89 replies to this topic

#21 Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:45 am

There were 44 out of 63 coming back on the Santander ferry last month..

Oh how I laughed at the fear and wobblyness (made up word) that was displayed as they navigated an 'on' ramp onto the boat..They have too much money and not enough skill, trying to live the escapism dream....Sorry guys you couldn't escape out of Tesco's on our Messerschmits....Time to go and buy a Volvo and a caravan........

#22 Spongey

Spongey

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:49 am

Mine is the 1150GS and I prefer it to the 1200; That felt much more like a revy Jap job. A lot of the panniers fitted to GS machines are not QD and that is why they tend to be left on. If you are not in a hurry, why filter? I always filter if there is a "jam" and the bigger problem with the GS is white van man's mirrors are shoulder height, if the bars go through so do the panniers. It seems to me that some filter just because they can. Why add risk if it is not necessary? I do not include "surfing" in this because that is just fun! The front end does come as a shock to a new rider but when you get used to the feel; just great! Try one on really bumpy, poorly surfaced back roads and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

#23 SteveOne

SteveOne

sixtyniner

• 69 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:09 am

Yes, the GS crowd annoy me - they're just so loved-up; with their bikes, with each other and all the bits of toura-tech (?) kit they've spent a fortune on. Touring with some earlier this month, the TDM did everything the GSs did - except blow light bulbs and give perturbing signals on its display. But all this just gave the GS crowd something to chat about all evening.
The Tom-Tom Rider SatNav *mount* on one GS cost more than my top-box and mounting bracket !

I have no doubt that the bike is seriously good at touring - and has a very impressive set of extras available
I would certainly look at buying one, if I didn't have the TDM.

#24 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:10 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one of the guys at work is on his 3rd GS, the electrics keep going and they cant fix them so replace the bike under warranty

Tony you are joking, left ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#25 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:12 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tony you are joking, left ??

nope, both failures happened within days of buying the bike new

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#26 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:01 pm

I took the 1150 for a test ride when they first came out and liked it, but couldn't afford it. For a long time I did want one but I must admit I have gone off them due to the fashionableness of them, which is quite worrying as it means I'm being influenced by what other people are buying not by how good it is blink.gif Having Spongey's 1150 fillimg my mirrors the other day reminded me how good a bike they are. As for the price in a year or two a fair few of the Ewan/Charlie wannabies will have moved on to the next fashion accessory and there'll be loads of them available second hand.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#27 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:03 pm

in London this years summer biker must have....

big BM with EVERYTHING on it

99% time ridden by biggest bunch of knuts to ever swing a leg over a tractor

however....

oh what joy, what sport to filter past said summertime knut wub.gif

as then sit back and enjoy the show as the twat tries to remove himself from the gene pool via a series of manouvres that even crack Kamakaze pilots woulda blanched at at Pearl Harbour....

all so he can get back in front of you by a car or two....

hang back a bit, and then roll past him as he jams himself between two cars at the next lights

enjoy his fuming visage in your mirror, and delight as the show starts again as the lights change

boy look at him GO!!!!!! dry.gif

Wucking fankers they are

Me, go BM baiting on porpoise rolleyes.gif never....

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#28 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:07 pm

Mind you though, if you are in the market for a shaft driven "pseudo go anywhere" type of bike, then lets face it, what else is there to buy?

I maybe swapping the Strom this year, and the 1150/1200 GS are very near the top of the shopping list*, but only because I want/prefer/desire a shaft drive this time.

*tis a short list, about 2 at the moment! laugh.gif

RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#29 RevvinKevin

RevvinKevin

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 53 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:38 pm

Thing is, are GS owners any different from the Harley and clone riders or the Kawzukaha gpxyzfrr mega zillion rider? They bought a life style. How many Gixxers or 'Blades are run anywhere near their full potential? None. But the power rangers still buy them because they dream of being the next Rossi.
Harley/clone riders dream of long straight Arizona roads just plugging along, but very few will get further than the local cafe where they stand and chat about how shiny it is and how one day they are going to do "that long trip".

At least GSs can't be ignored. They're huge................and very visible. We should thank them for making cagers aware of bikes.
What if they bought into a lifestyle they'll never have? Let them dream. At least they are out there riding.

Edited by RevvinKevin, 30 June 2008 - 07:39 pm.

Honda SS50(4 speed), Honda CB 125S, Honda CB550K3, Laverda Mirage 1200, Kawasaki GPZ550, Kawasaki GPz550 (Unitrak), Yamaha 600 Diversion, Yamaha TDM 900, Yamaha XT660, Honda ST1300, Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

#30 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:59 pm

wifgeni.gif
I ride because I love riding, it's that simple and as a result I ride every day without compromise to the weather or work comitments( except in extreme circumstances), So by comparison I could say that a lot of you, and other bikers have bought into a lifestyle("look at me I'm a biker") because you only ride on weekends or when you feel like it or when going for a meet.
The point is, that its only our perception of others that pidgeon holes them into a category.
If they want to spend their money on a fully loaded GS then who are we to say it's right or wrong, how may of you bought a TDM because it was recommended by someone else?

Me, go BM baiting on porpoise never....

One of they would have been handy on the Snowjoke meet.

