72 replies to this topic

#1 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:36 pm

Having been a Tenere man most of my motorbiking time, (still got one) I got as excited as a little boy the night before Xmas day when Yamaha announced the 700 Ten was coming. Now that was a bike I would swap the TDM for. With my wife's blessing I started saving the pennies. That was back in 2016! Two years of promising prototypes and still nothing real. Vague data and just pretty pictures.
Now finally Yamaha unveiled the real thing. And it looks stunning, to be honest. And then you get the details and it all of a sudden only looks pretty. The trademark for Teneres of past was simplicity, reliability (with the 1VJ blip), large tank, just comfortable enough, and just that little bit more off- roady than the others. I was hoping the 700 would do all those things.
Here are my issues with the new one. 16 liters of fuel! Really? I know the engines makes around 200 miles on that, so they say, but Tenere it isn't. Then the seat. The bike is obviously designed the be ridden on the pegs. Can't see me doing 200 miles on that with my bony arse. Then the rear end. I do like the side panels. Far better than the usual exposed scaffolding on most other adventure bikes. But it seems awkward for fitting kit onto it. Then the weight of it. 205-209 kg. Depending who you ask. Was hoping for 20 less considering its size. Its small. And now they are saying to expect it in the second half of 19! That's the time of year when everybody rushes to the dealers for new bikes, of cause. The colour choice for GB not great either. Black boring and red white strange. No blue. And still no price. All it needs now is to be around 9 grand to make up my mind for me.
All that means another season on my trusty TDM. Just had her serviced and is waiting for me to pick her up. She has never let me down yet. Once set up properly I can really push now, too. Just a joy with occasional clumsiness. And she is actually there! And all the above means I am not rushing out to put a deposit down for the first batch. Keep the money in the bank and wait for a couple of years. The TDM will do just fine. Happy to do another trip on her.
And for Yamaha, how long does it take to develop a bike? Get on with it. You are cheesing a lot of people off.

Rob

#2 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:57 pm

Good choice to keep the TDM. Over the years I've seen many members come on here, change for something newer and more shiny, only to regret their choice and want another TDM. I came close to pulling the pin on a Versys 1000 earlier this year, but in the end the vast difference in value didn't outweigh any perceived benefits. 

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:07 am

Here are my issues with the new one. 16 liters of fuel! Really? I know the engines makes around 200 miles on that, so they say, but Tenere it isn't. Then the seat. The bike is obviously designed the be ridden on the pegs. Can't see me doing 200 miles on that with my bony arse. Then the rear end. I do like the side panels. Far better than the usual exposed scaffolding on most other adventure bikes. But it seems awkward for fitting kit onto it. Then the weight of it. 205-209 kg. Depending who you ask. Was hoping for 20 less considering its size. Its small. And now they are saying to expect it in the second half of 19! That's the time of year when everybody rushes to the dealers for new bikes, of cause. The colour choice for GB not great either. Black boring and red white strange. No blue. And still no price. All it needs now is to be around 9 grand to make up my mind for me.

a) I would guess easily 250 miles of effective range

b) Have you tried these new style seats ? They look like homemade cafe racer planks, but to my experience they ar as comfy as the thicker old style seats. Have rented both 07 and 09 Tracers, the seat were surpeisingly good...

Bjørge

#4 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:45 am

Bjorge
I had extended test rides on both 07 and 09 Tracers. Found them both a bit on the marginal side. Two bikers I met in the Tunnel coming back from France on 09s commented 'great, but shame about the seat' Also remember the comfy looking seat on the 660Ten. Unbearable long distance without Airhawk, otherwise a cracking bike.
And did I mention my bony ar..?
Anyways, not rushing to buy one and wait for real life tests. That will be a while.

Rob

P.S.
Aired my concerns to my wife. Big mistake. She immediately reassigned the Tenere fund to a new van. Darn! Should have seen that coming.

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:21 pm

Well, a custom seat may solve these issues....

