#1 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:21 pm

Had a look around the forum but could not find anything on air horns.

Can they be fitted to the TDM. ?

Went out today and some Bottom wipe was too busy talking to see me.. press horn...... Sqquuuuueeeeeekkkkk.
He hardly looked up thinking it must be a pushbike coming not a bloody great big green thing.

I have a decent set of horns in the garage and played around a bit earlier. Compressor will fit and the battery will fire it up nicely, but I'm stuck on the horns.

Directions please. tongue.gif

#2 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:37 pm

Stebel magnum seems popular, its compact and easy to fit(although i still havent fitted mine yet)
if you want a dual tone and something louder try the Steble Nautilus, its not as compact and its designed for cars but should work

some people have used Fiamm horns, but i dont know anything about those

i think the Steble Magnum is available from Halfords for £15-20

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#3 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:57 pm

Have you though of Motrax Hootaz, 130dB for £9.99 from M and P's they fit under side fairings.

http://www.carpe-tdm...o...2&hl=hootaz

Edited by Daveb, 15 September 2007 - 05:00 pm.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#4 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:51 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Sat 15th Sep 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stebel magnum seems popular, its compact and easy to fit(although i still havent fitted mine yet)
if you want a dual tone and something louder try the Steble Nautilus, its not as compact and its designed for cars but should work

some people have used Fiamm horns, but i dont know anything about those

i think the Steble Magnum is available from Halfords for £15-20

A Steble Magnum will have yer fillings dropping out........see here fitted to my TDM900 '04
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#5 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:58 pm

Done it, what do ya think? Be honest with me, were all on the same side, don't hold back now. I think a Pro Job.

#6 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:02 pm

aaaawwwwooooooogggga........aaaawwwwooooooogggga.........

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#7 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:33 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 15th Sep 2007, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Done it, what do ya think? Be honest with me, were all on the same side, don't hold back now. I think a Pro Job.

Yeh, suits a Mk I, adds to its butch looks. Probably look out of place on a 900.
Can you make them alternate and go "Neee Naaa"?

#8 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:40 pm

Right, back to the real world. I am going to have a go at fitting these in a bit. I reckon that the horns will go under the fairing where you chaps have been fitting the metal horns, and the compressor will go under the seat. I have a length of tubing to connect.

Thanks for the links. If I fail then I will browse HalTurds tomorrow. cool.gif

#9 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:55 pm

I've had lovely pairs of Fiamm horns on some of my BMWs, very nice sound and loud as well. Maybe you can get a pair on eBay or from a breaker, there must be thousands of them since they were standard fitment on many of the faired air-cooled boxers. Don't go for the single ones, it's just not the same wink.gif .
I also think the OE horns are a bit poor. On my bike it only gets used during MOTs so I can't really be bothered. However, if you go on holiday to Italy, you can't do without them wink.gif

Weyhey, look at these babies:
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=150160652193

Edited by robelst, 15 September 2007 - 08:59 pm.

That was not a banana, Dougal

#10 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:58 pm

One Hour later and a Mug O Tea, I have managed to find 2 brackets and the horns have been fitted. Bloody close to the forks when turning, but OK cool.gif

Changed my mind on the compressor under the seat too. Much easier to go near the old horn. Me thinks some pics would be nice. I'll post back here in a bit

Tally Ho!! banana.gif

#11 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:58 pm

Took me 90 mins off n on but all done. The only thing I'm not happy with is the nylon ties to hold the compressor. But it's secure. Pics attached. When the fairing's on you cant really see them but Boy are they loud.

ChrisG, dont you have a sound monitor thingymejig?

Edited by CatsBum, 15 September 2007 - 10:02 pm.

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:33 pm

jaysus people will tink it's the QE2 steaming thru the fog !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:02 pm

nice cool.gif
are you gonna paint em green ? tongue.gif

My TDM :

#14 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:04 pm

rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

#15 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:56 am

Holy crap, you really have got the horn haven't you blink.gif

Nope, not me with a sound meter I'm afraid.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#16 ajfergie

ajfergie

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 03:47 pm

Hi lads, i fitted a pair ot the hootaz to my tdm a few months back
they carry a warning not to be used to scare old ladies
mmmm...

#17 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:56 pm

I saw where you mounted them on the outside of fairing, and my first thought was of filling trumpets with paintballs. Be marvellous for spotting pedestrians.

#18 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:02 pm

Dances, your avatar is driving me mad!!!

#19 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:16 pm

That's easy. I printed it onto a t-shirt and nearly drove everyone mad.

#20 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:17 pm

Went to work today and found a new use for my airhorns: Just press the button when sitting by a car with a chump on his phone. He gets pissed off as he can't talk, I'm laughing as I'm sure he wet his pants as well.

I like my horns I do wub.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users