leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:38 pm

Rough!!

Well if you can go on a Triumph Ali I may as well upset the apple cart totally and bring the GS!  :hide:

Since the UKGS'ers meet, I find myself looking out for airheads lately  :unsure2:

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#22 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:40 pm

Bring the helmet old boy and I may trust you out on her!  :good:

#23 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:13 am

They can't be that good if owners still come to carpe to get their bikes fixed. :P

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#24 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:58 am

They can't be that good if owners still come to carpe to get their bikes fixed. :P

:lol:  Sorry Matt could'nt resist a giggle at that, i do like the GS though  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#25 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:47 pm

At dmmsta's fettle day, we were nearly overrun with the BMW's. I'll have a test, for research purposes only ya know.

They still suffer from rusty screws, so they will need sorting out. I think you need a computer device to service them. GS-911 or similar.

Matt will be able to tell us, he must be a BMW  GS expert by now. I don't think BMW clutch change at a fettle day is on the cards you have to chop the bike in half.

Their a twin ain't they? just the pistons, crank and cylinders are facing the wrong way round  :rolleyes:

Edited by leehenty, 09 March 2014 - 03:03 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#26 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:52 pm

:P  Studders and Cliff!!

I come back cos there isn't a better bunch of reprobates out there. And Mr Henty is a must with some of these bolts!!

GS-911 check  :good:  Got one old boy so no worries there. You only need it to balance carbs, clear warnings, Test all the sensors etc etc :rolleyes: . On the PC you can have real time readings from everything for tuning and fault diagnosis In fact with a decent smartphone you can do it on the side of the road so you can carry on after you clear the faults. The smartphone program is a bonus. Granted the clutch is a pig to do but my mate who has done one reckons not as bad as folk make out. If you plan correctly there are a load of jobs you can do together.

Edited by Matt101, 09 March 2014 - 03:53 pm.

#27 xl185greenlaner

xl185greenlaner

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:19 pm

:P  Studders and Cliff!!

I come back cos there isn't a better bunch of reprobates out there. And Mr Henty is a must with some of these bolts!!

GS-911 check  :good:  Got one old boy so no worries there. You only need it to balance carbs, clear warnings, Test all the sensors etc etc :rolleyes: . On the PC you can have real time readings from everything for tuning and fault diagnosis In fact with a decent smartphone you can do it on the side of the road so you can carry on after you clear the faults. The smartphone program is a bonus. Granted the clutch is a pig to do but my mate who has done one reckons not as bad as folk make out. If you plan correctly there are a load of jobs you can do together.

I phoned my 850 this afternoon after I read this but the fork seals still leak.

#28 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:22 pm

I phoned my 850 this afternoon after I read this but the fork seals still leak.

computer said no

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#29 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:48 pm

Old bike must still be on 'Dial Up'

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#30 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:41 pm

:lol:  Sorry Matt could'nt resist a giggle at that, i do like the GS1150 though  :good:

Fixed it now  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#31 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:33 pm

Carpe TDM forum must be better than the BMW GS one.  It's why folks stay.

I can manage a BMW clutch, just helped sort one on an ancient clockwork R80/7 up the road.

Still banging along with about 140K on the crank, new pistons, barrels and rings, and recon cylinder heads new valves and hard seats at 134K as it had a sizeable oil habit.

Most bits are still available. Gearbox indexing roller jammed at 103K, was made of nylon and no longer round.

A bronze one was made up to fit and been fine ever since.

#32 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:15 pm

I was wondering about whether it would be too much to do a back tyre change as well as the chain and sprockets. My rear needs changing and I've had a rim leaks since both front and rear were fitted last by FWR. If it's too much bother and time I'll leave it and take it to the brothers Russell.

this looks an interesting method

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#33 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:16 pm

That looks really clever. I've changed all my own tyres for many, many years.

Last few years, I'm finding too many new sites of pain after wrestling tyres off and new ones on.

Co-incidentally I have a big bag of 24" cable ties, 'found' during last election. Bloke tying election poster to pole outside my house.

#34 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:55 pm

That looks really clever. I've changed all my own tyres for many, many years.

Last few years, I'm finding too many new sites of pain after wrestling tyres off and new ones on.

Co-incidentally I have a big bag of 24" cable ties, 'found' during last election. Bloke tying election poster to pole outside my house.

never done it, but after the last tyre change I had two bad rim leaks. Tyre shop said it was Ultraseal that corroded the rims, but I've searched and searched and found just a couple of examples of people saying tyre sealant causes the problem. So I want to see for myself.

#35 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:04 pm

I was wondering about whether it would be too much to do a back tyre change as well as the chain and sprockets. My rear needs changing and I've had a rim leaks since both front and rear were fitted last by FWR. If it's too much bother and time I'll leave it and take it to the brothers Russell.

this looks an interesting method

That looks interesting. I've been changing my own tyres for ages and have got a bead breaker and tyre levers, but if you get some big zip ties we can gave a go. I watched the other video on utube where he takes the tyre off. Made it look so easy.

Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#36 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:08 am

May be a bit harder with a new tyre.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#37 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:10 am

never done it, but after the last tyre change I had two bad rim leaks. Tyre shop said it was Ultraseal that corroded the rims, but I've searched and searched and found just a couple of examples of people saying tyre sealant causes the problem. So I want to see for myself.

It could also be lack of attention to cleaning the rims before they put on new tyres muddy and i would suspect old tyre lube from the previous set causing the issue !!

#38 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:16 am

Interesting technique but I'd be wary of trying it on a fettle day in case you get the old tyre off and can't get the new one on.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#39 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:24 am

Interesting technique but I'd be wary of trying it on a fettle day in case you get the old tyre off and can't get the new one on.

that's what I was thinking. I do plan on trying that one day though.

Shame, as there's a new Avon Storm 2 for £75 on ebay.

It could also be lack of attention to cleaning the rims before they put on new tyres muddy and i would suspect old tyre lube from the previous set causing the issue !!

yeah dabs, it's so rare that I can only put it down to not cleaning off properly. Thing is I was only sitting in the office reading mags and would've happily cleaned up the wheel while he was taking the front tyre off if he had moaned. I know their margins are slim and the fitters don't earn a lot though, so I understand to a degree that they'd get pee'd off having to deal with slime as well.

That looks interesting. I've been changing my own tyres for ages and have got a bead breaker and tyre levers, but if you get some big zip ties we can gave a go. I watched the other video on utube where he takes the tyre off. Made it look so easy.

Ali

probably not worth experimenting if I've got chain and sprockets to do Ali, but it would've saved me a lot of dosh to do it

#40 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:03 pm

that's what I was thinking. I do plan on trying that one day though.

Shame, as there's a new Avon Storm 2 for £75 on ebay.

yeah dabs, it's so rare that I can only put it down to not cleaning off properly. Thing is I was only sitting in the office reading mags and would've happily cleaned up the wheel while he was taking the front tyre off if he had moaned. I know their margins are slim and the fitters don't earn a lot though, so I understand to a degree that they'd get pee'd off having to deal with slime as well.

probably not worth experimenting if I've got chain and sprockets to do Ali, but it would've saved me a lot of dosh to do it

If it proves to be a problem with the cable tie method, I've got all the gear to do it the usual way. Just a thought.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users