Bjørge

#6 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:27 pm

Go have a test ride on a Suzuki vstrom 1000 before you dive in on the Tenere! I think this 700 is going to be another Africa twin ( Have a look how many S/H ones are floating about) It's not a common sense bike at all, and you may look good on this, but your arse will be in shreds on a long tour, all these modern bikes are the same seats like planks of wood, I'm currently riding a 2016 Vstrom 1000 and loving every minute on it and it has a seat with all day long comfort, a great riding position and loads of V twin torque, ever since I sold my TDM I've compared every bike I've owned to it as the benchmark, and this is the nearest yet and would even go as far as it surpasses it  :ambusy: awaiting incoming from that Tvat from Notts, and that Mk2 owner Scouser  :D 

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:52 am

I resemble that remark !  But I know you meant Ramo, not me. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:49 am

Dont know a Scouse twat with a mk2, mines a mk1 but i know i'm a twat so must be me :P  anyway i reckon a Versys 1000 is a better choice than a Vstrom mucka.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:55 pm

I can see the new KTM doing well. 189kg and upto 280 miles...tons of torque.

https://youtu.be/UE4oTjNBpuk?t=170

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:50 pm

Dont know a Scouse twat with a mk2, mines a mk1 but i know i'm a twat so must be me :P  anyway i reckon a Versys 1000 is a better choice than a Vstrom mucka.

Bit insulting to Aircooled eh. :lol:

I agree, the Versys 1000 is a great bike by all accounts, albeit having 4 cyls.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:57 pm

Lol, I'm not the only on that has been eagerly waiting for the big reveal. Forums are overheating with similar views to your's OP.

I believe the T7 is curb weight and the KTM is dry weight.

The KTM is really intriguing, but crikey, it's fugly.

The T7 has a longer wheelbase than an S10, whats that about? Be good on gravel I suppose.

Looks like a little boy will have to wait another couple of years.... Quite a few bikes in the same class are coming out now or soon. Yamaha may well have really dropped the ball with this.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#12 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:01 pm

Bit insulting to Aircooled eh. :lol:

I agree, the Versys 1000 is a great bike by all accounts, albeit having 4 cyls.

I knew he meant me see, cos i was on a mk2 last time he saw me innit.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#13 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:09 pm

The KTM is really intriguing, but crikey, it's fugly.

Also it's their first parallel twin. But i've got to say that knowing KTM it will be a 'pure riding experience' (i saw it in an advert somewhere)  I think it will be the most rewarding at least

#14 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:02 pm

jono49, on 11 Nov 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:snapback.png

Go have a test ride on a Suzuki vstrom 1000 before you dive in on the Tenere! I think this 700 is going to be another Africa twin ( Have a look how many S/H ones are floating about) It's not a common sense bike at all, and you may look good on this, but your arse will be in shreds on a long tour, all these modern bikes are the same seats like planks of wood, I'm currently riding a 2016 Vstrom 1000 and loving every minute on it and it has a seat with all day long comfort, a great riding position and loads of V twin torque, ever since I sold my TDM I've compared every bike I've owned to it as the benchmark, and this is the nearest yet and would even go as far as it surpasses it   :ambusy: awaiting incoming from that Tvat from Notts, and that Mk2 owner Scouser   :D

Jono 69 - Question regarding the steps you must use to mount the vbomb do you tow them or tie them to ya top box  :dunno:

Cliff you are right the Versys is a far superior bike in every way possible  :good:

Edited by ramo, 12 November 2018 - 09:03 pm.

#15 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:09 pm

I'm not as short in the leg as you.....Short arse :groucho:

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#16 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:22 am

Begs the question just why are all bikes getting taller? some ridiculously so :unsure2:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#17 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:44 am

I rode a V Strom before buying my first 9er, liked it but it was pricey compered to the Yam.
Had a test on a Versys earlier this year and was impressed, also liked the 800 Triumph until I was handed the price.

I seem to remember Yamaha doing this "keep you hanging on thing"with the super10. I waited a while before getting one as the price was reduced. 

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:31 am

Begs the question just why are all bikes getting taller? some ridiculously so :unsure2:

There's a lot of tall people about.

If you sell a bike in the Netherlands, who happen to be the tallest people in Europe, and you have to sell the same bike in Scotland, where the shortest people in Europe live, then I guess you pick the height where most of the sales will be (and not forgetting other countries too). Belgians have got pretty tall recently too !

What's amazing is that 100 years ago the Dutch were the shortest people in Europe.

#19 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:36 am

The question is: why are we not seeing height adjustable seats?
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:01 pm

There's a lot of tall people about.

If you sell a bike in the Netherlands, who happen to be the tallest people in Europe, and you have to sell the same bike in Scotland, where the shortest people in Europe live, then I guess you pick the height where most of the sales will be (and not forgetting other countries too). Belgians have got pretty tall recently too !

What's amazing is that 100 years ago the Dutch were the shortest people in Europe.

Maybe it was due to all that flooding that happened back in the 30's. :P

Some bikes have height adjustable seats, not sure if the versys 1000 has one. :unsure2:   Wonder why the Japanese don't build bikes for short arses ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users