#41 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:27 pm

Well I got bored earlier so I decided to attack the coil for the last time.

I did notice though that if you look at the gap inbetween the top of the tank and the bottom of the top headrace, there is a channel in the top of the frame. I did a little test with a syringe of water, and the water runs down this channel... and drops straight onto the l/h mounting post of the coil where the earth connector is, and also hits the connector on the coil that sparks!

There's also a strip of sponge around the front edge of the tank that I suppose is there to stop vibrations. I made that wet (as would happen if the bike stood in the rain all day). Once the sponge became waterlogged, the water was draining down that channel - and onto the connector and earth connection!!

So I removed the coil and took all the melted amalgamating tape off (it melted cos I sprayed it with damp-start last time ranting.gif ) and taped it up again PROPERLY. I also covered up the offending connector itself and once the coil was attached back onto the frame I covered the l/h post too. So now all that is visible is the positive connector; I say positive cos the wire is red unsure.gif Having re-connected all the battery connections, I started her up and squirted water all over the covered connection and the bike didn't stutter once. good.gif

Just before putting the airbox back on, I emptied an ice cream tub (raspberry ripple with bits of cake in it...yummy munching_out.gif ) and cut a strip (about 5 inches wide) ot of the bottom of it. I taped this plastic to the front of the airbox up under the sponge with gaffa tape so that when the airbox was replaced it hung down in front of the coil like a shield. Tested it with the syringe and the water ran down the plastic and didn't go near the coil wifgeni.gif

Hopefully this is the end of the problems. I dread to thing what a mechanic would think if he saw it. It's a definite bodge job, but just maybe its one of mine that actually works!!!!

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

#42 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:55 pm

you will have to report back on this once you have been out in the rain next time (shouldn't take too long) cos if this works mine will be coming apart to get the same treatment, although i would probably use a tub of neopolitan ice cream.

#43 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:56 pm

QUOTE(Pantboy @ Sun 4th May 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you will have to report back on this once you have been out in the rain next time (shouldn't take too long) cos if this works mine will be coming apart to get the same treatment, although i would probably use a tub of neopolitan ice cream.

Should have done some pics; if I can get hold of a camera I will whip the tank off and take some.

#44 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:49 pm

QUOTE(brightonTDM @ Sun 4th May 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I got bored earlier so I decided to attack the coil for the last time.

I did notice though that if you look at the gap inbetween the top of the tank and the bottom of the top headrace, there is a channel in the top of the frame. I did a little test with a syringe of water, and the water runs down this channel... and drops straight onto the l/h mounting post of the coil where the earth connector is, and also hits the connector on the coil that sparks!

There's also a strip of sponge around the front edge of the tank that I suppose is there to stop vibrations. I made that wet (as would happen if the bike stood in the rain all day). Once the sponge became waterlogged, the water was draining down that channel - and onto the connector and earth connection!!

So I removed the coil and took all the melted amalgamating tape off (it melted cos I sprayed it with damp-start last time ranting.gif ) and taped it up again PROPERLY. I also covered up the offending connector itself and once the coil was attached back onto the frame I covered the l/h post too. So now all that is visible is the positive connector; I say positive cos the wire is red unsure.gif Having re-connected all the battery connections, I started her up and squirted water all over the covered connection and the bike didn't stutter once. good.gif

Just before putting the airbox back on, I emptied an ice cream tub (raspberry ripple with bits of cake in it...yummy munching_out.gif ) and cut a strip (about 5 inches wide) ot of the bottom of it. I taped this plastic to the front of the airbox up under the sponge with gaffa tape so that when the airbox was replaced it hung down in front of the coil like a shield. Tested it with the syringe and the water ran down the plastic and didn't go near the coil wifgeni.gif

Hopefully this is the end of the problems. I dread to thing what a mechanic would think if he saw it. It's a definite bodge job, but just maybe its one of mine that actually works!!!!

well done that man !!!! i now remember reading about 4 years back that a TDM owner removed the sponge and used a strip of gaffa tape on each side of the fuel tank/frame spar interface and this fixed their wet weather running !!! BrightonTDM oil look at doin something similar as i had wet weather running probs. a few weeks back despite using self amalgamating tape and silicone etc, etc. good work.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#45 contractor

contractor

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:02 pm

Just got back from a weekend trip to Scotland - it was a long way to find the only rain in the UK! My new 900 played the bucking bronco thing around Glasgow. Lots of talk of self amal'gum'ating tape so i've just bought some - not fitted it yet. Doesn't somebody make some top quality HT leads that arn't affected by a bit of H20 ?

#46 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:45 pm

QUOTE(contractor @ Mon 12th May 2008, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got back from a weekend trip to Scotland - it was a long way to find the only rain in the UK! My new 900 played the bucking bronco thing around Glasgow. Lots of talk of self amal'gum'ating tape so i've just bought some - not fitted it yet. Doesn't somebody make some top quality HT leads that arn't affected by a bit of H20 ?

how ya contractor, yer HT leads might be arching against the frame spars.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#47 contractor

contractor

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:34 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 13th May 2008, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how ya contractor, yer HT leads might be arching against the frame spars.

Yup i'm going to check that as well when I can get round to taking all the plastic off (again).

Would any HT lead do the same or is that Mr Yamaha has skimped a bit with the quality of his original fitment leads?

#48 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:59 pm

QUOTE(Pantboy @ Sun 4th May 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Touch wood, but it sees to have worked!!!

Just as I left for work this morning, the heavens opened. And I mean opened.

