#121 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:32 pm

if you snap a head off it will be injection bodies off time, and some very careful fettling.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#122 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:43 pm

I've got this exact problem, to which my local Yam dealer reckons is 2.5 hours work. Which to be fair, it is, but at £60 per hour, it's £150 I don't have.

two and a half hours for them, a whole bloody day for nitwits like me. This is the second time I've had to do this and this time I had a full tank and no container to syphon out petrol into. Bloody murder.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#123 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:47 pm

Yeah but oi bet it was done with some love and care though muddster?

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#124 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:03 pm

Yeah but oi bet it was done with some love and care though muddster?

No, afraid not Daps. I'm more from the Basil Fawlty tradition when things stop working.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#125 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:20 pm

:lol:

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#126 jonathanD

jonathanD

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:35 pm

Did this job today as mine was stuck in engine cold position and running too fast. What a b$÷#&*do job. Screws holding it onto throttle body ground of in a second so had to loosen throttle body, drill heads and use stud extractor. Got it off and screws holding two pieces together were rusted on and no amount of penetrative oil would loosen, so drilled the heads off and removed. Luckily I got the bolt sizes off an earlier thread and had replacement ones ready. Went back together like a dream and now have bike running properly cold and warmed up. Tied it in with changing coolant and spark plugs so all up took a while.

#127 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:55 am

I did the job in 2 hours.

My tank was full, and I dumped him into a large canister with a hose.
The tank I lößte and laid him without the hoses to separate on a blanket in the place of the seat.
The air filter I built from.
The cooling water I did not remove.
The two screws I remove first with hammer and chisel. To form a shock to a notch on the edge and a 2 strokes to create the first rotation.
Unscrewing the screws I could with only a bit, I turned with a modified wrench.
The element was only at the water hoses hanging.
I cleaned and oiled the piston the unscrewed  element.
Then mount a bellows of Mr. Henry.
Then I began to assemble with new screws.

Limbo

without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#128 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:43 am

Oh well job done eh jonathon..mole grips got mine off  :P lucky me..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#129 jonathanD

jonathanD

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:12 pm

I was pissed off. I think the bike hates me

#130 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:17 pm

At least ya went to da bodder of puttin Henty bellows on so you wouldn't have to repeat a procedure that wee wee'd you oft................you did do the Henty bellows.....didnt you? :huh:

#131 jonathanD

jonathanD

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:08 pm

What are henty Bellows?

#132 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:13 pm

Doh....they is in this ear thread.  Such as post #78 #88

#133 jonathanD

jonathanD

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:46 pm

No Henty bellows. Maybe next time. Fitted Allen cap heads so can get unit off easily next time. Hoping next time won't be for a while...

#134 m0rt

m0rt

really likes Carpe

• 97 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:33 am

Fast idle when warm

slow idle when warm

fast tickover when warm

slow tickover when cold

difficulty starting when cold

Cold start mechanism

CSM

injection choke

tdm900 choke

enrichment plunger (snort)

cold starting difficulty

high revving

high tickover

low tickover when cold

the more yamaha have overthought the plumbing the more that goes wrong

when rubber makes sense

If you have searched for any of these terms and you find this post then this is the thread you are looking for - if your tdm 900 either:

Ticks over very low when cold, yet is normal when warm OR ticks over normally when cold and ticks over very fast when warm OR could be that the tickover is never quite right hot or cold then go pack to first post and note that the later posts include some excellent mods that are well worth knowing about before you perform post 1 and don't know what leehentys rubber boot is all about.

#135 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:51 am

Mine has the bellows fitted however the slide mechanism on the throttle bodies got stuck, my own fault obviously never lubed it properly, all ok now.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#136 Robk321

Robk321

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:30 pm

Did this job over the weekend, went quite well undid the screws with mole grips and freed and greased everything.
Trouble is I have the problem where the slide bar does not return. It does move easy enough with my fingers but I think it may be the spring is corroded and not effective. Anyone got a link or part numcer for a replacement spring?
Dissapointed as it took me ages and still doesnt work properly. Cant see me stripping down the slide mech as well so will just have to live with it but would like to try a new return spring.
Love this bike, but it does have some serious design faults. Greased the rear rocker last time and that is an unbelievable piece of shite engineering!

#137 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:06 pm

Did you check out JBX's page on the CSM ?

https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=CS1

If you can get the spring out a replacement should be easy to come by ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#138 Robk321

Robk321

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:03 pm

Hi yes, it all went really well the pin is now free but the slide mech doesnt return to the cold position which is a bugger.
Think I have found a site to get the spring for the slide 👍

#139 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:18 pm

Would you believe it - a couple of weeks ago when it was still warm my bike was revving ridiculously high to the point of fan cut in by the time i got to work - it is one of the only times i have ever heard the fan come on. I thought the fan was cabbaged actually. but was perplexed with the high tick over. 

It was fine since - until last night.

Came out of work at 02:00hrs and it had been raining and was reasonably nippy. Bike started but no idle up - just bog standard low rev tick over, it was a bit of a job to get it up to temperature without stalling it.  

I would venture that i have a similar concern with "plunger stickage" 

If you go down the tappy tap route on the side of the plunger assembly, how hard to do need to batter it?

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#140 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:37 pm

Not hard at all, increments of hard  :)  should move fairly easy.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users