16 replies to this topic

#1 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:04 pm

HI guys , 

i have a question for all of you who already had issues with 3VD GEARBOX .

The pinion you  change was  from primary shaft  or secondary shaft ?

Has anyone have the mesures for limits on the dogs in the pinion ?

Thanks in advance for your help 

mes 

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:03 pm

Some pics may help

Attached File  DSC_0204.JPG   117.4KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0205.JPG   121.28KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0206.JPG   106.27KB   0 downloads

This pic from the Haynes re dog info, no measurements as such that i recall..

Attached File  DSC_0208.JPG   174.97KB   0 downloads

HTH

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:06 pm

I will try and remember to check in yam workshop Manuel tomorrow to see if oubt in there. Don't recall any specific tolerances.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:08 pm

Thanks Dablik ,

So basically its the 3 rd  gear pinion from primary shaft  the root of the problems .

Edited by Medmonic, 04 May 2020 - 07:09 pm.

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:19 pm

Studley is better to help you out with that Medmonic as he had broken teeth on the 3rd gear cog, albeit a mk2 but seems the same issue, he'll correct if i'm wrong, all i've done is swap out a 3vd input and output shaft for mk2a gearing, no broken teeth/pinion but dogs well worn..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:29 pm

Already tear apart 3 gearboxes , and all have the pinion from 3rd with the dogs a litle worn , but i would like to find if that its the cause of 3rd failling ......

still have 1 more engine to open tomorrow  , it was installed on my black TDM and the 3rd was very nasty especially in acellaration ........

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:55 pm

Already tear apart 3 gearboxes , and all have the pinion from 3rd with the dogs a litle worn , but i would like to find if that its the cause of 3rd failling ......

still have 1 more engine to open tomorrow  , it was installed on my black TDM and the 3rd was very nasty especially in acellaration ........

Yep 3rd gear will pop out under accelaration, sure sign it's buggered, your unlucky to get 3 in a row, but it's very common on 3vd..

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:23 pm

Yeah, the dogs round off on the edges, it also looks like the recess where the dogs locate are slightly rounded and shallow which might be why the dogs wear.

It was years ago when I last looked at a gearbox but I remember looking at the TRX and the later mk2a gearbox and thinking how well engineered they were when compared with the mk1 gearbox.  Might have some photos comparing the parts, I'll go have a look.

All I have are these photos of the mk2a 3rd gear, showing hardly any wear after 40,000 miles.

5268350937_8c23e10ccb_b.jpg

5273818109_ef1ae31f65_b.jpg

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:31 pm

Can a machine shop not undercut the original gears?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:20 am

The selector fork can often bend/wear with the gear jumping out so always have a good check. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:03 am

Yeah, the dogs round off on the edges, it also looks like the recess where the dogs locate are slightly rounded and shallow which might be why the dogs wear.

It was years ago when I last looked at a gearbox but I remember looking at the TRX and the later mk2a gearbox and thinking how well engineered they were when compared with the mk1 gearbox.  Might have some photos comparing the parts, I'll go have a look.

All I have are these photos of the mk2a 3rd gear, showing hardly any wear after 40,000 miles.

5268350937_8c23e10ccb_b.jpg

5273818109_ef1ae31f65_b.jpg

Studley,  what was your onion on the cause of the broken teef?  was it the selector fork bent causing the teef to disengage and overloading them to the point they snapped?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:10 am

It was the drivechain Ken.  Looked like it had wrapped itself around the front sprocket and jammed in the area around the sprocket.  There were marks on the casing and output shaft bearing where the chain lodged.

Forks were all fine.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:16 am

It was the drivechain Ken.  Looked like it had wrapped itself around the front sprocket and jammed in the area around the sprocket.  There were marks on the casing and output shaft bearing where the chain lodged.

Forks were all fine.

wow i bet that was a brown trouser moment!  I remember a mate of Daplebs had a chain snap on a Kawasaki ZX12R (i think it was) and it came off at high speed and slapped him in the ass if i remember correctly!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:22 am

Sounds nasty that, bet they could take a limb off.

Fortunately, for me, not my troos.  I bought the bike with the damage already done.

#15 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:51 pm

A mate of mine once had a chain go on an 1100 katana and it sliced straight through her chain guard and wrapped around the rest peg, all very shortly after the pillion in dinky ankle boots had switched ride, a very lucky bit of timing.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#16 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:29 pm

I had a split link dissapear on a KlR650 and chain jam against the swing arm and locked the wheel up I hit the kill switch and waited for the skiding to slow down then steered it to the side of the road,got off walked back to where the skid started and counted 70 paces I am 6'4 and used 3ft per step as a giude, so 210ft skid mark then (no where near as big as the one in my pants) but pleased with the end result as in didnt drop it.

Sorry going a bit off Medmonics topic.

#17 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:12 pm

SO basically after 3 geaboxes opened , what i have in the moment are this 

IMG-20200505-191515.jpg
IMG-20200505-191546.jpg
IMG-20200505-191608.jpg
IMG-20200505-191729.jpg