#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:44 pm

I expect everyone other than me already knows this but apparently the standard unleaded is going to become E10 this summer!!!

By plugging in Yamaha in to the completely pants "vehicle checker" tool, all Yamaha post 1990 are apparently fine with E10!

"During summer 2021, the standard (95 octane) petrol grade in Great Britain will become E10.

The change in fuel applies to petrol only. Diesel fuel will not be changing.

Almost all (95%) petrol-powered vehicles on the road today can use E10 petrol and all cars built since 2011 are compatible.

If your petrol vehicle or equipment is not compatible with E10 fuel, you will still be able to use E5 by purchasing the super grade (97+ octane) petrol from most filling stations.

Petrol pumps will clearly label petrol as either E10 or E5." ...yeah even if it's E0!

https://www.gov.uk/g...etrol-explained
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:54 pm

More joy for us peasants then with older vehicles, well one at least, got new fuel lines on the bike (not that it goes anywhere so i'm safe  :) ) but even though Yam state were good from 1991 i would be checking regular like, last thing ya need is leaky lines and some smurf chucks his ciggy butt out at the lights en..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:59 pm

Might have to do some Esso super and unleaded mixing to get back to E5 and limit the increase in costs. (✷‿✷)

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:32 pm

Interesting info Daps. :good:  Looks like some fairly recent cars don't loike E10 so might be worth checking yer motors too.

Also interesting that the 1989 XTZ750 with same carbs and fuel pump as mk1 isn't E10 compatible eh. :huh:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:48 pm

What nonsense same enjun too ...think they just used the 1991 as a cut off regardless.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:39 pm

It's the plastic choke plungers and fuel pump membrane I'm thinking might suffer from the E10.   Plungers seem to rot on the tips using current fuel.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:18 am

When I checked on the Gov site regarding E10 being compatible with my Blackbird says all Honda post 93 are compatible,

in the BB owners manual says E5 only

anyway link to Euro babble,  seems it will be more of an issue for carb bikes :dunno:

https://www.acem.eu/...tegorise/33-e10

with little disclaimer -

DISCLAIMER:

In doubt always check user manual or contact the importer. Ethanol blends above 10% can 1. damage the painting of the fuel tank, 2. damage the rubber fuel lines, 3. cause corrosion of fuel lines and 4. cause poor drivability.

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:30 pm

From what I've seen, E10 could be a prob with some rubber seals/ o rings and fuel pipe so no real probs.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 Fandango

Fandango

sticking around

• 22 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 30 June 2021 - 03:24 pm

The biggest issue you will get with E10 is fuel contamination as the increase in ethanol means more chance of water going undetected in the fuel.  This leads on from fuel being stored on forecourts and bacterial growth and fuel quality issues - this is my line of work and an utter headache.

In short, fit an inline fuel filter if you haven't already and keep an eye on it .  As above there are chances of o-rings etc failing but these will take time ,so again a watching brief.

How you store your bike will determine the effect on the tank over time as even a full tank of fuel will still mean water is drawn into it from the atmosphere over time.  How much is a tank full of fuel over winter vs a new tank over a few years (worst case scenario)???

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 06:13 pm

Good to know. :good:

I've got the later mk2a carbs on which have far fewer o rings and plastic bits than the mk1 wans.  Think I'll prolly go for the dearer stuff though, I don't really do a lot of miles so it won't be a lot more ££ per annum anyhoos.

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 06:34 pm

Dangermouse is already on Esso super. The TDM stored on Esso super.....now I think oil do the same SR and run it super all the time.

I wonder if E0 will now/soon become E5!? That would explain why they never bothered calling zero ethanol stuff E0!

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:43 am

You know it makes sense Rodders.

What's the chances of super going up in price once the E10 arrives ?  Methinks, rather pessimistically, it'll shoot up.

#13 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:25 pm

What's the chances of super going up in price once the E10 arrives ?  Methinks, rather pessimistically, it'll shoot up.[/quote]

Not sure what the price is normally - but £ 1.449 for BP ultimate in Dundee today
Going back to Tesco momentum99 was only £1.349 last week

#14 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:51 pm

Only?

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:54 pm

What's the chances of super going up in price once the E10 arrives ?  Methinks, rather pessimistically, it'll shoot up.[/quote]

Not sure what the price is normally - but £ 1.449 for BP ultimate in Dundee today
Going back to Tesco momentum99 was only £1.349 last week

That's pricey, £1.45 a litre.

E5's been going up in price for the past few months, £1.289 at Tesco yesterday.  So if momentum99 is around £1.35 that's only 6p a litre more expensive.  Worth the extra if my carbs and fuel lines don't rot.

#16 Fandango

Fandango

sticking around

• 22 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:10 am

BTW - Tesco Mo99 is Shell V Power chemically.  Tesco add a fuel stabiliser as they don't sell as much as Shell but you can save a few pennies.

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:38 am

Maybe you will know Fandango, apparently Esso super is the only E0 super, even though labelled as E5 (unless in South West UK where it is actually E5). Is that the case and all the others are actually E5?

Edit: from ear http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 03:00 pm

:wifgeni:  Would be good to know.

BTW - Tesco Mo99 is Shell V Power chemically.  Tesco add a fuel stabiliser as they don't sell as much as Shell but you can save a few pennies.

What fuel do you put in the 8fiddly Carlos ?

#19 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:05 pm

That's pricey, £1.45 a litre.

E5's been going up in price for the past few months, £1.289 at Tesco yesterday.  So if momentum99 is around £1.35 that's only 6p a litre more expensive.  Worth the extra if my carbs and fuel lines don't rot.

Funny you should mention that,

I'm up and running again, gave the fuel lines a perfunctory tug underneath the tank and all seemed well, 1 litre in the tank and no sign of leaks anywhere, another 4 litres and i had fuel pissing all over the bike, as you know the bike has been stood for awhile and these fuel lines were new last year and have a total of 420 miles of fuel running through.

The ends of my fuel line i covered with heat shrink to prevent fraying so did'nt spot this even with a tug, see for yourselves.

Fuel in to tap

med_gallery_18822_394_551525.jpg

So i pullled back the braiding on the reserve line and this is what that one is like

med_gallery_18822_394_111994.jpg

Think i'll be using the expensive fuel......... also though my tank has been on/off the bike like a yoyo, i mean many times and i'm sure that's been detrimental to the fuel lines as well but that is worrying, get checking your fuel lines chaps.

So i'll be having a look around the internet for something a bit more suitable than the current shite i put on the bike, any links or info to something more appropriate very welcome..

Edited by dablik, 02 July 2021 - 07:07 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:16 pm

I remember you saying fuel lines were a tight fit in places due to the od.  D'ya think that mighta caused this or is it caused by the E5 ?

Wemoto do fuel pipe, no idea what it's like or if it's suitable but it's listed under the TDM850 page.  Is oem too expensive for you ?

I did have a cursory browse on google for the same diameter as oem but found nothing.  It all seems to be much bigger od.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users