7 replies to this topic

#1 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:54 pm

So I got myself a TDM (obviously), after many years sans motorbike. I joined a Senior MC club, and they offer some marvellous Driver Development courses. Did the basic one, to reaquire my decades old driving skills, as well as some new ones.

Next step was track day, yesterday. Main themes safe overtaking, braking in before turns, ideal path through turns. 15 minute passes x 4, with 35 bikes on the track, at free speed.

Pass 1: Oh my gocking fod! This is friggin' SCARY! I wanna go home and cry!

Pass 4: Bring it ON! Biggest grin ever!

Needless to say, amongst all the big KTMs, ZZRs, CBRs, MT10s, Ducatis, Aprilias et al, I didn't overtake much. :) The straights never saw me above 180 km/h, more likely in the 160s.

In the turns, on the other hand ... I kept pushing the tails of those plastic rockets zooming past me on the straights, and more so as I gained confidence. Sometimes I even had to slow down (no overtaking in curves).

Apart from the straights I mainly stayed in third, working in the 5000-9000 rpm range, whereas my codrivers generally were above 9000, and gearing their toes sore to boot.

First peg contact rattled me some, but I soon developed a feel for when to expect it, learning by each pass to lean inn more to get even closer to the kerbs without sacrificing (too much) speed.

Slightly scary moment being far too late at the end of the short straight, braking hard and gearing down a tad too aggressively at the same time, causing the mother of all fishtails WHILE I had to bend into the curve or hit the gravel pit. Almost had to change my underwear at that one.

I did have some worries about my tires, being quite old (10/2013 Bridgestones), but they stuck like gum.

Suspension (stock) is set up on the hard side, but I haven't fiddled around with it yet. My skills are a far bigger limit than the suspension anyway, but I'll get to it eventually.

Now, I'm on the tall side at 188 (that's 6'2 for the metrically challenged) with gorilla limbs. I definitely need a wider, taller, straighter and more forward bar and lower pegs. I'll look into a 755 with 20 mm higher and forward risers, and 40/50 mm lower pegs. It appears not too much road clearance is sacrificed, either.

Oh, and the trip home - 130 km on mostly winding country roads at dusk, with the comfort of the hand protectors and heated grips (for a total of less than £40), with thin and airy summer gloves ...

Attached Files

Edited by Norwegian, 16 August 2019 - 03:35 pm.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:17 pm

Sounds like a cracking day and you've seen a big improvement, er just go easy on the road now, good write up :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:41 pm

Made me wanna go there again! Been on one of those track days, took the course as well, and had a marvellous training in absolute skybreaking rain! Took away my fear of water on the road for a few years 😎
Bjørge

#4 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:49 am

I'm jealous. Sound like an amazing day.

#5 Rents

Rents

sticking around

• 21 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 22 March 2022 - 06:15 pm

Sounds like a total hoot! Im getting something booked pronto! 😂

Edited by Rents, 22 March 2022 - 06:15 pm.

#6 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:02 pm

Excellent. Any form of rider development is worth it's weight in gold.

You've stumbled across another TDM secret, they handle really well! Some other owners have gleefully complained about being held up by sports bikes through the corners on track days.

A few sprot bike jockeys must have had some WTF thoughts when a TDM thunders up behind them as they try to get a knee down. :lol:

That back tyre looks really happy.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#7 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:13 pm

My old riding mate John (R.I.P.) once asked how the fu*k I could leave him behind so easily on the twisties. He was riding a ZZR1100 at the time. He'd get his own back on the fast straight bits though. I remember chasing him down an autobahn in Germany some years back with him deliberately sitting just under my top speed, dropping a gear and sodding off into the sunset.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 March 2022 - 06:49 am

Reminds me of Jolly at Snetterton catching other riders up at the end of the straight on the brakes. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users