The bike ran fine. No massive drops in revs or misfires (it does idle a bit rough anyway - carbs need doing). I didn't approach traffic lights with the "Oh sh*t I'm don't want to stop 'cos it will conk out again" feeling I usually get in the wet.

Then it sat out in the rain all afternoon. Ran fine on the way home (although it wasn't raining by home time and the roads were dry).

I should have a cam at the weekend, so in the afternoon I will do some pics.

#49 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:15 pm

Some pictures as promised.... sorry the quality isn't that great, but the camera on my phone is pants!!!!! ranting.gif

OOPS.... wrong one rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

#50 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:10 pm

good lad but we can't read that blurred red print on some of yer pics. i get the general idea though.

#51 Chatty

Chatty

sticking around

• 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:39 am

This post has made some good lunch time reading, unfortunately I am sat at work, TDM is outside, it's raining and I haven't done the waterproof mod yet. Fortunately the previous owner has fitted a fender extender so it may save me this time. I also have some glue type heatshrink on it's way so will combine this with some of the other great suggestions. BTW my XTZ never had any problems whatsoever, even whilst fording!!

ATB
Chatty
1999 TDM 850, Micron 2-1, Scottoiler, fender extender, Givi top box mounted on rear grab rail,

#52 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:51 am

QUOTE(Chatty @ Tue 27th May 2008, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This post has made some good lunch time reading, unfortunately I am sat at work, TDM is outside, it's raining and I haven't done the waterproof mod yet.
dont worry, not all TDMs have the wet weather problems
mine is still on the original coils/leads etc and they havent been touched......

however my XTZ does suffer with wet weather issues sad.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#53 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:09 pm

QUOTE(brightonTDM @ Thu 15th May 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Touch wood, but it sees to have worked!!!

Just as I left for work this morning, the heavens opened. And I mean opened.

The bike ran fine. No massive drops in revs or misfires (it does idle a bit rough anyway - carbs need doing). I didn't approach traffic lights with the "Oh sh*t I'm don't want to stop 'cos it will conk out again" feeling I usually get in the wet.

Then it sat out in the rain all afternoon. Ran fine on the way home (although it wasn't raining by home time and the roads were dry).

I should have a cam at the weekend, so in the afternoon I will do some pics.

Nick, i owe you a pint, took my bike apart on sunday and copied your plastic shield idea (no ice cream tubs though so i used an empty screen wash bottle)

came home from work today in an absolute deluge, and not a hiccup or splutter from the engine, was even confident enough to filter on the motorway which i would never dare do in the rain before just in case it surged.

the bike is even running better in the dry which i am putting down to the HT leads, when i removed the coils and leads to apply yet more self amalgamating tape the leads were loose at the coil and plug cap end. ohmy.gif so i tightened them up and hey presto better performance in the dry too.

ps. have you changed your name cos your thinking of getting a 900. tongue.gif

#54 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:52 pm

QUOTE(Pantboy @ Wed 28th May 2008, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nick, i owe you a pint pint of milk yes, I don't drink..., took my bike apart on sunday and copied your plastic shield idea (no ice cream tubs though so i used an empty screen wash bottle)

came home from work today in an absolute deluge, and not a hiccup or splutter from the engine, was even confident enough to filter on the motorway which i would never dare do in the rain before just in case it surged.

the bike is even running better in the dry which i am putting down to the HT leads, when i removed the coils and leads to apply yet more self amalgamating tape the leads were loose at the coil and plug cap end. ohmy.gif so i tightened them up and hey presto better performance in the dry too. That's spooky cos I did the same

ps. have you changed your name cos your thinking of getting a 900. tongue.gif You must be joking - now my TDM is cured the love of it has been rekindled. I was ready to chop it in and buy my mates R6!!!

I could probably do away with all the amalgamating tape on the coil now, but as it's there I'll leave it for now.

Edited by BN2TDM, 28 May 2008 - 07:05 pm.

#55 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:04 pm

Nick does that shield protect both coils ???

#56 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:30 am

I'll have a look on Saturday

The left hand one on my bike is buried under the wiring loom and IIRC the connectors point INTO the middle of the bike.

Will report back.

#57 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:10 am

wicky, when i did mine at the weekend i made it wider than Nick's, but offset it so it shielded both coils, (the left hand coil was more corroded than the right hand one on mine) i also made it longer and cut/shaped it to go around the various frame mounts.

#58 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:37 pm

QUOTE(Pantboy @ Thu 29th May 2008, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wicky, when i did mine at the weekend i made it wider than Nick's, but offset it so it shielded both coils, (the left hand coil was more corroded than the right hand one on mine) i also made it longer and cut/shaped it to go around the various frame mounts.

thas what i'm gonna do on both me TDM's. it always seems to be the LHS coil that suffers the most.

#59 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:45 am

ok i sorted me udder TDM's coils and HT leads d'udder day. I used a section of old plastic milk carton and cable ties to shroud the lhs coil but used an old mountain bike inner tube and cable ties to do a neater/better job on the rhs coil, basically i managed to cover up / protect the electrical connectors relating to each coil too as these get wet and corrode. I also decided to remove the grey sponge from the airbox as it holds alot of water when wet and probably add to 'the problem'. Sliding the inner tube over the coil was difficult so i used WD40 to help ease it on without tearing the rubber.... as you can see from the pics. i also used self amalgamating tape and black silicone to waterproof the HT leads and plug caps aswell as helping to prevent the leads from partially unwinding over time.

Edited by wicklamulla, 15 June 2008 - 01:57 am.

#60 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:34 pm

so maybe it's back to the 'drawing bored' huh.... laugh.gif biggrin.gif wacko.gif
http://www.carpe-tdm...amp;#entry88120

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users