pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:46 pm

Hello everybody!!!

I need adviсe for my 900 :-)

How it all began.

At first - I bougth a dual injector nozzle for scorttoiler and began my long long adjusting journey :-)

During it I saw than my new rear sprocket which was installed in winter is not absolutly vertical. It have runout is about 1mm in horizontal plane when wheel rotate.

My first think - incorrect rubber damper installation. I reassemble rear wheel and ... no positive result.

Further I checked all bearings - no noise, no gaps.

Then I changed old sprocket back and see 1mm runout again.

Unfortunately I don't know when problem is started. I think in autumn everything was ok, or not ... 

Now I have only one version of failure - sprocket bearing or/and collar, which pressed in bearing.

Maybe collar have a little deformation of contact surface and when we tight all parts by nut the sprocket have some runout. 

What you think about it?

How fast can it break my new chain and sprockets :-)?     

#2 WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:24 am

I don't think you need worry about it. Bare in mind over time wheel, swingarm and output shaft bearings ware. Wheels, sprockets and swingarms may be slightly out of true from manufacture. Wheel alignment may not be perfect.
A tiny amount of free play or misalignment at the front sprocket will be magnified at the rear sprocket.
Chains have enough sideways flexibility to cope with all of these.

Someone smarter than me will probably comment soon, but I wouldn't stress over a 1mm difference.

#3 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:06 pm

May be I made incorrect discription of problem.

Here is the scheme

Sprocket.jpg

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:27 am

May be I made incorrect discription of problem.

Here is the scheme

Sprocket.jpg

can ya put the bike on the centre stand or a paddock stand and run the engine in gear and show us how much movement there is?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:02 pm

Done :-)
Link 1 https://youtu.be/U0v-P9qJxnc
Link 2 https://youtu.be/6e1AM70CKAA

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:50 pm

I would check the sprocket to see it is straight and make sure the wheel surface where the sprocket sits is very clean.  Also worth checking the wheel spindle/axle is straight.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:10 pm

Everything is checked - sprocket hub surface, sprocket (straight), axle and wheel hub. I can't find a problem.
The runout we have only on sprocket hub and sprocket. Wheel hub and wheel have absolutely clean vertical rotation.
Most likely problem with sprocket bearing or/and bearing collar. I haven't other version.

#8 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:30 pm

I can't understand that this is a problem, my Mk1 has had a play of at least a coupla mms for 14 years of ownership without excessive chainwear. I never figured out what causes that play......
Bjørge

#9 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:36 pm

Well, one of the reasons for my topic is to understand if there is a big problem and whether it is necessary to fix it urgently :-)

#10 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:37 pm

My guess is 'not' ✌
Bjørge

#11 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:29 pm

The sprocket is softer than the chain - watch for excess sprocket wear (thinning), - seems unlikely to happen IMHO .

1500 miles on a collapsing sprocket carrier bearing will cost bearings + chain + sprockets. If that bearing collapses you'll likely see shiny blue chippings on the rear wheel ;)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:38 pm

I take it you put the spacer back in after you took the rear wheel off? I know it should affect the wheel alignment as well, just a thought. 

I honestly don't know if this is a big deal or not but I'd be worried if I saw that.

#13 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:45 pm

OK just been out and had a look at mine. It's doing similar but only very slightly.

Did you put the right chain on? Could it be the chain being too wide and it moving around on the sprocket?

#14 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:09 pm

I take it you put the spacer back in after you took the rear wheel off? I know it should affect the wheel alignment as well, just a thought. 

I honestly don't know if this is a big deal or not but I'd be worried if I saw that.

Yes, I am worry too :-)

Spacer installed.

OK just been out and had a look at mine. It's doing similar but only very slightly.

Did you put the right chain on? Could it be the chain being too wide and it moving around on the sprocket?

Chain DID 525 VX 118

Well, I going to order bearing ans seals and replace them if the problem will progress. Today make 120km run and checked rear whell again - no gaps, no cracking noise, 

I think about it while riding and I already think bike have new alien noise  :lol:

My future choice:

- Koyo 60282RS - 2 ps

- Koyo 62062RS - 1ps

- Carteco 12011159B 42x62x7

- Carteco 12011144B 35x52x7

I'm not sure whether to change the collar 

#15 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:48 am

In your first message you wrote: "Further I checked all bearings - no noise, no gaps".

Then:

"Well, I going to order bearing ans seals and replace them if the problem will progress. Today make 120km run and checked rear whell again - no gaps, no cracking noise, 

I think about it while riding and I already think bike have new alien noise  :lol:"

So, why changing the bearings?

Looking at youtube it seems to me there are several stiff links in your chain.

Why not changing the chain and both sprockets to start with?

Replacing correct bearings isn't going to make any difference in my opinion.

BTW, my TDM900 bearings are still original after 130.000 km. with no problems.

(the bearings on my passat TDI are after 620.000 km. still the original ones :D )

Edited by PeterM91, 19 May 2019 - 08:51 am.

#16 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:39 am

As I wrote in first post - this winter I installed new chain and both sprockets.
Well, now I have "task of the century" -:)
I have new chain and sprocket, not bad wheel bearings, straight axle and ... rear sprocket hub with runout.

Edited by pavel79, 19 May 2019 - 10:33 am.

#17 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:20 pm

I've just had a look at the videos again and the second one looks more like the wheel is out. Maybe just me not seeing it right but it looks like it's exaggerating the sprocket wobble.

#18 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:30 pm

It is difficult to see at video but I am sure wheel is OK. Only sprocket hub and sprocket has wobble.

Ok comrads, thanks for your comments and advices :-)

I will riding and watch the wheel more often.

P.S. Today I changed my old 1-nozzle chain oiler back. I didn't like dual injector - too difficult adjusting, unreliable and soft mount ...

#19 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:08 pm

Dunno if any of you fullas watch "The Workshop" on youtube. I can watch in small doses.

He recently posted a vid showing that a new rear sprocket had high spots, areas which tighten the chain as stiff links would. If nothing else it demonstrated that the sprockets and therefore everything else are not quite perfect.

I've noticed when I lube the chain on my bike that their is a slight wobble as the wheel rotates, it's slight enough to be a trick of the old eyes, or maybe not. I put a fair bit of effort in ensuring the rear wheel is not crabbing when I adjust the chain, which it rarely needs. Either way, absolutely zero bearing or chain issues for many thousands of KM's. 

I wouldn't sweat it OP, just keep an eye on it until you get bored.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#20 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:00 am

👍

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users