armadale on Skye, then off the island again via the bridge and on northward up the A896, with a short detour south first, to see Eilean Donan if you wish.

From here in exile, I can't comment on mobile plod behaviour in the Northwest these days, but in my younger days they used to come over from their base in Inverness only occasionally, and with a week's notice on the "grapevine" most of the bikes in the countryside (being untaxed and uninsured) used to disappear behind hedges etc. in good time. smile.gif Others had better advise on this.

At this rate, maybe I'll time a few days break and head north myself.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#26 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:28 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spoild for choice again! Tam's right - at the expense of losing the A87, the road to Mallaig is a beauty, and the pure white sand beaches and blue sea around Morar are spectacular (almost Caribbean if the water was warm). Ferry to Armadale on Skye, then off the island again via the bridge and on northward up the A896, with a short detour south first, to see Eilean Donan if you wish.

From here in exile, I can't comment on mobile plod behaviour in the Northwest these days, but in my younger days they used to come over from their base in Inverness only occasionally, and with a week's notice on the "grapevine" most of the bikes in the countryside (being untaxed and uninsured) used to disappear behind hedges etc. in good time. smile.gif Others had better advise on this.At this rate, maybe I'll time a few days break and head north myself.

ya but that was way back when the plod cars had a person walking ahead of them waving a warning flag laugh.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#27 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:14 pm

Not so far wrong - my mate's mum near Shieldaig by Loch Torridon only got electricity about 1976 smile.gif tongue.gif

#28 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:02 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not so far wrong - my mate's mum near Shieldaig by Loch Torridon only got electricity about 1976 smile.gif tongue.gif

That would save the MILF on buying batteries....................

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#29 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:11 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.........perhaps even a quick excursion on the Kintyre peninsula as well while we're at it .......

.......coming from Skye towards loch Maree and perhaps even Gruinard Bay, then towards Garve, over Muir of Ord untill Inverness.......

Sorry - missed these points.

1) Kintyre could be nice if you really have time, but you need to think of the other (better?) options further north, given your schedule.

2) On further thoughts it would be enough, perhaps, to follow the A832 loop round by Gruinard then head back southeast on the A835 without pushing all the way to Ullapool. (The country north of Ullapool is very different but perhaps you can visit another time) The scenery from "Destitution Road" is great, especially looking west from Dundonnell (smoked salmon anyone?), and it's relatively fast road all the way to Garve etc. as you've described. There is a gorge and waterfall at Braemore junction if you can spare a few minutes. Oh, and don't forget to visit Inverewe Gardens for the missus.

General guide site may be useful. And another one with some piccies.

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would save the MILF on buying batteries....................

rotflmmfao.gif Expect the pleasure of a knock on yer door - she's a big widow-wumman, with sheep-shearing arms and still going strong at 82, so ye're on yer own, son!! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pict, 31 December 2006 - 08:52 am.

#30 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:29 pm

Thanks for all the tips, fellas. You guys are spoiling me dry.gif

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I had my first TDM (1996) I done a trip to Skye for a few days then on to Inverness we went on via the ferry at Mallaig then left via the bridge we took the A87 on to the A887. Stayed at this B&B on skye.

Thanks Tam, we already heard good things of that B&B so that's definitely an option for spending the night. good.gif
We'll also be leaving Skye via the bridge but we won't be going straight to Inverness from there.

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Kintyre could be nice if you really have time, but you need to think of the other (better?) options further north, given your schedule.

Sounds sensible. We'll be leaving Kintyre for the case where we simply have time to kill laugh.gif
That would indeed allow us to travel further North.

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2) On further thoughts it would be enough, perhaps, to follow the A832 loop round by Gruinard then head back southeast on the A835 without pushing all the way to Ullapool. (The country north of Ullapool is very different but perhaps you can visit another time) The scenery from "Destitution Road" is great, especially looking west from Dundonnell (smoked salmon anyone?), and it's relatively fast road all the way to Garve etc. as you've described. There is a gorge and waterfall at Braemore junction if you can spare a few minutes. Oh, and don't forget to visit Inverewe Gardens for the missus.

The missus is only interested in gardens and woods if they are inhabited by goodlooking outlaws in tights running around with a bow and arrow rolleyes.gif
But if we were to give up on kintyre and go up to Ullapool we could probably take the A387 loop towards Dornoch Firth, then back south in Bonar Bridge via the A836 towards the A9 and on to Muir of Ord and Beauly. That way we wouldn't pass through the Kinlochwe heights and we wouldn't take the A835 towards Garve, but it would take us further up north. How does that sound?
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#31 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:01 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a gorge and waterfall at Braemore junction if you can spare a few minutes. Oh, and don't forget to visit Inverewe Gardens for the missus.

Corrieshalloch gorge. I paid it a visit last month. Watch the bridge that crosses it, it bounces as you walk and it makes you feel sick puke.gif

#32 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:10 pm

BTW the missus and I have decided that it would probably be better to do thi s tour counterclockwise, so going North along the east coast and coming back down on the west side (getting the boring part over with asap and ending in beauty with the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales wink.gif )

Tinckering in MapSource today taught me that this tour would be approximately 3100km, which in 12 days should be like a walk in the park for us laugh.gif .

