#161 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:40 pm

Aha good find dabbers....well I really should get on with that very slow build...7years on and in a few more I will hopefully get back to it!!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#162 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,744 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:51 pm

Good man, iffin ewe shud nead azzistunce pleas ask :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#163 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:00 pm

Oh dear.............Rotor + Angle grinder   :isurrender:  think we saw that coming, was going so well until it did'nt... calmed down a bit now, that's just put paid to me Motogadget solid state electrics then  :( 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#164 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:27 pm

What rotor are we talking about here fella? I know what an angle grinder is! ;-)
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#165 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:46 pm

Piccie?

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#166 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:57 am

You tease ! :D  What happened ? 

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#167 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:08 am

You tease ! :D  What happened ? 

:) :)

Moment of inattention amidst the sparks, think i was getting frustrated with it...

Attached File  20190616_155507.jpg   110KB   0 downloads

In hindsight i should of gone about it a bit different, should of cut the back off the top half for better access above the  taper really. Slightly bigger disc would of been more helpful but that means another grinder.

Attached File  20190616_132015.jpg   167.41KB   0 downloads

Think that'll be getting binned.

Should leave well alone sometimes eh.

Edited by dablik, 17 June 2019 - 09:30 am.

#168 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:19 am

Ooops. Yeah, looks a bit too damaged to re-use eh.

Dunno if a repair could be done though, some clever engineer out there might weld it then grind it down for ya ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#169 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:28 am

Ooops. Yeah, looks a bit too damaged to re-use eh.

Dunno if a repair could be done though, some clever engineer out there might weld it then grind it down for ya ?

Dunno matey, been having a read about and a weld repair appears to only be a fix short term as it's a "soft" repair, JB weld has been used with some success but that shaft will get pulled every which way under load, ya know wot i'm like so guess it will be replaced, i knew going in i would likely have a few screw ups and while not happy about the cost to replace it's offset somewhat by not being on the road, ho hum, back of the class for me :)

#170 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:15 am

Cock badgers!!!!!

Keyway ok? Crank snout not sealing oubt? Hmmm.

Do you gots new rotor dabbers or do I need to pull you (one) off?

#171 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:39 am

Bit chancey i spose daps, keyway is further back on the taper in the pic, also i think it would play with me head no end iffin i put that back in, it's a mega fook up but being the stubborn git i am just had to have a go.

Not replaced the rotor yet matey, so you could pull one off for me :D 

#172 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:12 am

I will pull one off for you anytime you loike!! May even make a proper indestructatool fur the job.

#173 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:32 pm

I will pull one off for you anytime you loike!! May even make a proper indestructatool fur the job.

:wub: let's hope i wont have to borra ya indestructatool in the future huh....

Was hoping for a new future rebuilding tdm engines :D

#174 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:08 pm

Cock badgers!!!!!

Keyway ok? Crank snout not sealing oubt? Hmmm.

Do you gots new rotor dabbers or do I need to pull you (one) off?

Yup. There's not much force happening where the cuts have been made, just rotational forces.  Weld repair would basically add the metal back to the crank and make it balanced.  Might be worth at least asking an auto engineering bod what he/she thinks as it'd save ya messing about sorting out new shells for a different crank.  And, no potential risks of buying a used crank.

#175 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:17 pm

Don't be too quick to bin dabbers. The snout ain't doing much, it snot interfering with oubt so just need to make sure it don't make any significant balance diff, which I'm guessing it won't. Hmmm

#176 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:26 pm

Righto chaps wont bin it, will find a spot furrit for now and attack it again sometime, perhaps when burr bits arrived for the die grinder, got some for the dremel but it's shoite, motor heats up quite quick, hence the angle grinder coming out, oh and i've pulled the trigger now.

It's just the Hmmm daps, can you imagine finishing only to find it wont stay put, oh i would'nt sleep again.......ever, not doubting your or Ian's know how as it's much more than mine but it would really make me crazy to redo the engwin and find an issue with the rotor at a later date, of course by then i'll be an expert :unsure2: but would rather pay the price now than the same price later for all the gaskets if i have to re-do, catch 22.

Now you know why the threads titled "Destruction" instead of rebuild.

Edited by dablik, 17 June 2019 - 05:34 pm.

#177 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:34 pm

Cliff we must be related as i can be a brutal so & so when it comes to repairs too! Is that the rotor that inflicted the breakage on the pullers?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#178 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:01 am

Cliff we must be related as i can be a brutal so & so when it comes to repairs too! Is that the rotor that inflicted the breakage on the pullers?

The very same Ken, it's quite awkward using the grinder on it, but i am a bit hamfisted an all...

#179 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:33 pm

A few more hours on the job, nasty doing this one by hand in increments of size, anyhoo that's the three snapped exhaust studs drilled out and all 4 tapped ready for a 2.5D helicoil.

Attached File  20190620_113950.jpg   209.47KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190620_121529.jpg   236.88KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190620_144356.jpg   228.35KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190620_164700.jpg   185.02KB   0 downloads

#180 dablik

dablik

• 10,744 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:58 pm

Spent hours today cleaning every bolt hole thread on/in the engine by hand with a tap, glad that's over.

Iffin you remember back in the thread i mentioned shim buckets/valve lifters and how 2 different colours are available fo rthe mk1, Red and Blue, after perusing the interweb it seems that the difference (in the thousandth's) is diameter size, however i've also come across what appears to be a colour match in the head which relates to the bucket colour for each respective valve.

Attached File  20190621_163657.jpg   165.61KB   0 downloads

It's a little hard to see specific colours in the pic, also because they have faded over the last 28 years but considering only Red/Blue are available it's not to difficult to see which is which closer up ! (some yams apparently have yella/blue or black much like bearing sizes) on the exhaust side you can see four spots of paint, which look like Blue Blue Blue, Red and that's the case bar one bucket showing no colour (Red).

Attached File  20190621_163711.jpg   208.17KB   0 downloads

And on the inlet side are six spots but difficult to see in the pic, a couple were in different places but i assume that may of happened during a shim change at some point and one bucket again without a colour, will get around to measuring them soon.

Attached File  20190621_163717.jpg   123.61KB   0 downloads

And this arrived from France today

Attached File  20190621_174600.jpg   118.96KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users