#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:35 pm

Bike's been stood for 6 months and I've noticed today a smear of fork oil on both forks. Nothing more than the slightest residue really. Seems really odd that both forks are the same and I'm wondering if the seals might have dried slightly ?

Also, anyone know if it'd be an MOT fail, there's no real amount of oil there, just a light residue.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:43 pm

Depends on how fastidious your tester is Studders, but leaky seals are a fail.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:59 pm

Prolly just from standing. Some peeps have had good luck with running a little tool round the seal... Or improvised with a milk bottle. That might learn em.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:31 pm

Never used em as me old knackered forks are STILL going without leaks.... But summat loike this SR

https://www.ebay.co....mlHZ3kJIZW7BozA

Pop or milk cartoon will print do same thing.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:36 am

I saw the video of some guy using one of them on his totally knackered Harley, didn't work at all, but wasn't really meant to as the forks had no seals in 'em. :lol:

Think you might be right with it just standing, I'll keep an eye on 'em.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:44 am

I saw the video of some guy using one of them on his totally knackered Harley, didn't work at all, but wasn't really meant to as the forks had no seals in 'em. :lol:

Think you might be right with it just standing, I'll keep an eye on 'em.

me tinks if ya cud take her somewhere to a private closed road and ride it around some it may re-invigorate the seals with some movement and they may reseal.  good shout regarding the plastic milk carton.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:12 pm

I've been pumping the front end a few times over the past 24hrs and the residue seems to be almost gone now. :)  A proper ride would help though.  Might chance my arm and see if it'll pass the mot.

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:28 pm

whas the deal if yer boike has a loight fork oil mist visible but only you know about it as there are fork gaiters covering it up,  are the MOT tester meant to lift the gaiters and check the forks fer leakage?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:21 pm

Tester not allowed to lift gaiters if secured total no no.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:22 pm

Forks or fork yoke:
fractured, insecure, excessively deformed or excessively corroded
Major
in such a condition that steering control is adversely affected
Dangerous
Forks or fork yoke with an unsafe modification
Major

No I don't think they would be expected to remove gaiters in the same way not expected to remove engine trays/covers.

They can cover themselves by stating item not visible.

Either way I reckon SR will be fine for MOT test regarding forks.

#11 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:41 pm

Forks or fork yoke:
fractured, insecure, excessively deformed or excessively corroded
Major
in such a condition that steering control is adversely affected
Dangerous
Forks or fork yoke with an unsafe modification
Major

No I don't think they would be expected to remove gaiters in the same way not expected to remove engine trays/covers.

They can cover themselves by stating item not visible.

Either way I reckon SR will be fine for MOT test regarding forks.

S'right....my tester says they can't move gaitors to inspect forks. S'prise to me but hey.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#12 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:37 pm

A small amount of Kitchen roll under dust seal has been known
to get a dodgy seal through an MOT

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:39 pm

Good news. :)  My leaky fork seals are no more.  I was convinced that they were going to get worse.

Pic of leaky seal.

Attached File  leakyforkseal.jpg   227.43KB   0 downloads

However, I thought I'd try again at pumping the forks (3rd attempt) to see if the seals bedded in and noticed one of the seals stopped leaking, and the 2nd wan wasn't leaking as much. I didn't have an mot so couldn't ride the bike but took a chance and booked in for an mot yesterday.  By the time I'd ridden the bike a few miles to mot centre, taking the long way round, the seals had completely dried up. :)  I now have an mot with no advisories.

Sooooo, the leaky seals musta been caused by the bike being stood since October last.

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:44 pm

Free fix.... Don't happen often that. Well done SR.

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:46 pm

Just thought it odd that both seals leaked at the same time esp. as I hadn't pulled any wheelies lately. :D

#16 KAL850

KAL850

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:03 pm

Wish mine was a free fix. They were ok when I bought it 2 weeks ago... I've just hot it back from carb and shim work, done 400 miles o it and forks are leaking like a sieve.
Somehow dont think jumping up and down on them a few times is going to sort it... they've had better than that on the roads. More expense already... my tdm is getting tds

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:05 pm

Just double up on the weetabix before you pull the forks apart, put some monkey piss around the seals awhile before you start and use a heat gun gently, you'll find both bushes on Wemoto but oem seals generally recommended....

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:43 pm

Seal weeping often happens when laid up - the plastic took does work for me but only after you thoroughly clean around the seal before inserting yer tool (f'nar, f'nar), having first lifted the dust cover up.

When finished, apply grease under the dust cover to stop stiction on the dust cover and block any future fluid seepage - job's a carrotee

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#19 Quadsey

Quadsey

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:01 pm

Think I may have availed of this free fix. Bike hasn't been out much due to lock down. Went for a spin yesterday and this morning i noticed some oil on the right fork. After reading a potential fix on here i went out and wiped it clean, rocked the forks up and down, a little oil made its way out again. Cleaned that off and on the second and third pumping of the forks, nothing! I'll check it again in the morning but its either been a free fix thanks to the collective knowledge on here or the forks have no oil in them  :lol:

"Touch not, less ye be touched" -Brodie 1995

#20 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:37 pm

Mines been sitting nearly three years, and I too have this misting, but also dribbles down the fork leg. I've wiped it a couple times, and I haven't even pumped the forks. Checked again today after a couple days, and it's dribbling down the fork leg again, so I think I'm just going to do them. Will be worth it as its had loads of other stuff done too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users