• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:10 pm

Has anyone tried this? I currently fill up every 3 days for work (about 225 miles) and I'm looking at options to bring this up to above 400 miles, once a week fill up. This would equate to a 30 litre tank. i.e. In need of a 10 litre extension.

So the options are as follows:

1. buy a used tank, fill it with water, cut it and extend it to by 50%

2. find some way of fabricating something to go on the inside of a givi pannier rack that won't foul the panniers and have it plumbed in.

I think I'd prefer the former to keep weight balanced laterally although it would comprimise the handling of the bike.

I've been sorely tempted by a Super Tenere replacement as I'm looking to reduce commuting costs by taking a pillion in with me, but that would require the same work doing, although proportionally would probably have handling comprimised less and I imagine could take the added weight better too.

#2 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:46 pm

What about a Rotopax ?

https://images.app.g...QBXkYh2QRPLLer6

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#3 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:57 pm

I have seen these and they look a good product for the price, although I park in the City every day and I doubt they'd still be there long for my use.

I'd be quite keen on the fuel tanks being used automatically or at worst at the flick of the switch, and they definitely couldn't remove the pillion seat or top box.

#4 steves100uk

steves100uk

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:37 am

Would it be a good idea in a pannier? As it would be right above the exhaust where it could get warm and if it leaked could end up an a fire ball.

#5 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:12 am

I have seen these and they look a good product for the price, although I park in the City every day and I doubt they'd still be there long for my use.

I'd be quite keen on the fuel tanks being used automatically or at worst at the flick of the switch, and they definitely couldn't remove the pillion seat or top box.

Then check out the Acerbis tanks 

https://www.acerbis..../0001609#a_page

or

https://www.amazon.c...m/dp/B01AGFJ2CA

These are popular for adv riders who spend several days off the beaten track

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:25 am

Just wondering how one would get the fuel gauge to work properly if one modded the tank or fitted a different wan ?

Is it really worth the hassle ?  After all, filling up only takes a few minutes.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:59 am

Just wondering how one would get the fuel gauge to work properly if one modded the tank or fitted a different wan ?

Is it really worth the hassle ?  After all, filling up only takes a few minutes.

I don't need my fuel gauge to work, I use the bike 95% of the time for commuting so I know I need to fill up every x days. If I were using it for a different purpose, and would be traveling further than the 220 miles or so at which I get a little twitchy for fuel, I would just fill up every however many miles approximately.

Filling up does only take a few minutes, but the cheapest petrol station by some margin on my way in to work doesn't open until 7am, which makes getting to my desk for 8 a little tight in the winter when traffic gets quite busy on the A2. Also taking off your gloves gets seriously boring in the winter months or even in summer when your hands are all sweaty. Not a big deal for some people I get that, but for me it is a proven deal breaker as I've not ridden my vfr1200 in months because I have to fill up every other day with it.

Problem with some of these fuel tanks is they're great for the purpose they've been designed for but I imagine if I parked for work with one of them on the back, either the whole thing would be gone by the time I got back, or someone would have at least stolen the fuel. Top box also has to remain on :/ not so keen on bolting anything to the side of the top box, as that then tends to nudge vans if filtering through really tight stuff.

Did reach out to a few fabricators of custom motorcycles etc to see if the fuel tank extension is something they'd entertain and I've got back a very honest answer so far that it actually makes the bike unstable at speed and it is expensive to do. I wonder if you could get away with doing something like it on an S10 based on the fact it's already very heavy, as that would effectively make it a reliable GSA.

#8 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:06 am

What about filling up a plastic fuel can and putting it in topbox/pannier. Can then refill at home using fuel can.

#9 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:36 pm

Smelly stuff that, not sure I want it in my luggage. But I think I could always fill up at the local Asda on sunday night and bungee some jerry cans to the top of the 'box for the journey back, then fill up at home until I think of a longer time solution.

I can barely be bothered to lube the chain in the winter months so I don't know if it necessarily solves my issue completely but it's less bad. Saw a thread of someone doing the tank expansion to a S10 and I just really fancy it. Bet it's pricey though

Quite surprised nobody here has done something along these lines as I've seen some resourceful stuff in these parts.

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 September 2019 - 02:54 pm

Can deffo be enlarged. Which S10 you on about the old 750 or the newer 1200 ? I get where yer coming from regarding filling up, damp cold gloves etc.ya shud look at gettin' a chain oiler too.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:45 pm

Know I'd seen something lately. Hope you can zoom and read!!

