Photo
- - - - -

Head Bearings Quick Adjustment Advisable?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:32 am

Good morning!

Lately, I have noticed a small play in the headstock bearings, at 32 000 km. Not much, no rough feeling or indents at the straight ahead or any other place. I've read all I could find in here and at JBX, envied mr Henty's special tool and whatsnot. The complete replacement procedure of the bearings is pretty clear to me.

I do plan to replace with tapered bearings, and change the fork oil at the same time. I had hoped, however, to do it at the end of the season, not now. 

Would it be a terrible idea to just nudge the castle nut an 8th or a 16th of a turn until its tight, but not binding, for now? Would it then be necessary to loosen the top yoke clamps, or just the stem cap nut?  

Any and all advice much appreciated.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:01 am

Hi N. I have found the best way to gauge wear is to jack up the front and then slightly load front wheel with a jack. Then turn steering, that will reveal true notchyness.

If you decide to give it an extra tweak, I would def do the above test before and after.

Have worn out alot of treader head bearings, I would personally replace but understand the desire to tweak. Is this not something a light application of smergel paste could fix?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:14 am

As Dappers says - if there's no roughness or notchiness then, from memory, there are 2 adjuster nuts with a rubber ring between them -  loosen the top yoke bolts and the centre nut, turn both adjuster nuts a half castlation, retighten the yoke bolts then finally the centre nut. Test and repeat if necessary.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#4 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:25 pm

So got around to it today. Put the rear up on a paddock stand and jacked up the engine until the front wheel just touched the floor. There was indeed a small, but distinct slack noticeable on pulling the fork legs.

I losened the senter cap and the yoke pinch bolts and lifted off the top yoke, and tightened the bottom castellation nut perhaps a 16th of a turn with a small hammer and a drifter. It did take some effort, it didn't move as easily as I would've thought. Top castellation nut when only finger tight fell between castels, so tightened it a tiny bit with the drifter to align it and get that lock washer back on. With all tightened up again the slack was gone, and the fork still fell merrily away to both sides with no rough spots. I could probably have tightened it a fraction more, but then again I am a bit wary of binding or premature wear.

It did make a huge difference on handling, especially in long slow turns like roundabouts where it used to sort of fall into the turn requiring sudden adjustments. Doesn't happen now.

Edited by Norwegian, 22 May 2020 - 02:27 pm.

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:28 pm

Brill sounds like a good result N...and a lot less work than replacement!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:33 pm

Brill sounds like a good result N...and a lot less work than replacement!

For sure, it was a 20 minutes job at most, really. All thanks to the excellent advice in here - cheers!

#7 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:18 pm

When I checked mine looking for a rattle when on bumpy surfaces I found the centre bolt was loose, bike had fork seals done just before I bought it so I guess they never tightened it properly, rattle now gone.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:47 pm

Is there not a rubber washer between the castellated nuts to still have tension to allow the lock tap to line up?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users