155 replies to this topic

#1 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:31 pm

OK guys. I saw Matt's mail about no fettle days and remembering the brilliant one we had last year, I'm going for the same Sunday. If we get the same weather, it should be great - but no valve checks allowed....you know who you are.

Mk 2 owners - I've got loads of bits following the demise of mine.

Ali

Edited by AliG, 04 April 2014 - 09:03 pm.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:18 pm

Nice one Ali. I wouldn't mind doing me chain & sprockets. Be nice to get something achieved, as I normally just watch.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:25 pm

what are folks wanting done ? other than muddy's chain and cogs.

We can work on non TDM's too, even BMW's.  :wacko:

Edited by leehenty, 07 March 2014 - 04:31 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4 xl185greenlaner

xl185greenlaner

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:45 pm

Hello men ( and ladies?)

Very interested in watching a carb fettle (1994 3VD) and having failed miserably when I changed fork seals last time (they leaked again within 6 weeks) doing this with supervision so I can be sure I do it properly(!)

As a noob to tdm's and to fettle days is it ok to watch?

Also my mate would really like to come along for the ride on his Bonneville. Is this ok?

Also really interested in other people's bikes.................

John :istupid:

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:13 pm

Just come along it's a very friendly sort of thing. You're expected to bring quality cake though.

Most fettle days, folks turn up on whatever. Some folks come watch and learn, natter, drink tea, give advice, eat lots of cake and fall about laughing when things don't go quite to plan.

Other folks are more hands on as it were depending on their skill level. The idea is to pass skills and help on to those who need them.

The AliG fettle day catering is legendary.

sort of like this.

http://www.carpe-tdm...lbum&typeid=296

Edited by leehenty, 07 March 2014 - 06:54 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 xl185greenlaner

xl185greenlaner

sticking around

• 38 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:29 pm

S :cake eating: :cake eating: Sounds great........count me in.    Cake is no problem at all!!!

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:48 pm

when I changed fork seals last time (they leaked again within 6 weeks) doing this with supervision so I can be sure I do it properly(!)

Carefully inspect the toobs as when worn they take on a 50pence piece shape rather than rooond toob loike and if this is the case will fail again in short order.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 xl185greenlaner

xl185greenlaner

sticking around

• 38 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:59 pm

Ok thanks for that.  Will check asap

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:55 pm

This = bad

http://www.carpe-tdm...t&attach_id=141

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,445 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:01 pm

what are folks wanting done ? other than muddy's chain and cogs.

We can work on non TDM's too, even BMW's.  :wacko:

I suppose this is the time to fess up to the fact that I have just bought a Tiger 955i. I picked it up yesterday so not sure what needs doing to it yet, but I will certainly be changing the oil and filter. Needless to say, there is no restriction as to make of bike.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#11 xl185greenlaner

xl185greenlaner

sticking around

• 38 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:37 pm

This = bad

http://www.carpe-tdm...t&attach_id=141

My forks don't appear to be badly worn and no obvious scabs etc......but thanks again for the info.........I confess I used cheap pattern parts cos funds were low (and still are!)

#12 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:41 pm

did you wrap a bit of tape around the stanchion when fitting to help slide past the lips ? any small cut will eventually leak. The other thing is worn teflon/bronze bushes in the fork leg were they changed as well ?

#13 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:22 am

Can't make this one, someone else will have to record the event for posterity. :)

Have a good day.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#14 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:34 am

I cant make it either I will be bumbling around Devon that weekend with the AJS/Matchless owners club .. bugger

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#15 xl185greenlaner

xl185greenlaner

sticking around

• 38 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:22 am

did you wrap a bit of tape around the stanchion when fitting to help slide past the lips ? any small cut will eventually leak. The other thing is worn teflon/bronze bushes in the fork leg were they changed as well ?

No, I was in too much of a hurry to try to get it road ready........I know, I know. ......I was hoping new seals would do the job cos the bike had only done 19000 miles and had been off the road for 12 years.  I was hoping the seals had deteriorated and everything else would be ok. :punishment:

#16 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:25 am

I suppose this is the time to fess up to the fact that I have just bought a Tiger 955i. I picked it up yesterday so not sure what needs doing to it yet, but I will certainly be changing the oil and filter. Needless to say, there is no restriction as to make of bike.

Look forward to seeing and hearing about it. I fancied one of them.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#17 Frajt

Frajt

Lost at Sea

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:04 pm

. ............ If we get the same weather, it should be great - but no valve checks allowed....you know who you are. 
Ali

Point well made Ali...... ;-))

Hope to come along and promise not to monopolise all the expertise.
At risk of doing something exciting!

#18 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:56 pm

I'm at a beer festival the night before so I'll see how I feel in the morning :D

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:01 pm

I'm at a beer festival the night before so I'll see how I feel in the morning :D

Rough!!

Well if you can go on a Triumph Ali I may as well upset the apple cart totally and bring the GS!  :hide:

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:09 pm

I may as well upset the apple cart totally

Oooh Beer festival followed by zyder festival. :drinks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users