Attached Files

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:20 pm

not too impressed with that Tigers range of 350 miles when you consider how much fuel it's combined tanks can take.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:50 pm

I wonder if it's possible to get side panel tanks built into them there side panels. Obviously the shape is the main problem. Not sure how functional that side vent is, so maybe that could be cut out ? Probably get 4 or 5 litres in each one ?

The shape could easily be done on a 3D printer, but I don't know about any printable material which is fuel safe (HDPE should work). But it could become a mould for another process, vacuum forming ?

Or a fuel bladder from a fuel cell tucked into the side panels ? Or, these bags roll up very small as the fuel volume reduces. Not sure I'ld be happy in crash though.  https://www.ebay.co....UwAAOSwmThcaywj

Maybe there's nothing for it but to get some custom stainless tanks made up, but then , isn't it probably just less hassle to fill up more often ? :)

4L motorcycle bladder https://www.alibaba.....5d975ffbj4i1oy

Edited by fixitsan, 30 September 2019 - 11:01 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#14 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:06 am

Yeah I've seen they get the molded tank and side panels for the honda africa twin, and things like the WR250 can get them too (seen on Riding With Tom's youtube channel). I flirted with the idea of getting the tank extended to the side to keep weight lower down ( like I think the GSA is? ) but I then thought well the top box mod would be cheaper.

Talking about the 1200 S10 - with the view to having it to replace the TDM as a daily (but would keep the TDM) and get rid of the vfr12. I've tried chain oilers in the past but never had much luck! Maybe I'll try again next time I have reason to throw a spanner at it. Clutch cable been trying to tell me it's on it's way out for the last 6 months but I'm having none of it.

Guy on the Tiger seems nuts. A friend did point out yesterday that this might not be allowed in France as there's a limit on how much fuel you can carry - whether being plumbed in applies or not idk. Certainly in Germany they might be hotter on checking for TUV compliance with an auxiliary tank than with an enlarged tank. If it could be hidden by panniers reasonably well though I'd be all for it on the inside.

Is it less hassle to fill more often, possibly, but that's almost not the point. It'd be interesting to see what's possible in this space. The mounted to the back of pannier rack solution physically plumbed in but with a separate filler cap is definitely something I'd go for with the TDM, but having researched as far as anyone can the tank expansion side of things, I really don't think I'd be willing to drop that kind of cash at the TDM

I'll see if I can track down Philip Weston and see if he can pass on his fabricator's details.

#15 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:23 am

Then check out the Acerbis tanks 

https://www.acerbis..../0001609#a_page

or

https://www.amazon.c...m/dp/B01AGFJ2CA

These are popular for adv riders who spend several days off the beaten track

Not sure if you saw my previous post or not ^ ^ ^ but here is another similar link https://www.nomadtan...m.au/our-tanks/

Hunter S. Thompson.

#16 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:31 am

Sorry yes I did, but I think I need something that would be inside the pannier rack (so that a pannier rack could in theory be mounted if it were filled with underpants and the aux tank were empty - and I definitely require full use of passenger seat and top box. Looking at this I don't think an off the shelf solution will work

Problem with some of these fuel tanks is they're great for the purpose they've been designed for but I imagine if I parked for work with one of them on the back, either the whole thing would be gone by the time I got back, or someone would have at least stolen the fuel. Top box also has to remain on :/ not so keen on bolting anything to the side of the top box, as that then tends to nudge vans if filtering through really tight stuff.

I'm drawn towards a stainless steel plumbed in one as I'm hoping that the majority of scooter thugs won't instantly recognise it's for fuel

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:57 am

It's not a case that it might not be needed, because it could be if not now but perhaps in the future fuel availability might become threatened. I ride a KTM with upto a 110mile range, and down to 80 mile range, so I know about range anxiety !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#18 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:00 pm

Well if it comes down to the old Saab 9-5 would act as my fuel tanker for the bike, although it's not as great at storing oil :rotflmmfao:

#19 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:30 pm

Could you use a topbox (get a crappy one for when you need it) as fuel tank holder or put a compartment in. It would raise the centre of gravity for when it's full but would likely be straight forward to fill.

#20 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:17 am

Have you not got an issue with insurance if you have another tank mounted.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users