#31 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:08 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wifgeni.gif
I ride because I love riding, it's that simple and as a result I ride every day without compromise to the weather or work comitments( except in extreme circumstances), So by comparison I could say that a lot of you, and other bikers have bought into a lifestyle("look at me I'm a biker") because you only ride on weekends or when you feel like it or when going for a meet.
The point is, that its only our perception of others that pidgeon holes them into a category.
If they want to spend their money on a fully loaded GS then who are we to say it's right or wrong
, how may of you bought a TDM because it was recommended by someone else?

One of they would have been handy on the Snowjoke meet.

Hear, hear. There's a bit of poseur and fashion attraction in most of us bikers. There's no getting away from the fact that the 1100/1150/1200GS is a very well designed and engineered motorcycle that is currently the subject of a fashion fad. In 2 or 3 years time there'll be a raft of fully speced 1200's on the market when they're no longer seen as a fashion icon. Bring 'em on say I.

Edited by Baron, 30 June 2008 - 10:09 pm.

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#32 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:25 am

QUOTE(RevvinKevin @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What if they bought into a lifestyle they'll never have? Let them dream. At least they are out there riding.

Ya know I can't disagree with that, nor the comments by celticbiker and baron either

in fact i probably agree with them

my only issue with the current crop of BM riders that i have seen is their riding 'style' (fer want of a better word)

even the crotch rocket boys don't do the things I see BM twats doing in traffic....

we are all guilty of moments of daftness when riding..... (even u RoSPA + IAM boyz)

the GS lot just seem to be doing it more... and fer longer
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#33 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:22 pm

friend of mine fried the electrics on his brandnew GS ... supposedly because another mate hooked up the satnav onto the wrong cable (which this mate had done on a dozen other bikes)
friend A also put diesel into his few week old bike, that is after he backed his car into it on dayONE.
what a maroon ... smile.gif

i like the "uncommon" looks of the GS, even more of the smaller GS's
but too expensive, just have the feeling im paying for that litle black and white plaque.
they are omnipresent, on that note : anyone know of a GS get to gether in the south of France or in Spain? spotted truckloads of em on the péage going south while we were caging it home from Andorra.

GS is too "offroad", GSXR is too "circuit" to be on the road.
TDM is ... too weird?
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#34 k2col

k2col

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:22 pm

Well, watching the Long Way Round was one of a couple of things that inspired me to get my bike license a couple of years back. I mention this because the popularity of that series seems to be one of the reasons people knock GS riders.

Charley REALLY wanted to ride KTMs but KTM turned them down.. oh how KTM must regret that decision!!

So yeah, my point is yes you can knock the GS because of the Ewan/Charley thing but if it inspires people to get on two wheels then who cares...

For what it's worth I don't see too many GS's on my local roads - it's mainly sports bikes down here.

Edited by k2col, 01 July 2008 - 06:22 pm.

#35 Geomorphologist

Geomorphologist

seems to like Carpe

• 74 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:07 am

QUOTE(DKM AUTOS @ Sun 29th Jun 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, its just like the bike god has pointed down at numerous easily influenced people round the uk and said ' you boy, you have a small nob and you care too much about what people think of you - you, my son are a potential GS owner'

Surely that's a joke, along with "their pee brained minds". ohmy.gif
If anyone ever questioned why i was riding my bike, or why i had a popular machine, i probably tell them to get fucked.
One of my best friends rides a GS, rides it off-road, and has just returned from doing 17,000 miles in 5 weeks on and off-road through the Baltic states. How do you know that a proportion of the 113 GS owners you saw hadn't done similar?

Well said Kevin. good.gif

#36 Geomorphologist

Geomorphologist

seems to like Carpe

• 74 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:15 am

QUOTE(Spongey @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try one on really bumpy, poorly surfaced back roads and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

As soon as i can afford (current value) £4k then i'll have an 1150 in yellow.
Love the look of them, and all of the roads round by me are poorly surfaced! laugh.gif

#37 Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:02 am

Thing is, are GS owners any different from the Harley and clone riders or the Kawzukaha gpxyzfrr mega zillion rider? They bought a life style. How many Gixxers or 'Blades are run anywhere near their full potential? None. At least they are out there riding.

Yes on reflection, this is a very valid argument as I don't ride my black Tuono like a hooligan with my white RX7 Arai and black visor, but I have bought into that image - for now -

Guilty as charged ..... sorry GS owners......

M.M.

#38 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:22 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Mon 30th Jun 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems like your mechanic friend is unable to fix modern motorcycles. The 'electrickery' is only CAN-bus. Wich means that all the sensors and whatnot communicates on a serial bus instead of a separate cable for each item. Finding a fault on a modern system is easy. Hook up a CAN diagnostic tool and each component will say if it works or not.
Err you might want to look up where TONGUE is on tut map. I was lucky to find a 10amp fuse. yahoo.gif
QUOTE(Guinness @ Tue 1st Jul 2008, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
friend of mine fried the electrics on his brandnew GS ... supposedly because another mate hooked up the satnav onto the wrong cable (which this mate had done on a dozen other bikes)friend A also put diesel into his few week old bike, that is after he backed his car into it on dayONE.what a maroon ... smile.gif
Name begins with 'Sssss' and ends in 'tefan'? tongue.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#39 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:46 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 5th Jul 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-//- yahoo.gif Name begins with 'Sssss' and ends in 'tefan'? tongue.gif

and the points go to dapleb :-)
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#40 Guest_Matt_G_*

Guest_Matt_G_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:10 pm

As long as people are getting on bikes I'm happy! We need numbers to stop the europrats from legislating us into oblivion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users