#181 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:22 pm

Looking great! Like you, I'm not sure of the cam cover.............................

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#182 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:58 am

Yeah it will be getting changed at some point. I have a spare one so i will send that off for powder coating and swap it over

#183 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:15 am

Been quiet for a while, just slowly working my way through the bike cleaning and replacing bits as required. 

I have given the throttle bodies a basic clean. They are clean but quite tarnished. I couldn't be bothered to go right through them given I will be fitting my new ones at some point. 

Xbzug6z.jpg

current status

ngzXsS6.jpg

Trying to find space for the extra length of cabling for the ignijet ecu has been problematic. Should be worth it in the end. 

z8UpW2p.jpg

#184 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:24 pm

Im using pwm to regulate fuel with no return line.
My charging system is dire on the xs.
So Im fitting a Bosch fuel pressure sensor.
As regards lamda sensor is it right that ignijet doesnt like it permanently connected?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#185 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:14 pm

While you have all that stuff off the top of the engine it is worth doing the cold start mechanism modification - that area looks untouched on the photo above.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#186 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:43 pm

While you have all that stuff off the top of the engine it is worth doing the cold start mechanism modification - that area looks untouched on the photo above.

It's been done - around 2009  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#187 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:10 pm

and

It's been done - around 2009  :pimp:

and again in 2018! it was siezed solid.
its going in the bin in 2019/2020 when i fit the new TBs

#188 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:53 pm

wheels refurbed. 

Stuck with the 18" front as I loved the way the bike handled the rougher road up Scotland and I don't want to compromise that. 

I've gone up to a YZF750SP rear wheel as 

a) it can take a 180 tyre

b) I had one in the garage

and c) it looks cool. 

Both fitted with new Bridgstone T30 Evo sport touring tyres. yum. 

L3vAZOO.jpg

ysbPD3R.jpg

Edited by Coxylaad, 06 March 2019 - 03:45 pm.

#189 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:08 pm

Looks good :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#190 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:37 pm

looking good, i wonder what the handling will be like with a 180 tyre at the rear....at least you know you can go down to a 17" at the front if you need to tweak it :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#191 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:40 am

well you get the usual pile of experts telling you that the bike will be slower and harder to turn than if it had a 160 on, however I don't hear R6 or Fazer owners, (or litre bike owners if you want to take it a step further) complaining that the bikes are hard to turn.  I know there is more at play that just tyre sizes in how a bike handles, however if you follow the analogy through we are almost getting to the point where we are saying the TDM will turn better than a bike with a bigger tyre. I doubt that very much.  the ducati daivel has something stupid like a 240 section rear, long wheel base and really lazy steering head angle, and that handles great. 

I am going to stick my neck out and say it will make sod all difference. That said I still have the original wheel if I want to go back. but I doubt I will.  

#192 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:32 am

well you get the usual pile of experts telling you that the bike will be slower and harder to turn than if it had a 160 on, however I don't hear R6 or Fazer owners, (or litre bike owners if you want to take it a step further) complaining that the bikes are hard to turn.  I know there is more at play that just tyre sizes in how a bike handles, however if you follow the analogy through we are almost getting to the point where we are saying the TDM will turn better than a bike with a bigger tyre. I doubt that very much.  the ducati daivel has something stupid like a 240 section rear, long wheel base and really lazy steering head angle, and that handles great. 

I am going to stick my neck out and say it will make sod all difference. That said I still have the original wheel if I want to go back. but I doubt I will.  

It will be interesting. I've read about how its more the combination of front/rear which brings all the pieces together.  I'm right up the edge of my 160 rear on the 900 but there's at least 5mm of untouched edge on my front (17" front, if that's relevant0, but that's quite common from what i've seen of other bikes too.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#193 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:08 pm

yes, even on track I don't get to the edge of the front, its just the profile differences. 

honestly when you look at different brand tyres the same size there are some huge differences.  It cant make that much difference. I will report back :)

#194 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:46 pm

Well when you see a 180 on the MT07 and 9 i have to agree, prolly wont make a difference.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#195 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:44 pm

Update:

I have finished and filled the cooling system renewing all the rubber pipes to silcone jobbies as they were showing their age.

Following the fit of the YZF750 rear wheel I have had to take steps to sort out the rear caliper. 
It wouldn't be my bike if I didn't have any completely custom parts on it, I have had to make some new spacers on the right hand side so the caliper carrier sits square over the top of the rear disc. 

basically this is the problem:

Ce05MLH.jpg

now that the caliper carrier is slightly more inboard, the swing arm mounting point doesnt line up. 

So I did this:

S5hUHef.jpg

yms6Los.jpg

I am nowhere near competent enough to attempt a job like that with the potential consequences of it failing, so farmed it out to a welder fabricator mate. job looks really nice. 

In hindsight I could have also spaced the brake disc off the wheel, but I think this is a better more permanent solution. 

Now this is quite interesting (to me):

I thought I had mentioned that I had abandoned making the exhaust job as it wasn't coming together to the standard I wanted. all those welds so close together was causing a lot of heat distortion and it was looking like a bit of a frankenpipe. I managed to sell the TRX 42mm 2 into 2 system which gave me the funds to purchase that system from Greece off ebay. 

I have got talking to that guy that makes the exhausts, he makes loads of performance parts for the tdm. Over in Greece the TDM is extremely popular and they use them as entry level drag bikes, run them on methanol or turbo them.  

Was talking to him about my plans for throttle bodies, he was saying they don't give a lot on their own, but combined with other mods they release a reasonable amount of torque on the low mid range (unexpected) and a couple of extra ponies up top. That is perfect to me. I love the mid range punch the bike has and any beefing that up would be great. 

He was saying a good normally aspirated setup produces 95 to 110rwhp. 
I think the extra power is achieved by raising the rev limit. I am not chasing max power figures, I want solid reliability. I might knock the rev limit up 500rpm over stock, im sure my carrilo rods could handle that. 

he was saying what I will definitely need is one of his uprated billet clutch baskets - anyone had problems with them starting to fail? thinking about it my father in laws trx tdm900 hybrid had problems with a sticky clutch. 

#196 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:48 pm

At your mileage I'd expect the cush springs behind the basket to be past their best, so probably best to replace it with the power hop up

#197 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:35 am

I am just going to suck it and see. if it starts causing problems I will upgrade. its not like I am turboing the beast. 

speaking of clutches, my attempt at a hydraulic clutch conversion has not gone so well. the ratio of the master and slave cylinder is wrong. its too stiff and with a short throw. 

Looks like I am going to have to go back to the original idea of the magura master cylinder with the some custom switch gear.

#198 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:53 am

Looking good. :good:  Should have them mk1 panels for you soon.

Yeah, might as well wait and see what extra pony's ya get afore forking out on a new basket.  From what I recall reading on here, some baskets do wear over time and only one basket has broken.  It is possible to replace the basket springs, someone on here did it many moons ago.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#199 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:20 am

Looking good. :good:  Should have them mk1 panels for you soon.

Yeah, might as well wait and see what extra pony's ya get afore forking out on a new basket.  From what I recall reading on here, some baskets do wear over time and only one basket has broken.  It is possible to replace the basket springs, someone on here did it many moons ago.

Studz are yew referring to basket replacement on a TDM 900 or and 850 as i'd not heard of 9er basket problems?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#200 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:43 am