Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:42 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 9th Mar 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the only way to make space is to mangle the swingarm mount

Nope, done this twice now without any damage! There are photos here somewhere trying to find em.

EDIT: Ahh the photos got destroyed in the great overzealous cleansing process of 2008. You are just gonna have to take my word ferret. smile.gif
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#22 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:58 pm

I cut my seized shock out with a 4" angle grinder - you can get extra thin cutting discs for 'em at Wickes
They are less than a millimetre thick, so room isn't a problem good.gif
It's never the bolt seizing in the mount anyways - always seizes onto the bush

If you're 6' 7" - you've no problem with the standard Hagon shock - it raises the rear end about 30mm
I welded a bit of 25mm square hollow section onto the bottom of my sidestand to straighten her up.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#23 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:01 pm

We had the swingarm and shock off the bike and couldn't get a hacksaw blade between the shock and the mount. Mind you we wanted the shock intact rather than the swinger, I guess you folks wouldn't have minded damaging the end of the shock a bit.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#24 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:35 pm

Dug out some pics:

Having made a mm or so gap with gentle persuasion:

Attached File  shock_space.JPG   62.61KB   84 downloads

Give it a buzz with reciprocating saw or similar.......the bolts is soft as chutney so its not hard work:

Attached File  shock_buzzed.JPG   52.79KB   136 downloads

Jobs a carrot:

Attached File  swing_after.JPG   34.3KB   67 downloads

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#25 Jingo

Jingo

sticking around

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:33 pm

Thanks for all the help, I'm gonna have a word with a mechanic I use quite often and see how much he thinks, if its reasonable I'll probably take it in but if its extortionate I'll probably attempt to do the job myself, I'll update you all on how it goes!

Have no idea how long its even been like that, I only discovered it today but thinking back, I can't recall any obvious change in comfort with the seat, it could have been like that for months! Scary thought wacko.gif

#26 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:43 pm

MattW may PM you, seems the locking nut has jiggled off his shock...
thought you could help as you will be getting a new shock. Models 2000/2001 so would fit.

Linked him to here, and here is the link to his thread.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#27 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:54 pm

QUOTE(Jingo @ Mon 9th Mar 2009, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the help, I'm gonna have a word with a mechanic I use quite often

Sounds like a good plan. Since its highly likely to be seized it could get a tad fiddly.

#28 Jankers

Jankers

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:38 am

Jingo,

If you decide to do it yourself, give me a shout, if you can get it here we can have a go together.

J.

#29 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:41 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 9th Mar 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the only way to make space is to mangle the swingarm mount

Couldn't you drill out the bolt?

Stu

#30 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:05 pm

Yup that too....though ya need to hold the bush with thin nosed moleys or summat as it will just spin otherwise.

#31 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:29 pm

we needed the shock more than we needed the swingarm, so ...... bye bye swingarm

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#32 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:39 pm

No wonder you buy so many parts. smile.gif

#33 Jingo

Jingo

sticking around

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:00 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone, would have tried to bring it over to yours again Jankers but given the state of the shock really don't fancy riding it too far. Garage has quoted me £300 including fitting for it which seems pretty reasonable so I think I'll take it in to get repaired, though they've always been good - considering the last garage quoted me nearly £600 for the job!

Its using the Hagon shock as well so should hopefully do a good job. I'll ask them to give me the remnants of the shock back if its not in too bad nick, as I seem to recall reading somewhere on here that they might need a bit from it?

#34 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:53 pm

Interesting about the spring coil is there any info on the length when it is new as my shock seems to compress about 1" more when im sat on the bike, as i can nearly put feet nearly flat on the ground now where as before just the toe front of my boots damping seems to work ok though.

#35 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:22 pm

QUOTE(Jingo @ Mon 9th Mar 2009, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny you should mention that, I'm a pretty lofty 6 ft 7 so its possibly one of the better upgrades I could make smile.gif. Does this affect the sidestand massively? I don't have a centrestand, and don't really want to incur the expense of getting one if I can avoid it, looks like I'll be splashing out a bit already.

Re the sidestand I had to weld a piece on the end. I cut up an old Golf GTi steering linkage and welded it to the end...worked great ...see the thread "Extending The Side-stand, side-stand" as i have some pix in there as well.

The centrestand i bought from EBay is pretty messy. I had to modify the brackets as the footrests ended up floppy - have a look at the thrad "Need To Buy A Centre-stand, Center-Stand" and there is a video clip I posted there to explain the heartache of an SW-Mototech stand. There are plenty of others available, just do a search on this site and there are numeroud entries. It's a pain in the ass not having one as standard I think.
Hope that helps - apw

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#36 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:48 pm

QUOTE(Jingo @ Tue 10th Mar 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seem to recall reading somewhere on here that they might need a bit from it?

MattW has lost his 'locking nut' wacko.gif Look in the post up here.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#37 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:39 am

QUOTE(Jingo @ Tue 10th Mar 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all the help everyone, would have tried to bring it over to yours again Jankers but given the state of the shock really don't fancy riding it too far. Garage has quoted me £300 including fitting for it which seems pretty reasonable so I think I'll take it in to get repaired, though they've always been good - considering the last garage quoted me nearly £600 for the job!

Its using the Hagon shock as well so should hopefully do a good job. I'll ask them to give me the remnants of the shock back if its not in too bad nick, as I seem to recall reading somewhere on here that they might need a bit from it?

Hagon rear shock available...

post #13 refers.

http://www.carpe-tdm...o...=11657&st=0

pm if of any use.

Mike

RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#38 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:28 pm

When mine went, it went in the same place that yours has. And despite my efforts at hacking at the bolt I couldn't budge it. So I got a s/h shock from a breakers for £60 and the garage I use replaced it for £70 (2 hours labour). They didn't damage the mounting on the swingarm, but they did have to use a helluva lot of heat to loosen it....

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users