• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dalmatino

Dalmatino

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:02 am

Good day all....Previous TDM 850 owner here contemplating on getting another TDM if I can find a nice example here in Canada or US. Since we have no options for anything newer than 91-93, I was wondering if a 900cc motor will bolt up in those years frames. I'm sure someone has figured this out already. If this is posible I would be more eager to buy and build an older bike that I prefer with newer components.
I sold my TDM's (both 91 black) in 2001 when the 2002 Vstroms came out and jumping ship to one of those. I still have a soft spot for TDM's but would prefer the 900 FI and 6 spd motor. I figure I could buy these parts from Europe.

All info would be useful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks.......V

#2 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:18 am

Couldn't you buy and import a whole bike, an early TDM900 can be had for not that much money.
I know a mate of mine imported 2 cars and a bike when he moved from England to Australia, it was about £2500 for a 20 foot container, if you can find somebody moving to Canada from England you could rent space in their container saving loads.

Just an idea.

I know the mkII engine fits in the mkI, the issues you may have is accommodating the fuel injection pump etc. in the mkI tank, plus you'd need the loom and dash I figure, unless you're gonna go down a third party ECU, which isn't a bad idea even for a standard 9er and the power commander kits are way too expensive in my opinion.

#3 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:15 am

The engine mount points are totally different
At the very least you are going to have modify the frame and make additional mounts
I haven't established yet if sprockets&chain will line up but I guess they would....

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#4 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:48 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Thu 5th Aug 2010, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The engine mount points are totally different
At the very least you are going to have modify the frame and make additional mounts
I haven't established yet if sprockets&chain will line up but I guess they would....

Umm...Modify the frame doubtfull.gif

Done it once for front end doubtfull.gif

No no no I must put that idea out of my head........

Umm my bike is starting to use oil....... Nooooooo

I must resist.........

I must res.....

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#5 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:54 am

Resistance is futile laugh.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#6 Dalmatino

Dalmatino

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:24 pm

Thanks guys,
The only way I could import it is in parts and than I wouldn't be able to register it since it wasn't sold in Canada after 91. I tried this before in the late 90's.
I figured that if the motor bolted up I could either bolt up carbs to it and use the 91 ecu and wiring, or install the complete electrics with FI from 02 and up 900.
I've done things like this before with other bikes and know anything can be done if one really wants to, but theres a point where too much refitting just isn't worth it.
If the motor wont bolt up fairly easy than theres not much sense.

Someone, somwhere along the way must have at least looked at this closely.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:07 pm

There is a mk1 wiv a 900 engine. It's Red and Yellow, TDX on the tank and I think it resides in Spain.

Pwoof smile.gif

Sooo, it can be done !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:09 pm

looks like they have fitted a Triumph ST or daytona single sided swing arm and wheel in the pic of the TDx

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:36 pm

yule have ta use a 1996 onwards MKII ecu as the firing order is different to your bike, i don't tink a TDM 900 ecu will run without all the sensors 'feeding it'. I tink a TDM 900 motor will run off carbs with a bit of fannying about getting the jetting roight, plus yule have ta add a second coil.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 Dalmatino

Dalmatino

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:06 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Thu 5th Aug 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a mk1 wiv a 900 engine. It's Red and Yellow, TDX on the tank and I think it resides in Spain.Pwoof smile.gifSooo, it can be done !
Wow thats real sweet...Well, the package, but the paint scheme is not so much for my taste.
QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Thu 5th Aug 2010, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yule have ta use a 1996 onwards MKII ecu as the firing order is different to your bike, i don't tink a TDM 900 ecu will run without all the sensors 'feeding it'. I tink a TDM 900 motor will run off carbs with a bit of fannying about getting the jetting roight, plus yule have ta add a second coil.
Very good info wicklamulla, thank you.

#11 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

• 9,336 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:22 am

if you are going to do it i'd swap not just the engine, take the fuel injection, all the electrics(ecu, switchgear, clocks etc) and do a complete swap. that will be easier
i'd look for a crash damaged non-abs model wink.gif

My TDM :

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users