36 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 May 2023 - 04:52 pm

Had intended to have a ride out on the bike this afternoon but the alarm is playing silly buggers!🤬 Pressing the disarm button on the fob produces a flash of the red led on the fob but no corresponding beep and indicator flash on the bike. Any attempt to start it results in alarm activating but no amount of pressing on the disarm button will switch it off even though the light on the fob is illuminatin. It also seems to have got itself into fully armed mode including nudge and movement, I usually only have the immobiliser set.🤔
Is this likely to be just the key fob battery needing replaced or something more complicated involving the alarm system itself? The battery on the bike is fully charged.
Any advice(other than the obvious to bin the alarm completely😀) would be gratefully appreciated.
Two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left.

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:32 pm

Don’t be tempted to just cut out the alarm, others have done this resulting in a dead bike

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:47 pm

Dont be tempted to just cut out the alarm, others have done this resulting in a dead bike

Not something I'd be trying to do myself. If it has to come out it will be going to a garage to get it removed.

#4 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:08 pm

You may not need to remove it. I read somewhere that you can get a wired socket to fit in the unit connection plug which allows the bike to function as normal but without the alarm. Something similar to this I guess   https://www.ebay.co....tm/224586503254

I had a Datatool S3 on my Guzzi and removed it completely. It wasn't too bad to do, but I did have to replace parts of the loom where sections had been cut out to fit the alarm. Also took one off of my bro in laws R6 and in total contrast to mine, it was a bitch! 

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:23 pm

Years ago Wicky had the same problem and the electrical dept labelled up his loom with destructions on how to fix.

Dunno if it was ever posted ear will have a lookee
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:27 pm

Thanks for that Trevino, I'll bear it in mind if it turns out to be the alarm at fault.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:33 pm

Well Dappers & Leonwolf i had a wiring diagram of the alarm that was fitted to my TDM along with the Haynes manual which helped with cross referencing the various wires.  Once Dapleb Snr.  had explained it all to me and tried to make me understand that electrical circuits are alot loike a hot water system all i had to do was snip a wire here and there and rejoin the odd one here and there,  it started first press of the starter. I am goin to remove a Meta System alarm from Mole's Versys at sum pint in time as it really drains the battery in no time.

Thats a no then. ◉⁠‿⁠◉

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:00 am

Took mine off last year. Was a bitch as there's a few blue/white wires not all connecting to each other. Was fine other than them.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:14 am

It's going to be noisy with the alarm going off as you do this, but try disconnecting the battery overnight, maybe it's only a software glitch and needs to be reset

Edited by fixitsan, 30 May 2023 - 07:14 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:58 am

It's going to be noisy with the alarm going off as you do this, but try disconnecting the battery overnight, maybe it's only a software glitch and needs to be reset

Had to disconnect the battery last night in order to take out the back wheel (getting new tyre fitted today)and had left it disconnected overnight. Reconnected the battery this morning and all seems to be back to normal.🤔
Thanks for the hints and tips, fingers crossed no more problems.

#11 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:35 pm

Many years ago when I worked in breakdown/recovery the three most common callouts were flat batteries, flat tyres and faulty aftermarket alarms/ immobilisers, especially when they get to be a few years old. Most people ignore alarms going off anyway, so probably best to just get rid as it's literally a breakdown waiting to happen.

When I removed the alarm from the Guzzi, I foolishly tested the remote to see if it would still arm from the built in battery whilst completely disconnected. It armed fine, but then wouldn't shut down 30 sec later when all hell broke loose on the driveway. Sounded worse than bagpipes, so I took great pleasure in smashing it with a club hammer until it fell silent. Highly recommended therapy should you feel the need. :rotflmmfao:  

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 May 2023 - 05:29 pm

Many years ago when I worked in breakdown/recovery the three most common callouts were flat batteries, flat tyres and faulty aftermarket alarms/ immobilisers, especially when they get to be a few years old. Most people ignore alarms going off anyway, so probably best to just get rid as it's literally a breakdown waiting to happen.

When I removed the alarm from the Guzzi, I foolishly tested the remote to see if it would still arm from the built in battery whilst completely disconnected. It armed fine, but then wouldn't shut down 30 sec later when all hell broke loose on the driveway. Sounded worse than bagpipes, so I took great pleasure in smashing it with a club hammer until it fell silent. Highly recommended therapy should you feel the need. :rotflmmfao:  

:good:  Sounds like a right palavar.

When I got the little KTM, knowing they're a bit stealable, but not wanting to have to go through the process of hacking into the wiring, I bought the cheapest bit of junk on ebay, it only has + & - 12V connections, and a remote red flashing led, prewired.

I wasn't expecting much, not least of all because the small control unit/sounder is buried under the dash out of the way, but in the garage if I nudge it (while taking the TDM out instead), it gives a satsifying beep, and if I nudge it again within 10 seconds it double beeps. If I tilt the bike from it's current lean angle just a few degrees it beeps and then wails eventually.

I think I only paid £15, but even 3 years after fitting, it still works with the original batteries in the remote. It's not a full on alarm but it's isolated completely from the bike electronics so if it misbehaves I just need to pull the +ve wire. It makes all the right telltale noises. I haven't stopped using a good bike lock either :)

It's along these lines https://www.ebay.co....kp:BFBM1PbV3I1i

Edited by fixitsan, 30 May 2023 - 08:35 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 May 2023 - 04:48 pm

:lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:26 pm

So much for thinking my alarm problems were all sorted.😱 Back to the beginning, can't disarm the f***** thing.🤬🤬
Looks like it's going to have to come out. Any advice or links to how to do it?

#15 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:41 pm

So much for thinking my alarm problems were all sorted. Back to the beginning, can't disarm the f***** thing.
Looks like it's going to have to come out. Any advice or links to how to do it?

Your quickest and easiest way is with one of those plugs I linked to as it reconnects all of the original wiring internally on the alarm.

Other than that, you’re faced with stripping the loom and tracing all of the black wires from the alarm back to the joints on the original loom and then repairing the loom. Depending on how well it was fitted, chunks of the original loom may have been cut out. Most of it is common sense and being methodical. You’ll have four wires going to the indicators, probably one to the fuel pump and/ or one to the feed for the ignition coils, a wire or two going to a flashing led when the unit is armed, plus live and earth feeds. If you go down the strip the loom back route, get a wiring diagram for the bike first so you have an idea of what connects to what.

LCErj.jpg

#16 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 08:09 am

Your quickest and easiest way is with one of those plugs I linked to as it reconnects all of the original wiring internally on the alarm.

That's the first option I'm going to try, I hate working on electrics.😱

#17 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:39 am

https://youtu.be/x98nL3nYcR4

https://youtu.be/AhHj8_Xlh7c

Might help a bit

This is really useful as it describes the internal wiring colours of the unit....http://www.sonicside...otorcycle-alarm

Edited by trevini, 02 June 2023 - 11:01 am.

LCErj.jpg

#18 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 01:05 pm

https://youtu.be/x98nL3nYcR4

https://youtu.be/AhHj8_Xlh7c

Might help a bit

This is really useful as it describes the internal wiring colours of the unit....http://www.sonicside...otorcycle-alarm

Thanks.👍

#19 JohnnyW

JohnnyW

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 06:01 pm

Maybe, just maybe, the fault lies not within the alarm but possibly within the Muppet pushing the buttons.🤪I think I put it into winter mode and didn't exit winter mode properly. 😳
Left the battery disconnected again last night, reconnected it this morning and it has been working perfectly all day. I'll monitor it but fingers crossed it seems to be back to normal.

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 06:24 pm

That would be a result JW...fingers crossed fur ewe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users