The plan so far looks more or less like this:
From Hull via B-roads straight north to the North York Moors, the road from Pickering to Whitby. Then the A171 to Middlesbrough and the A19 towards Gateshead for some piccies of the Angel of the North. West to Consett (to avoid Newcastle itself) and over the A68 through Northumberland National Park, via Selkirk and Peebles to Edinburgh. From there to Montrose using mainly coastal roads.
B-roads up to Strachan and via the B976 to Balmoral and back to Bridge of Gairn on the other side of the river Dee. North on the A939, Southwest on the A95 and A9 staying on the south bank of the river Spey. Then at Loch Lochy toward the North along Loch Ness (East or West side ???) to Inverness. Via the 862 over Muir of Ord and Dingwall to the A9 and B-roads from Alness to Bonar Bridge.
The A837 then takes us across to the west coast down to Ullapool and braeburn wink.gif continuing along the A832 over Gairloch to Kinlochwe and along the coast to Applecross (with maybe even a quick "there andback again at Torridon") across to Skye at kyle and after a tour there the ferry to Mallaig and on to Fort William.

Further to the south along the coast possible with a tour around Kinlochleven (worth it ???). Al the way down to the southern most tip of Loch Awe and along the North bank, then south again (A819 and A83) towards Loch Lomond. South along the coast to Ayr for a small detour through Galloway Forest and then to Dumfries.

Straight east along Hadrian's Wall to Hexham and back west to Penrith and some or the nice green bordered roads on the Michelin map in the Lake District. After that, from Kendal through the Dales to Skipton, Harrogate, York and Hull.

Sounds great doesn't it banana.gif
If you guys approve all that is left for us is to officially accept this plan and totally ignore it while we're actually up there rotflmmfao.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#33 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:32 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
South along the coast to Ayr for a small detour through Galloway Forest and then to Dumfries.

Dont take the A76 to Dumfries. Nice bike road but packed with large trucks and hidden cops (dont ask how i know about the hidden cops) ranting.gif Take the A713 to New Galloway then over to Dumfries, or all the way done to Castle Douglas and then A75 to Dumfries. The A713 is a cracking bit of road with very little traffic good.gif (although packed with bikes on a sunday)

#34 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:39 pm

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont take the A76 to Dumfries. Nice bike road but packed with large trucks and hidden cops (dont ask how i know about the hidden cops) ranting.gif

Yep I can vouch that, I nearly got busted the other week whilst out in my works van about 3 mile from thornhill, saved by my snopper (wasn't going too much over 60)
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#35 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:09 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 31st Dec 2006, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
basically get to Scotland and ferget the rest of the UK, Robin Hood an all !!!!!!!

That's my theory at the moment.

Bringing the sidecar is out now we're still coming though. We finally found a hirecar that will cost us lots less without the shipping/insurance bothers, leaves more $$ for accom as well.

Watching this thread with interest.

Al

Edited by AL-58, 31 December 2006 - 05:10 am.

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#36 Edman

Edman

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:12 am

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then back south in Bonar Bridge via the .........

That's where you should find Dandy .... sitting proud on his 900...tongue.gif

#37 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:24 am

QUOTE(AL-58 @ Sun 31st Dec 2006, 04:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We finally found a hirecar ....... for accom as well.

For a moment I read "sidecar" and thought Aussie export? blink.gif - don't for God's sake take that rig to Applecross via the "Bealach nam Bo" hairpins! laugh.gif

Edited by Pict, 31 December 2006 - 08:48 am.

#38 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:41 am

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you guys approve all that is left for us is to officially accept this plan and totally ignore it while we're actually up there rotflmmfao.gif

The country is divided into blocks of quite different character (and accents - be prepared!). Metaphorically, you now have a box of "soul food" to choose from - how and what you take and consume depends on your hunger, your tastes and your experience of the trip as you go. i.e. it's back to your original principle of not planning too much ahead? Weather can be very fickle - I've even met fairly heavy snow in July, although up in the Cairngorms! Pack for wet weather but be prepared for relatively warm. Here's wishing that most of all you have clear skies. Take plenty of film/digital storage, and video for panoramas if you can smile.gif And mind the fuelling in the West and North - don't go empty on a big loop in the craggy bits at night or on a Sunday! (The latter especially on Skye)

A couple of further points:

If for any reason you decide to abandon much of the East of Scotland this time, or for another trip, a diagonal route south (or reverse) would use the A93 south from Deeside via Braemar, cutting across on the B950 to Kirkmichael, then A924 to Pitlochry, A9 south to Ballinluig and A827 along the River and Loch Tay, A85/A84 to Kilmahog and A821/A81 towards Glasgow. The A9-A84 part can be touristy in high summer though. Comments from Dandy or others?

Coming up from England I prefer the A697 over the AA68 - good views and fewer speed cameras - but what do you locals feel?

Edited by Pict, 31 December 2006 - 09:13 am.

#39 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:17 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sat 30th Dec 2006, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mission accomplished! good.gif yahoo.gif

#40 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:11 am

QUOTE(Edman @ Sun 31st Dec 2006, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's where you should find Dandy .... sitting proud on his 900...tongue.gif

Took me a few attempts to get that one Ed........phonetics eh????

Maybe see you at the RTT next year??

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users