#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:50 pm

......so there I was, paying attention, whilst at the same time minding my own business, on my way to visit a dear friend in hospital......
So, (as they say nowadays) preparing to turn right from the outside lane after the upcoming traffic island,
when the car on the inside turned right across me...no prior signal...doh!
Hit the kerb of the island....and the next thing I know is Im pinned down by the bike trapping my right leg.

Kind guys lifted it off me..............and several visits to hospital later.....

So (ditto)...... is there a suitable & effective glue to repair the black inner-fairing? (850 mk2 /4TX )

or, maybe more sensibly, does anyone have a replacement black inner fairing they would be prepared
to flog me.......PLEASE!

Jff

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:59 pm

Eeeks sorry to ear of your off jiff.

Might be worth putting a wanted ad in the ..wanted section fur the black cockpit surround....they don't seem to come up that often though.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:01 pm

I use Plastifix. really strong stuff and you can remake plastic mounts etc with it.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:37 pm

I used qbond  to rebuild a 900 inner

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#5 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:07 pm

+1 for Q Bond. Bad news about the off..get back in that saddle cowboy!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#6 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:23 pm

Hopefully your on the mend
Fixitsan posted about plastic repairs yesterday
Worth a look ( it's in his Fixing block thread )

Andy

#7 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:06 am

Norton Speedgrip is a 2 part epoxy used by body shops to repair plastics.  It comes in several variations (different set times).  One of them is black when it dries.  It is very strong but maintains some flexibility, unlike other epoxies.  I know you can get it on the US Amazon, not sure if UK Amazon has it.

91LrVl6xLhL._SY879_.jpg

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:58 am

The problem I find with most adhesives is their readiness to fail in low temperature. IfI have a glued item and need to unstick it freezing often works.

We had -7C last week and in the garage I was able to remove epoxy from a joint which at warmer temperatures you would swear wouldn't budge

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:46 am

Superglue and baking soda.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:18 pm

That stuff looks to do a decent job for not much hassle.

Someone on here posted about doing plastic repairs by dissolving some plastic in acetone, using the much to repair the damage, and then it hardens as the acetone evaporates off.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 ManonEdge

ManonEdge

sticking around

• 39 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:34 pm

Plastex kit mate as featured in the YouTube video above , its good stuff. Ive repaired the same bit your on about, even rebuilt a bit that was missing.

Attached Files

#12 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:40 pm

I've done an awful lot of repairs with the Plastex kit, have also done some with bi-carb and super glue and the Plastex seems to be the same result only somewhat finer.....maybe need to sieve the bi-carb :) a good buy for sure.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#13 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:27 am

I gave up on gluing fairings and panels and now "plastic weld".  Easy enough to do with a soldering iron and some donor plastic that you can use on the back of the panel.

You can melt the panels together and build the area up with something like black cable ties.  If you want it not easily visible only do the underside of course, but melt deep enough to get a good bond.

#14 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:53 pm

I gave up on gluing fairings and panels and now "plastic weld".  Easy enough to do with a soldering iron and some donor plastic that you can use on the back of the panel.

You can melt the panels together and build the area up with something like black cable ties.  If you want it not easily visible only do the underside of course, but melt deep enough to get a good bond.

Yep, done the same - just make sure the donor plastic is also ABS

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#15 Richardhuddleston

Richardhuddleston

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:16 pm

Hot melt glue's an option.  It remains very slightly flexible when set and it's nearly free once you buy the gun.  £7 off ebay with 10 sticks of glue.  Thousands of uses.

#16 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:09 pm

I've tried hot glue for a few things but can never get it to stick properly. I've seen loads of vids on youtube extolling it's virtues. Maybe I've been buying dodgy glue sticks. I've got two guns and sticks from different sources but neither made a difference. Maybe I've prepared the surfaces wrong.

#17 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:30 am

Hot glue is ok for many purposes, but it's not good for any long term things as it's flexibility is it's downfall.  Certainly not tough enough to bond fairing panels for any length of time.

It's good for items that are temporary though as you can peel them off without damage to the surfaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users