• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PeteMK

PeteMK

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:09 am

Having just adjusted the mirror head to point to the sky by using mud-coated tarmac, rain and gravity (ouch) I now wish to return it to the normal position. But how? What appears to be a ball joint steadfastly refuses to budge: the ring that retains the rubber boot has a notch which looks like it is ready to accept a C-spanner, but as it is plastic it merely starts to give way when pressure is applied. Has my ball joint seized solid, or am i missing something obvious? If it has seized are there any recommended after-market mirrors that would fit - I don't want to spend £90 on an OE replacement.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:17 am

Ooops.

I think Yambits and Wemoto both sell replacement mirrors.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:22 am

Lube and it should move - if it didn't move then you'd.already have a smashed  mirror.

I'd try warm water first and little movements. If still reluctant to move try another fluid that will evaporate cleanly.

WD40 etc. would be a later resort as the mirror may become too loose, you could wash this off later.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 PeteMK

PeteMK

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:50 am

Thanks for the advice. Eventually managed to move the mirror by clamping the stem in a vice and applying a LOT of pressure after wetting the ball joint with water. After it had moved a little, lubricated the joint with Pledge (other brands should work...) and then kept working it backwards and forwards. Now it is fine: needs firm pressure to move, but won't shift by wind pressure.

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:55 am

:clapping:  :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

0 user(s) are reading this topic