• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:46 am

So what's the deal with the hagon shock for the 850 being longer ? Mine is a real pain in the are it makes mine just to tall for me and wind some peload off so it sinks a bit more then you can't set the rider sag properly ! Bit of a cock up on hagons part ain't it 😕Ive used hagon shocks for years and never had any problems but this is pissing me off.So can the OE shock be rebuilt? If so I'll buy a knackered OE item and have it rebuilt and sell the hagon,any body got a knackered OE shock and fancy a deal ?😃

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:09 am

So what's the deal

5% extra?

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:47 am

So what's the deal with the hagon shock 

Total disregard for the motorcycle, rider and the efforts Yamaha made to make the bike work in the first place. I've been slagging off this piece of TDM aftermarket shoite forever.

Welcome to the "Hagon - Why?" club.

Better putting that extra 5% (if that's what it is), towards a box standard Nitron,

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:53 am

5% was a guess....just incase someone was gonna rely on it fur calkeelations.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:35 pm

Like I say I've never had a problem wit hagon on the whole but this is a right load of b!llox,I believe its about half inch longer which translates to one and half inches or so overall seat height,mine gunnar have to go I like my bike set up right and be able to touch the floor comfortably

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:36 pm

Rumour has it someone in Scotland used to refurb the oem shock, but there seems to be no actual proof of this that I'm aware of.  The spring can be replaced provided you can get the 2 nuts removed, but they tend to sieze to the shock over time.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:58 pm

I had the same trouble when I fitted a Hagon to my first Mk2 about 10 years ago now .........I complained about it because I'm a shortarse too

Fecking thing had me on tiptoe plus I had to weld a bit to the bottom of the side stand  to stop it leaning too far.

They did offer to shorten mine, but reckoned the performance would be impaired - so I stuck with it.

It's a pain in the arse though, & they've had quite a few complaints - so it's nothing new to them - they really should have had it sorted by now, just can't be bothered .

Hagons are very basic anyway, & on the BMW's they have a reputation for collapsing ......Try the refurbishment route ......if anyone can do it, these can ........

http://firefoxracing...hock-servicing/

Worth giving them a call  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#8 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:53 pm

I've just done my side stand it looked like it would fall over and was a bit of a pull to lug it up ,I'll give them a call thanks,there's a guy in Bridlington where I live who reckons he can do it if he can get it apart ,if this fails I'll eBay it and buy another ☺

#9 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:35 pm

Kais are a good suspension company they are near Leigh or Atherton give them a ring. The more places you try a better chance you will have of finding a solution.
My OEM shock works perfectly I am waiting for it to pack up so I will have an excuse to buy a Wilbers to match my front springs.

Edited by Gasman, 03 February 2015 - 07:38 pm.

#10 akirasan

akirasan

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:29 am

I just fitted a YSS shock and it was 10mm longer than standard even though it was advertised a normal.

I am ok with this as it will quicken up the slow front end.

But any manufacturer should make it as per original I know YSS offer a range of lengths

#11 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:29 pm

That's interesting about the YSS.  I was leaning that way because they actually list different lengths for the Mk1 and Mk2.  Hagons only sells one shock for both, which is why Mk1 owners end up with a higher seat height after swapping in a Hagons.  Looks like I might need to save some pennies for a HyperPro, Yacugar, or Wilbers.

#12 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:03 pm

Hagons only sells one shock for both, which is why Mk1 owners end up with a higher seat height after swapping in a Hagons. 

Hagons rise the Mk2 also. I thought Mk1 and Mk2 shocks were the same.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#13 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:33 pm

Hagon do make a shock approx 20mm shorter as well. I know because I have one. 

I bought it  to try and lower bike a bit.

I had not thought about difficulty of lifting bike onto centre stand, so it is still sitting in garage.

#14 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:31 pm

YSS lists the 1991-1995 as 300mm and the 1996-2001 as 310mm.  I believe the Hagons sells one shock for the entire period that is about 310mm long, so it raises the Mk1 seat height by about 30mm.  Yours is the first I've heard about YSS raising the seat height, especially on a Mk2.  Is it possible the difference is just in the spring or preload settings?

#15 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:13 am

Interesting that YSS quote as different lengths.  I fitted a Mk2 shock to my Mk1 and it was definitely the same length.  I later fitted a Hagon and got a local shop to weld a an extension on the bottom of the sidestand, however it was a big improvement over the standard shocks, especially when carrying a pillion or luggage.

Have you considered getting some of these if it makes the bike too tall?

http://www.ebay.co.u...ff14=108&ff19=0

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#16 ssray

ssray

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:33 pm

I had a hagon on m mk1, i took it to revs racing and they offerd to fit a softer spring, but you can`t get the big castellated nut thing off, they did wonder what rate spring hagon were using, i was going to cut the top mount to make it a bit thinner and weld it up after, then I got a std one off of here

#17 jellypops

jellypops

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:14 pm

http://www.ebay.co.u...ff14=108&ff19=0[/quote]

Er No funnily enough I havent lol

What do you mean cut the top mount ssray ?

Edited by jellypops, 05 February 2015 - 09:16 pm.

#18 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:19 am

Interesting that YSS quote as different lengths.  I fitted a Mk2 shock to my Mk1 and it was definitely the same length.  I later fitted a Hagon and got a local shop to weld a an extension on the bottom of the sidestand, however it was a big improvement over the standard shocks, especially when carrying a pillion or luggage.

http://www.ebay.co.u...ff14=108&ff19=0

:rotflmmfao:

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#19 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:52 am

YSS lists the 1991-1995 as 300mm and the 1996-2001 as 310mm.  I believe the Hagons sells one shock for the entire period that is about 310mm long, so it raises the Mk1 seat height by about 30mm.  Yours is the first I've heard about YSS raising the seat height, especially on a Mk2.  Is it possible the difference is just in the spring or preload settings?

Hagon do make a shock approx 20mm shorter as well. I know because I have one. 

I bought it  to try and lower bike a bit.

I had not thought about difficulty of lifting bike onto centre stand, so it is still sitting in garage.

A few years back I ordered a new Hagon shock for my '93 850 that was shorter as well. It works great with the 17" front wheel. I ordered it off ebay and shipped here to the U.S. I can't find a listing one on ebay now but for sure they made one to lower the mk1's.

#20 davsil

davsil

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 50 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:07 pm

I bought a hagon probably around 8 or 9 years ago, i had heard they made a longer shock as well as the standard so i rang them, they said they made the longer shock cause thats what they thought should have been on the bike, but did say they would supply the standard length.   I went for the hagon longer one, fitted it raised the height just over an inch which suited me.   The handling and lean improved dramatically and is still great 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users