• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#61 gilbert

gilbert

really likes Carpe

• 83 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:42 pm

can i ask something silly, the old 850 fuel pump has 2 tube coming out of it to the carbs, so when you fix the new electrical fuel pump, there is only one tube leading the petrol to the carbs, do you split the tube into 2 with a connector to the carbs?

Edited by gilbert, 21 January 2009 - 03:43 pm.

#62 Oigres

Oigres

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 126 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:30 pm

And by the way,

Could this one fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...2...A1|240:1318

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...-...A1|240:1318

Thinking on next oil change to get hands to work and do it all at once.

Thanks in advance

Oigres

Edited by Oigres, 21 January 2009 - 08:50 pm.

Black MK1, 40k, CenterStand, Mushrooms, Alarm, Givi TopBox and Givi semihard bags on the side, leather tank cover, Lidl magnetic tank bag, Renthal 755 handlebar, hand guards (flucked when dropped), taller screen.

#63 Iainzxr

Iainzxr

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:46 pm

QUOTE(Oigres @ Wed 21st Jan 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And by the way,
Could this one fit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...2...A1|240:1318

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...-...A1|240:1318
Thinking on next oil change to get hands to work and do it all at once.
Thanks in advance
Oigres

Hi guys ... new to the forum and TDMs but I think my problem is in here somewhere ... Just bought an early MK1 TDM. It started when I got it ... ran for a few minutes and put it in the garage ... Next day it wouldn't start. Good spark and plenty of petrol.... now I read bits about a fuel pump ... is this my prob and can it be fixed... any advice accepted .. Cheetrs Iain.

#64 Oigres

Oigres

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:09 pm

Sorry mate cant help for now.

Bought the sucker but havent installed it yet, only at the end of summer. She only complains in the winter time so no need to mode it now.

Somebody will help ya soon i betcha.

Behave

Oigres
Black MK1, 40k, CenterStand, Mushrooms, Alarm, Givi TopBox and Givi semihard bags on the side, leather tank cover, Lidl magnetic tank bag, Renthal 755 handlebar, hand guards (flucked when dropped), taller screen.

#65 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:25 pm

QUOTE(Iainzxr @ Tue 19th May 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys ... new to the forum and TDMs but I think my problem is in here somewhere ... Just bought an early MK1 TDM. It started when I got it ... ran for a few minutes and put it in the garage ... Next day it wouldn't start. Good spark and plenty of petrol.... now I read bits about a fuel pump ... is this my prob and can it be fixed... any advice accepted .. Cheetrs Iain.

Before you go to all the trouble of changing out a fuel pump I have two words... Dirty Petrol.
Drain that tank dry (and your carb float bowls too) run carb cleaner thru it when you get it started.
Your carbs may be varnished from the old fuel.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#66 Iainzxr

Iainzxr

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:33 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Tue 19th May 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before you go to all the trouble of changing out a fuel pump I have two words... Dirty Petrol.
Drain that tank dry (and your carb float bowls too) run carb cleaner thru it when you get it started.
Your carbs may be varnished from the old fuel.

What a difference a day makes ... Went out this morning ... wouldn't start .... stripped off the tank and seat ... located the pump ... took it off.... looked at it ... looked at it again ... turned the key .... and low and behold ... the bitch started ... Will drain the system and replace petrol ... and keep the fingers crossed ... Cheers Iain

#67 Skeezix

Skeezix

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:07 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Wed 29th Mar 2006, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before I start this mod, can anyone clarify which fuel pump is better to use - the R1, or R6? Also, I need to get a fuel pump from a NON fuel-injected R1/R6, correct?

What relay are you guys using? Are you buying a Yamaha OEM relay? If so, does anyone have a part number.

Sorry to be a sticklet, but if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right! Thanks.

#68 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:04 am

Relay is a relay, long as it's decent quality, weatherproof (if needed), and sufficient amps.

Definitely need a non-FI pump - I don't know if R1 or R6 is better; they might be the same anyway.

#69 Skeezix

Skeezix

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:46 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Sun 14th Mar 2010, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Relay is a relay, long as it's decent quality, weatherproof (if needed), and sufficient amps.

Definitely need a non-FI pump - I don't know if R1 or R6 is better; they might be the same anyway.

