24 replies to this topic

#1 viper_biker

viper_biker

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:56 pm

Hello everyone, just picked up a UK spec '99 model in yellow and silver on Thursday and by Monday I'd put 700.9 miles on it (missed 701 by 0.1 miles so I was gonna prop it up on the Abba stand and turn the wheel a few times but decided against it). I'm really happy with the bike but a few things stick in my mind about it. 1st and 2nd gears 'clunking' (the official technical name for it tongue.gif ), how quiet the standard system is (got off the bike with my ears ringing from wind noise, not the cans, a new experience for me) and it's ability to drink as much oil as possible. The bike had 14,500miles on the clock, Scottoiler fitted, dark flip-up screen, air-brushed wheels to match the bikes paint work, hazard lights fitted (or are these standard?), twin air horns (one is unplugged as 1 is enough and millions louder than the cans) and a car lighter fitted for those times you just gotta light up on the road laugh.gif

Anyway I'll let a few pics tell more than I can.

2005 GSX-R 750, 1991 VFR400 NC30 (road), 1989 VFR400 NC30 (race)

#2 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:08 pm

Hi. Welcome to the world of TDM's.
Nice bike. Like the wheels.

#3 Dave in Thailand

Dave in Thailand

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:29 pm

Whoever cleaned it can do mine.

#4 MrNice

MrNice

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:17 pm

Welcome! That looks real smart, like the wheels.

What's a car lighter?

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:28 pm

Welcome Viper....you have summed up all the most common TDM issues in just a few lines and 700.9 miles.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:23 am

A Mk2... The man has taste!

(Hope those tyres don't look that good due to 'Armor All' dry.gif Thats like taking your own oil slick with you.)
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#7 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:34 am

Nice looker viper, excellent respray by the looks of it, the yellow flash looks painted, not a transfer........and its a '96 model by the way.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#8 viper_biker

viper_biker

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:42 am

I stand corrected, after a bit more research into it, it is a '96, but they are stickers, not painted. Oh, and the pic was taken after I had cleaned the bike when I got home from my little trip (went to Scarborough for a few days). Mr Nice, a car lighter is usually found around your car radio, mainly used as a lighter but also as a mobile phone charger etc.

Edited by viper_biker, 03 May 2006 - 03:01 am.

#9 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:15 am

Very nice looking bike. Nice little collection too.
smile.gif
1992 TDM 850, RED
Corbin seat, Kerker pipes, Givi top case.
DMPHOTOSD.com

#10 viper_biker

viper_biker

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:29 am

QUOTE(darcym @ Wed 3rd May 2006, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice looking bike. Nice little collection too.
smile.gif

Thanks matey, unfortunately the bottom 2 bikes gotta go though due to no more room at the inn and I'm skint biggrin.gif

While I'm here, I'm also on the lookout for a new set of cans or maybe even a full system. Preferably a 2 into 2 but definately needs to be loud. I'm also looking staright bars (Renthals) and braided hoses, is e-bay my best bet here?

#11 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:53 am

hello viper biker, nice bike mate, nice wheels nice and round, much better than triangle wheels, they're so hard to get the tyre to seal.
I currently have a pair of black WRP FATBARS on my bike, they're this........................................................................wide
give or take a few............................'s
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#12 nitram

nitram

Carpe groupie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:17 am

That's a damn fine looking TDM you got there.

Hoses can be got on Ebay for a reasonable amount. One good mod is to convert the front calipers to bluespots from R1/R6's. You should be able to get a good set for £50-£60. Gold spots also fit, but only from the 2004 R1, the newer golds pots are radials and won't not fit. If you do change to blueies then you need to get R1/R6 hoses and not TDM hoses as the banjo mountings on the Blueies are in a different place.

Not too sure about where to get renthals, I'm sure someone else will point you in the right direction.

As for using oil, this is a know issue on the MK2's it's down (most prolly) to a seal behind engine sprocket. Apparently an easy change if you can get the sprocket off!

Exhausts are, well there are loads of aftermarket jobbies, mainly 2-1's. The only company I know of that make a 2-2 are Renegade in Brands Hatch, they do a high level and a low level version. The high level looks the business, but is amazingly expensive. Their phone number is 01474-852255 and their email is mail@renegade-products.com

There is another company that make custom exhausts but I can't remember the name, trouble is they need to have the bike and make the exhaust to fit the bike. That could be a tad difficult as you live in Belfast and they are somewhere in the west country I believe.

#13 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:53 pm

welcome viper. did you buy it for the windscreen?

#14 carl

carl

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:24 pm

looks brand new!!

#15 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:49 pm

QUOTE(carl @ Wed 3rd May 2006, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
looks brand new!!

indeed it is a very good example by all accounts good.gif even if it is the underpowered 850 tongue.gif smile.gif

ohh and welcome wink.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#16 viper_biker

viper_biker

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. I spent all day familiarising myself with the bike and getting to learn about it's set-up and while I was there I fitted leads for an Optimate, filled the Scottoiler and gave it a damn good clean. By the looks of things the bike engine has had a re-spray to freshen it up but I was scrubbing that hard that I took some off the paint off. I guess it's sensible to get a fender extender and a belly pan too to reduce this. Oh yeah, and I've another pic of it from today.

#17 Big Bird

Big Bird

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:36 pm

QUOTE(viper_biker @ Thu 4th May 2006, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
......and I've another pic of it from today.

Ooooohhhh.... she's got no clothes on.

oh, and Welcome to Carpe viper_biker

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:35 am

welcome Viper, them rear winkers are non standard. can ya post up a pic of these hazards that are fitted as they came as standard on 1999 models as far as i know. ???? nice bike man.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 viper_biker

viper_biker

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:53 am

I know the indo's are non-standard but the standard ones get in the way when strapping things to the back (but they were included in the sale along with a centre stand). I'll get a pic of the button later. It's on the lhs of the nose fairing.

#20 Sloper

Sloper

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:10 am

I've bought several pairs of Renthals from http://www.bandcexpr...o.uk/index.html

A good site and good service good.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users