dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:58 pm

Attached File  20191004_124027.jpg   139.41KB   1 downloads

And so it begin's, give a monkey a wrench and see wot happens.

Attached File  20190419_142731.jpg   204.61KB   4 downloads

Got two buckets stuck in-situ on #1 cylinder, magnet pulled the rest out but even a pair of long nose pliers wont have these out :huh: so will address that a bit later on, prolly end up needing 2 new ones.

Attached File  20190419_142750.jpg   168.11KB   3 downloads

Thought these might have been coked up a bit more,not to bad really although piston pin on cylinder 2 took some persuading to free up.

Attached File  20190419_150411.jpg   148.58KB   2 downloads

Barrels are smooth with a very slight lip at the top right of both cylinders.

Attached File  20190419_152329.jpg   127.4KB   2 downloads

Lookin a bit polished.

Attached File  20190419_163834.jpg   109.18KB   2 downloads

Oil pump cover fookin siliconed along with the 2 dowels, i mean really wots the point a gasket's not expensive, could'nt budge the feed pump after undoing the 3 screws which hold it on, according to Haynes it should slop off but, me thinks maybe the cam chain guide needs to come of 1st..

Thought i would take the Rotor of 1st this morning then changed me mind and decided to strip ala Stud's suggestion from his Blog and anchor same like wot he did.

Knees are knackered now me thinks a beer may help.

Edited by dablik, 05 October 2019 - 06:37 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:27 pm

Looked at oil pamp pic afore text. Was confuzzled lolzio
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:03 pm

I meant the whole outside cover daps, sillycone shoited back on...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:04 pm

Ewe could try a plunger style rubber such as valve laper inner to remove stubborn buckets. If ewe try and use oubt to grip em protect buckets first with cloth or summat.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:30 pm

Ewe could try a plunger style rubber such as valve laper inner to remove stubborn buckets. If ewe try and use oubt to grip em protect buckets first with cloth or summat.

Hm, good idea Batman, i may have summit layin about.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:33 pm

I reckon the camshaft bearing inbetween the 2 stuck buckets might be slightly lipped, preventing removal.  Same thing happened to Blackpins mk1, a delecate dremel session soon got rid of the lip. :)

Piston tops look pretty decent, what do the top end and valves look like ?  Remember the direction of the arrows on top of the pistoons.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:38 pm

Cheers mucka will check it out later, not had the valves out yet matey, will get the rest of the motor done and out before i have a look at the head, will post some photo's when i do.

Pistons are marked up with piccies taken, took a ton of photo's and bagged a load of stuff, slow going, well it's just me really :)

Edited by dablik, 19 April 2019 - 07:39 pm.

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:51 pm

I use a 4kg-pull magnet for buckets bud

Re-read about possible lip - mag wont do it then

Edited by Favs, 19 April 2019 - 10:31 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:02 pm

One of the cam bearing oil feed holes is peened over, I had the same, just ran a drill through it to clear

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:30 am

I use a 4kg-pull magnet for buckets bud

Re-read about possible lip - mag wont do it then

Well stuck Al, would'nt even budge when swmbo shouted at them :)

One of the cam bearing oil feed holes is peened over, I had the same, just ran a drill through it to clear

Good spot had'nt noticed that yet :good:

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:12 am

Well stuck Al, would'nt even budge when swmbo shouted at them :)

A quick scratch around the edge with a stanley knife, which is much harder than the soft ally head :)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#12 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:29 pm

A quick scratch around the edge with a stanley knife, which is much harder than the soft ally head :)

Had another bash today and they are only moving about 2mm, got a small pointy scalpel so will give that a try.

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:52 pm

Well weekend not as productive as i would of liked in the main due to some tooling and i'm a slow fooker.

Will post a few piccies later but internet is pretty slow loading just now.

Edited by dablik, 21 April 2019 - 05:53 pm.

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:56 pm

Snot a race dabbers. Slow n steady and get it roight.

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:39 pm

Could'nt budge the flywheel bolt yesterday, that sucker was on and tight as a nun's chuff, however today got it off with an impact driver, interestingly it took the middle setting which is between something like 500nm-750nm to shift it.

