#1 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:21 pm

Hi guys. 

Sorry if this has been covered before - I did a quick search on 'E10' but nuthin' showed up. I gather the government is going to start a push on E10 petrol and my question is are TDMs (in my case a 9er) happy to run on this?

I've been to France a few times on tour where this fuel is available everywhere but generally I've avoided it to 'be on the safe side'.

Anyone got any views, ideas, knowledge on this?

Happy days are nearly here again! Cheers all.

Riggers

#2 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:08 pm

I've used it regularly Riggers...no issues so far...apparently it's accused of causing deterioration in seals,O rings,diaphragms etc but I've been using E5 for ever in the TDM,the previous TDM, a 78 Kwaker and a 66 Triumph with no issues yet...I don't expect E10 to be any worse...time will tell..hth

#3 Fandango

Fandango

sticking around

• 22 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:03 pm

Anything 2011 onwards is built to handle the ethanol content.  There's a big grey area from 2002 to 2011 where it was up to the manufacturer to implement the required changes - Gov guidance is go back to the manufacturer if you're uncertain (clearly washing their hands of it!). 

Anything pre 2002 will have to use super unleaded as that has either 5% ethanol (e5) or none at all.

The issues with E5 have been sorted as even older bikes will have had gasket changes etc over years and the new gaskets are built to handle ethanol - hence why Apache probably hasn't had any issues.

#4 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:35 pm

Will my motorbike run on E10 petrol?

If you do not have the sticker, consult your owner’s manual or, failing that, contact your dealer. MCN spoke to major bike brands back in 2013 when E10 was first introduced to find out what a switch to higher ethanol fuel would mean for them.

The least-affected brands were Yamaha, Triumph, Honda and BMW. Yamaha and Triumph both said that all models from 1990-on are compatible with E10, while Honda said everything post-1993 is compatible, although carburettor-equipped models could experience poor driveability in cold weather.

BMW said that all their models regardless of the year of manufacture can run on E10 fuel with no adverse effects.

My owners book for a 1996 Honda Blackbird says do not use fuel with higher than 5% ethanol 

Edited by ramo, 04 March 2021 - 04:43 pm.

#5 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:51 pm

The issues with E5 have been sorted as even older bikes will have had gasket changes etc over years and the new gaskets are built to handle ethanol - hence why Apache probably hasn't had any issues.[/quote]

Not the case fandango....I've owned the Z1000 from new 1978..neither the carbs nor the motor have ever been stripped (50k)....I haven't toured on it using E10 but it's had oodles of E5 without problems. User manuals are naturally going to contain disclaimers and apart from anecdote I've never met anybody first hand whose had a problem.........just my experience so far....

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:21 pm

Although E10 might not do any damage, it'll be interesting to see if the bikes run as good as they do on unleaded, or E5.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:26 am

Less mpg as ethanol has less oomph

Edited by leehenty, 05 March 2021 - 09:26 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#8 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:20 pm

Will my motorbike run on E10 petrol?

If you do not have the sticker, consult your owner’s manual or, failing that, contact your dealer. MCN spoke to major bike brands back in 2013 when E10 was first introduced to find out what a switch to higher ethanol fuel would mean for them.

The least-affected brands were Yamaha, Triumph, Honda and BMW. Yamaha and Triumph both said that all models from 1990-on are compatible with E10, while Honda said everything post-1993 is compatible, although carburettor-equipped models could experience poor driveability in cold weather.

BMW said that all their models regardless of the year of manufacture can run on E10 fuel with no adverse effects.

My owners book for a 1996 Honda Blackbird says do not use fuel with higher than 5% ethanol 

That just about covers it then Ramo, and thanks for sharing. My 9er is 2009 so should be OK. The handbook simply states 'Unleaded 91 octane or better'.

Cheers,

Riggers.

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful.  :good:

#9 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 March 2021 - 07:43 pm

Riggers

Europe says yes :good:

https://www.acem.eu/...tegorise/33-e10

#10 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 02:37 pm

Hi guys. 

Sorry if this has been covered before - I did a quick search on 'E10' but nuthin' showed up. I gather the government is going to start a push on E10 petrol and my question is are TDMs (in my case a 9er) happy to run on this?

I've been to France a few times on tour where this fuel is available everywhere but generally I've avoided it to 'be on the safe side'.

Riggers

In France at the mo and spotted E85 at the supermarket station. Not sure what is for nor what engine type.

Edited by LAURENCEAUX, 13 November 2021 - 02:38 pm.

#11 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 November 2021 - 09:25 pm

Hi guys. 

Riggers

In France at the mo and spotted E85 at the supermarket station. Not sure what is for nor what engine type.

Modern fuel flex vehicles can use it. It's 85% ethanol and 15% petrol. It's cheaper but your fuel consumption increases. I accidentally put some in my 3VD and although it ran, it ran like a burst arse until I cleared it out and refilled with E5 petrol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users