176 replies to this topic

#1 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:24 am

I thought this a good time to start a new thread on this topic.

To summarise, I've long thought it worth linking this bunch of mates with others, at least in Europe, to promote the TDM, help each other out, advise on tours and have a bit more fun with other cultures. I know some individuals (dandywarhol, dapleb and others) have European contacts, but I've been thinking about the masses, and particularly newcomers who might not yet have appreciated the opportunities out there and support for touring etc. So to the limits of my schoolroom language memory I contacted the German and French groups (albeit that JBX and others are joint members of the latter) as a friendly Carpe rep. to see if there was any interest in linking. Hanno and his mates from Germany have been the first to respond, and out of that came a trip to their "Megatreff" (RTT equivalent) last year and a minor repeat (go Sagalout!) this year. Others have had a good time in the Dordogne, though sadly we told the French forum of the visit too late to allow any of them to arrange to drop in.

The French group is another good and friendly one, though, and they were disappointed to miss out, so they sent me a suggestion re. a September meeting which unfortunately threatened to clash with the Scottish G2G. Nothing daunted, though, one or two of them were very interested in joining that, but have called off for cost and other reasons. But they were seriously considering a 2500 km round trip for a weekend with you guys!

Along the way, it turned out that the French group had already tried and failed to hook up with the German one, so our initiatives sparked interest in a collective get-together (NB this has left out, for the minute, groups in Italy, Greece, Poland, the Netherlands....)

So
we get to the point that the French and Germans are keen to drive for an international meeting in Europe - either next year or (better suggestion?) 2011 - the 20th anniversary of the TDM. It would take some organising and most of all willingness from all parties, which we could start to review and forum reps could meet next year to firm things up. Is anybody up for it? Wouldn't it be great?

There's been talk of tappng Yamaha for sponsorship, and maybe we could help as there seems to be a problem in France - dapleb and others have long-established relationships with Yamaha UK?

Anyhoo, enough from me - back to you guys for comment before anybody takes this any further. And btw, I do realise that I'm not Carpe PR, lest anybody be concerned that I'm muscling in. On the face of it I'll not be around anyway, as my riding days are on the way out but I'd like to see Carpe take part.

Edited by Pict, 07 February 2010 - 12:51 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#2 Guest_Matt_G_*

Guest_Matt_G_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:43 am

I like the idea of the 20th anniversary. I'd try to make it.

#3 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:56 am

QUOTE(Matt_G @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the idea of the 20th anniversary. I'd try to make it.

Good man!

Mk 1 riders will have enough time to ensure that at least one is still on the road by then.laugh.gif
(But a great promotional point, Yamaha!!)

BTW wouldn't it be nice if mates from the US etc. could make it in some way? Thomas - you'd have a chance to ride a 900........

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#4 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:15 am

Sound great, is this you volunteering to co-ordinate things for the 20th bash then? tongue.gif

PS Nice to have you back
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#5 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:37 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 04:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thomas - you'd have a chance to ride a 900........

Maybe I'll sponsor a 'TDM riders of Pennsylvania G2G' Wait..... that"s me.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#6 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:57 am

QUOTE(Landy @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sound great, is this you volunteering to co-ordinate things for the 20th bash then? tongue.gif PS Nice to have you back
Thanks but I'm not in the best position on the first - there are arguably better (TDM-owning) options and I'm not pushing forward - and the second is a kindly assumption.
QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'll sponsor a 'TDM riders of Pennsylvania G2G' Wait..... that"s me.
Hi Thomas. That's the point - wouldn't it be great to come over and join in? Take out rider insurance - at your age it would be cheap tongue.gif laugh.gif - and borrow? Tony for example will have a collection of spare bikes by then.. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pict, 16 July 2009 - 10:58 am.

#7 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:12 am

I'd try to make that. Been planning a European tour anyways. Might be on a BMW or KTM there instead (buy one there maybe?), unless I can ship mine reasonably. Doesn't matter - sounds fun; I'd try to make the meet.

Robert

#8 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:39 am

Good one Pict.

I would be up for that, 2011.

I could offer some time to help someone organise bits and bobs.

Must tell you that I struggle with english, never mind French and German.

I got 8% in my French GSE .......

Then they found out I had Dyslexia ? hidden.gif

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#9 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:48 am

Gonna watch this space, chances of me bring a bike over are better now than they were before. Plenty time to plan too.

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#10 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:52 am

Great idea. And loads of time to organise it.

That was a short retirement Ian! Welcome back.

Edited by TeDeum, 16 July 2009 - 11:54 am.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#11 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:42 pm

QUOTE(TeDeum @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was a short retirement Ian! Welcome back.

Don't count on it dry.gif

I can barely hold a flamin' bike up atm. unsure.gif

Edited by Pict, 16 July 2009 - 02:45 pm.

#12 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:17 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- and borrow? Tony for example will have a collection of spare bikes by then.. rolleyes.gif

Shouldn't that be 'bike spares' ? laugh.gif

2011 sounds a long way off, but may just give us time to get organised

Stu

#13 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:38 pm

I got a spare TDM sat down in France if any of our colonial cousins need a lend of a steed for this do good.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#14 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:08 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a spare TDM sat down in France if any of our colonial cousins need a lend of a steed for this do good.gif

Good man. Put a first option ticket on it for Thomas - time he tried a change of steed. Which one of your collection is it by the way, and where?

#15 Petrusdu92

Petrusdu92

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:21 pm

Hi Ian

You never sleep?

#16 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:29 pm

QUOTE(Petrusdu92 @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You never sleep?

Not much blink.gif laugh.gif

Hello P and welcome drinks.gif

Edited by Pict, 16 July 2009 - 09:32 pm.

#17 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:58 am

i'd be up ferrit if its 2011

doubtfull.gif wonders if he can persuade his french and german speaking GF to do the organising doubtfull.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#18 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:17 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 16th Jul 2009, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mk 1 riders will have enough time to ensure that at least one is still on the road by then.laugh.gif

ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif hidden.gif

Sounds like a good plan. Not met any of the French crowd yet but the Germans were great and made us feel really welcome at thier Megatref last year. drinks.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:34 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 17th Jul 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'd be up ferrit if its 2011

doubtfull.gif wonders if he can persuade his french and german speaking GF to do the organising doubtfull.gif

good.gif

#20 Lars

Lars

seems to like Carpe

• 73 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:41 pm

*looking around* unsure.gif

Seems that none of the "Germans" chimed in here yet.

I spend a short time to review a map of Europe (AND the UK wink.gif ).
The "German" community ranges as far as Vienna (and even beyond). There is an Italien owners' group that could be interested and on our meeting this year in Berlin we had some visitors from Poland.
Trying to "center" all these groups brings me roughly in the area between Luxembourg and Stuttgart, Frankfurt and Basel.

Next year's G2G of the German forum is situated quite in the center of this region, in the "Pfälzer Wald" which is the northern continuation of the french Vosges region.
Of cource, 2010 does not make the referenced anniversary yet, but I doubt we would delay our (German) meeting by one year just to fulfil this request wink.gif

As far as I heard, the french forum plans (by coincedence) their meeting in the Vosges region next year.
Maybe one of these two planned meetings can be the "seed" for an international meeting (though we always invited international visitors to our previous meetings as well).

That does not mean that we should not celebrate the anniversary with an(other?) international gathering.

JM2C,
Lars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users