Clutch holding tool all set only to find the clutch nut is an odd size 29mm, of course not a size you find in a regular socket set.  30mm now i've found a battery for me digital calipers ;)

Attached File  20190420_152153.jpg   117.93KB   1 downloads

Got the flywheel puller set up but they only supply 2 M8 HT bolts which appeared to pull it off centre somewhat so found a 3rd to even things, then i managed to break the reducer i had to use (lost me 14mm 1/2" on me 9r in Spain and not replaced) to fit a 14mm socket, think a new socket set is on the cards.

Stopped the flywheel moving by copying Studley's effort and it works well, how ever it will have to wait now until i get a bit better tooled up.

Attached File  20190421_125524.jpg   157.73KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20190420_120247.jpg   174.83KB   1 downloads

Decided to have a look at the head and have another bash at the stuck buckets, took a scalpel in hand and then chickened out, heated them up and shocked them with freeze spray and they still wont budge, looking like i'll be replacing them at this point i plopped a small pair of mole grips on, still aint moving, so likely have to come up with another plan or take them in to get removed, makes me wonder if i have a couple of bent valves, so i went ahead and removed the valve springs off the rest of them, had no difficulty using a big screwdriver and magnet, worked a treat, and pulled the valve stem oil seals which to my surprise were'nt as bad as i thought, they were a bit hard but otherwise not bad, i'm assuming they were replaced at some point. Inlet valves on quick inspection and wiggle feel seem okay, the exhaust a bit wigglier (check specs) but also sticking.

Attached File  20190421_162404.jpg   128.27KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20190421_162304.jpg   78.08KB   1 downloads

Removed the exhaust studs using some home brew monkey jizz an a cupla nuts, looks like they were heli coiled, one recently, may replace the other 3 and make it all blingy.

Attached File  20190421_172122.jpg   210.36KB   2 downloads

Valve seats, not looking so bad.

Attached File  20190421_172224.jpg   97.67KB   2 downloads

That's reminded me looking back at the piccies, i should at least put some tape around the cylinder stud threads to protect them a bit..

Edited by dablik, 22 April 2019 - 09:48 am.

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:37 am

HB puller looks like a really neat solution for alt.

Where is you cake trolley attached for clutch basket? Looks like to clutch cover bolt hole in c.case???? The is a fair amount of gumption needed to release that nut!

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:13 am

Not a bad days work Dabs. :)  Don't think you need to use the basket holding tool if you've got the bar through the conrod.  Can't you use the impact driver to tighten the rotor puller bolt ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#18 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:02 am

Kung Fu star looks well used

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:09 am

HB puller looks like a really neat solution for alt.

Where is you cake trolley attached for clutch basket? Looks like to clutch cover bolt hole in c.case???? The is a fair amount of gumption needed to release that nut!

Daps i've spaced the bolt behind the metal bar to the steel plate so it hooks nicely over the basket, if that metal is not strong enough i can use a piece of 4x2 in it's place.

Edit.. yup you is roight fella, steel clutch plate now bent loike a banana, i have another cunning plan.

Not a bad days work Dabs. :)  Don't think you need to use the basket holding tool if you've got the bar through the conrod.  Can't you use the impact driver to tighten the rotor puller bolt ?

Ah, yep never even entered me mind matey, i had made that up before getting the flywheel bolt off to get a bit done, well i only got the 19mm impact socket along with the driver as i had to rush over to Dave's as he was going out and had'nt even noted the size for the puller nut, i'll see can i get hold of him, this is one tool he does'nt want me hanging on to :lol:

Edit.. Watched a video of that puller being used on an alt and when the chap stuck a impact onnit the chicken foot split down the middle :huh:

Nope just tried it and the clutch still spinning, bikes in neutral innit.

Kung Fu star looks well used

Looking at the photo it does now you mention it Al, maybe the photo angle i'll take another when it's off BUT it bloody should'nt, that's an Afam sprocket with only around 2000 miles onnit !!!

Anyone got thought's on the stuck buckets or ?? likely the valves will have to be boogered off, case hardened though are'nt they..

Edited by dablik, 22 April 2019 - 09:52 am.

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:50 am

Prolly a bit late dabbers but alt holdy tool
http://www.carpe-tdm...-1264631253.jpg

Clutch holdy tool
http://www.carpe-tdm...-1264631345.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users