4 replies to this topic

#1 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:49 pm

Headline says it really. Today I had a test ride on said bike at Eddy's of Shipley near Bradford. Firstly I must say what a nice guy Eddy is. He took me through the general layout of the bike, made sure there was plenty of petrol in the tank, pointed out the best roads to take for a decent ride (I'd no idea as I live in Hull - big city with no Enfield or Triumph dealers - investors please note) and generally sent me on my way with a smile. AND after the ride made no great hard sell whatsoever.

Any road up, back to the bike. I found it nicely finished, comfortable riding position and everything where it should be. Unsurprisingly I guess it felt very 'British' to me (apparently all the R+D and design has been done in Britain). The 650 motor was an absolute gem being very torquey and smooth - it's got a 270 degree crank a la TDM. The brakes were superb and the twin analogue clocks looked far nicer than a cheapo digital display like most bikes have these days.

The riding position whilst being very comfortable at lower speeds did cause problems above about 60mph as the bike was completely naked without even a fly screen to deflect the wind. I took the bike up to about 80 and at this point the front end started to seem a bit light for my liking. So for quicker riding flatter bars would be needed, but for pottering around country lanes at 50 to 60 the stock ones are fine. The Continental GT model has lower bars and rear set footrests and I'm told easily tops the ton.

I rode the bike for an hour or so around the Pennine twisties and really loved it, but my only problem is that my TDM900 is better in almost every department apart from low down smoothness (of course). But I suppose that is an unfair comparison because the 9er is not trying to be a retro. Having said that, if I was seriously in the market for a retro,I would definitely  consider the Enfield, and at half the price of a Bonneville for me it would be a no-brainer.

Riggers.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:32 pm

Must be a TDM thing then as one of the TDM's I was going to see was being sold as the guy had just bought a royal enfield interceptor, unfortunately someone beat me to it which was a bugger as the piccies looked mint and low mileage.

I take it you didn't splash out then.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:00 pm

Must be a TDM thing then as one of the TDM's I was going to see was being sold as the guy had just bought a royal enfield interceptor, unfortunately someone beat me to it which was a bugger as the piccies looked mint and low mileage.

I take it you didn't splash out then.

Nope didn't buy one mate. However something rather spooky happened when I got home. Eddy (the guy at the shop) last words to me were '£5,500 and she's yours'.

So when I got home there were two messages for me. The first said some old shares I'd had for years in a telecom company had been sold to another company and a cheque for £3000 was on its way. The second message was from the bank and said a monthly savings account I'd been running was about to mature and with interest would be worth £2500!!

Very nice, but very s p o o k y.......

#4 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:23 pm

Nope didn't buy one mate. However something rather spooky happened when I got home. Eddy (the guy at the shop) last words to me were '£5,500 and she's yours'.

So when I got home there were two messages for me. The first said some old shares I'd had for years in a telecom company had been sold to another company and a cheque for £3000 was on its way. The second message was from the bank and said a monthly savings account I'd been running was about to mature and with interest would be worth £2500!!

Very nice, but very s p o o k y.......

New bike on the way then!

We have an Enfield dealer over near Dumfries. I popped in there the other week, more to give a Himalayan a proper one look over. They had the twins in too, tidy looking bikes with a Harris frame.

Edited by Jim, 13 August 2019 - 07:25 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#5 gautrek

gautrek

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:45 am

Myself and a few others from my section of the vintage bike club got invited to Enfield's tech center in Bruntingthorp in Leicestershire the other weekend. One of my mates works there. They are a very forward looking company and have a few nice projects coming down the line. We got treated to a good look round and then had a nice curry with all the trimmings and beer for lunch.

I do fancy one of the interceptors but can't justify spending that amount of money on a new bike.

Interested in very very old bikes with the ocasional newish one thrown in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users