7 replies to this topic

#1 Trotski

Trotski

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:02 am

I have finally found the time to finish up a report on the TDUT2012 at Berridale
Thanks to all whose Photos I've pinched

After a false start earlier in the year due to some of the heaviest rain, flooding, landslides and washouts I've seen in the area in years, we had come to the conclusion that it would be safer to postpone and move the date to October.

So the date rolls around and on the Thursday Night before the day and it's snowing out my front door, not only that it snowing in South OZ !!!! :wacko: , yet again I seem to have picked the worst weather for decades for a gathering.

Friday dawned cold and cloudy with some scattered showers, (how bloody depressing) Brentong and Azza where already on the way from Adelaide and Bendigo. I had only 90kms to get to Berridale and left at around 2pm arriving at about 3:30pm and parked up at the Pub to wait for everyone, Brentong rolled up first followed by Azza and Mrs Azza .

After booking in to the Motel we waited for the rest to arrive, Graeme, Merlot, and Postman Pat, Matridigan arrived later in the evening, after with had an excellent meal at the Berridale Pub, which was a good thing, it being the only place in town to eat.
Posted Image
After some discussion on the route for Saturday, it was decided to head to the coast and let the weather in the mountains clear up a bit
Posted Image

Saturday morning was clear but cold about +3C, I led the troops into Cooma for Breaky at Macca's
Posted Image
After many comments on the Truck like torque of the MT01 we discovered Graeme's little secret
Posted Image

Off to the coast on the Snowy Mountains Hwy, about 40kms to Nimmitabel open country with some nice fast sweeping curves through "The Monaro", (a naturally treeless plain in the rain shadow of the Australian Alps) regrouping at Nimmitabel it's press on to Brown Mt and Bemboka,
Posted Image
A steep descent with many hairpins and tight corners (and stupid 4WD's) which after 8kms opens out into the Bega Valley (home of the famous Cheese) regrouping at the Bemboka Pie Shop for Coffee and a Pie.
Then down the Valley to Bega along a lovely undulating road through the Dairy country, after Bega along the Prince's Hwy to Eden. We pulled in to the Wharf at Eden for Lunch
Posted Image
Posted Image
after some nice fresh fish and chips we took off for the Mt Imlay road, a beautiful piece of road built for logging trucks, approx 70km of well designed, almost parabolic, corners sweeping up from the coast over the escarpment through old growth forest to the Monaro plain at Bombala
Posted Image
there where some showers in the area as we left Bombala so I pressed on to the next turn at Ando and noticed that I had lost them all, knowing I'm not "that" good a rider, I went back to find them repairing Merlot's flat tyre
Posted Image
after repairing Merlot's rear tyre, we run up the Snowy river Way towards Dalgety
Posted Image
Posted Image
Through some light rain we can see some heavy stuff toward Jindabyne, so I decided to take the Maffra Rd back to Cooma and Berridale to avoid it, getting back to the Motel we wandered up to the Pub for another great feed, i rode to the Pub, but the others walk (about 750mtrs) and they all got drenched on the walk home.
After Dinner we watched, as tradition dictates, "On any Sunday", to the back drop of the rain bucketing down.

Sunday dawned with clear blue sky, no wind and (relatively) warm temperatures, perfect for the Alpine way loop.
Posted Image
Mrs Azza decided to have a rest day today and Postman Pat had to leave to return to work on Monday, we went out the driveway of the Motel and Left on to Middlingbank rd towards Adaminaby, a good twisting road through High country grazing land, Snow still banked up on the edges of the road, temps dropped to just above zero, 30ks of this till the road opens up to more of the Monaro and another 40ks to Adaminaby where we stopped for Breakfast and Coffee.
The Big Trout at Adaminaby
Posted Image

From Adaminaby the Hwy runs up into the hills with some nice tight bit around Sawyer's Hill and in to Kiandra, where Pat left us to go home via Tumut.
Posted Image
from here we went past 3 mile Dam swooping along the ridges and gullies on to Cabramurra, regrouping for Coffee and some photos.
Posted Image
Posted Image
From Cabra to Khancoban down the link road regrouping at the dams
Posted Image
Tooma Dam
Posted Image
after a quick bite at the Khancoban Servo we're off to Tom Groggin, thundering through (at legal speeds of course) the best bit of the Alpine way up past Murray 1 to Scammell's Lookout
Posted Image
closer to Tom Groggin
Posted Image
throwing rocks at Victoria
Posted Image
from here we push on up the tight stuff to Dead Horse Gap and through Thredbo Valley in to Jindabyne for more Coffee,
seeing the time we ran hard back to Berridale just in time to watch the star of the GP
Posted Image
Perfect end to a perfect ride.
And then supprise, Mrs Azza had baked a Cake
Posted Image

But, it had to end and we all left to go home on Monday morning, Thanks to Brentong, Azza, Mrs Azza, Graeme, Merlot, Postman Pat & Matridigan for the great company, I'm glad you all enjoyed the ride.
Stay tuned for the Thunder Down Under Tour 2013.

Edited by Trotski, 27 October 2012 - 03:06 am.

Trotski

All ways remember, A Pessimist Is Never Disappointed

'98 CT200P AutoAg , '93 Purple Kawasaki ZZR 250, 2004 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250 2005 Black Kawasaki ZZR 250
1999 Baltic Blue TDM 850 2010 Black TDM900

#2 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:23 am

Nice write up and piccys, bit to far for a ride out for me. :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:57 am

Brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to write that up Trotski, gives a little insight into what we missed.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,316 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:08 pm

Great scenery, great roads. Thanks for sharing!

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#5 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:44 pm

Thanks for the write up Trotski; proof of good memories. :)

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#6 merlot

merlot

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:48 am

Thanks for the write up Trotski; proof of good memories. :)

+1 thanks dave :good:
he who dies with the most toys wins

#7 OzMOTO

OzMOTO

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 54 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:24 pm

Sounds like a great time was had by all .... except me! :-)

Next year! After just over 4 months since my 'little accident' I'm hoping to be back on the bike in the next week or so .....

Craig (ozmoto)

#8 graeme

graeme

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:36 am

Sounds like a great time was had by all .... except me! :-)

Next year! After just over 4 months since my 'little accident' I'm hoping to be back on the bike in the next week or so .....

Craig (ozmoto)

Hi Craig, you would have enjoyed it, great photo ops!!
Good luck with your recovery and getting back to riding
best wishes
Graeme

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users