I haven't been able to locate a pump on eBay, but I called the local dealer, and was told that a NON-fuel injected R1 fuel pump is $298. Yikes.

#70 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:20 am

QUOTE(Skeezix @ Sun 14th Mar 2010, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't been able to locate a pump on eBay, but I called the local dealer, and was told that a NON-fuel injected R1 fuel pump is $298. Yikes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item5ad79cf2e7

?

#71 Skeezix

Skeezix

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:36 am

QUOTE(LDRider @ Sun 14th Mar 2010, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm....never bought anything on eBay overseas. I might give it a go. I'd wonder if it comes with all the parts, as I'd no idea what to look for on a used fuel pump.

#72 steveearwig

steveearwig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:10 am

If I might urinate into your cornflakes at this point - it seems to me like a lot of these fuel pump feeds are done from a ignition live, mine too although it's fed via the kill switch (don't ask me how, I did it about 12 years ago...). So, what happens when Victor Volvo gives you the traditional premature dismount? Here's a hint - floats don't work on their sides. This has always bothered me, the 4TX fuel pump is fed from the ignition coil circuit one end, which is controlled by the kill switch, but from the other end it has a direct feed from the ignitor unit, so presumably when the engine stops running so does the pump. There is something I've seen fitted to cars called a tachometric relay, which takes a feed from the engine management when the engine is running, and also another feed from the starter cirtcuit so the pump runs while the engine is cranking. I've no idea how I'd fit one to my bike though.

Thoughts?
3VD006578 - it's alive!!

#73 steveearwig

steveearwig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:16 am

QUOTE(gilbert @ Wed 21st Jan 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can i ask something silly, the old 850 fuel pump has 2 tube coming out of it to the carbs, so when you fix the new electrical fuel pump, there is only one tube leading the petrol to the carbs, do you split the tube into 2 with a connector to the carbs?

One's the vacuum feed, which you need to plug.
3VD006578 - it's alive!!

#74 HankSD

HankSD

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:30 pm

I thought I had also seen there was a better vacuum pump that could be fitted? yes, no?

#75 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:17 am

I finished fitting my R1 pump the other night. I wired an additional fuse box that is relay controlled, from the bikes run switch. I also welded a bracket up to allow me to mount the pump using the original fuel pump mounting holes.

Fusebox

Pump fitted

You can see the extra relay on the left in this photo

More photos here

http://www.flickr.co...s/47339542@N08/

Edited by hammerman, 25 April 2010 - 07:28 am.

#76 idlebloke

idlebloke

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:35 pm

Picked up a leccy pump the other day from a Fazer 1000. A job for some time later.

2 dopey q's.....

Which side does the filter that is attched to one of the pipes go (before pump or after)

Has a connector with black and black/blue wires. I'll put a battery on it later to test it works, but when it comes to the actual fitting, are these the same colours that other have come across on theirs? If so, which is the live and which is the earth?

#77 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:53 pm

Black/blue=Live

Black= ? have a guess tongue.gif

ermmmm, did you read the first post, only you might have missed a bit if ya did rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#78 idlebloke

idlebloke

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:27 pm

rotflmmfao.gif

.....'course I read it.....sort of.....

like most things, I 'sort of' speed read it.....or....looked at the pictures!!

Cheers mate

#79 bikernut1986

bikernut1986

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:01 pm

QUOTE(idlebloke @ Wed 8th Sep 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif

.....'course I read it.....sort of.....

like most things, I 'sort of' speed read it.....or....looked at the pictures!!

Cheers mate

pete

maybe you could give me a hand fit 2 of em shud be easy but i hate elctrical shite !!!!

my bikes include
yamaha xt600 tenere 3aj 1989
yamaha xtz750 supertenere 1991
yamaha tdm850 1991 hillclimb bike heavily modified
honda cb400t 1978 dream mint condition 12k miles from new
yamaha trx850 streetfighter project

keep it off the tarmac and in the green

#80 landshark

landshark

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:00 pm

I've been running this mod for about a year now and 2x in that year, for no apparent reason, the negative lead from the pump to the battery went POOF! The lead went from stranded to solid copper and is very brittle. Not to mention the wire insulation is melted. Wire too small a gauge? Or something else you think?

thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users